Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 29, 1999

An action-adventure game set in 1980s Japan that follows one young man's journey to avenge his father's murder. It was praised for its ambitious scope and pioneered several gameplay features such as realistic open-world environments and Quick Time Events.

Shenmue 1+2 HD?

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By happenstance

Shenmue 1, 2 HD to launch on PSN, XBLA - report

Sega is ready to release HD updates of cult Dreamcast classics Shenmue and Shenmue 2, according to a new report.

Shenmue HD and Shenmue 2 HD will be released on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade, Gamerzines claimed.

Indeed development of both titles has been finished for over a year, an anonymous source said. The hold up was due to Sega working out the future of the Shenmue franchise, apparently. "Namely, whether or not Shenmue 3 would ever see the light of day," said the report.

If true, Shenmue's HD revamp follows similar efforts with other cult Dreamcast games. Sega recently announced Jet Set Radio HD, due out this summer.

Eurogamer has asked Sega for comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-shenmue-1-2-hd-to-launch-on-psn-xbla-report

God I hope this is true. "Anonymous source" doesnt fill me with confidence though

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty

I don't need this because Shenmue and Shenmue 2 already look razor sharp on my Dreamcast via VGA anyway. Cool for anybody that wants to play it without access to the original console.

I'll be interested if it's a revamp that makes them play a little better, if it's just slightly improved graphics and upping the resolution then I'm not really bothered.

Darth_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Darth_Slayer

I played the first on the Dreamcast so that in HD,well Iam not really sure if that is so great as they would have to amp up the graphics atleast a little bit.The second I played on Xbox and it was fine for me.

But that is a problem I have in general with these HD versions,out there are so many modders that sharpen up textures and they are doing it for free.Why cant a big developer who makes a lot of money with these HD version,not take the time to actually High Res the textures?It cant be that hard if some people manage to do it for free in their spare time can it?

Anyway lets just hope it does sell well,so SEGA might think about giving us closure in making the third part finally happen!

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By happenstance

I'll be getting them anyway but I would like them to smooth out the walking animations a bit, that was my only complaint last time I tried replaying it. Unfortunately id say thats doubtful.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero

STOP FUCKING WITH ME SEGA YOU KNOW WHAT I NEED

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By happenstance

Id say this is our best chance to finally see Shenmue 3 made. If these HD releases actually sell well it could finally convince them.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lemegeton

@Happenstance said:

Id say this is our best chance to finally see Shenmue 3 made. If these HD releases actually sell well it could finally convince them.

exactly my first thought when i saw this news. For years we fans have been screaming for Shenmue 3 so now Sega is laying down the gauntlet. Its time for the fans to put up or shut up. if this collection sells enough Sega will finally have their proof that Shenmue 3 will make money

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SamStrife

@Lemegeton: Sadly, it will prove Sega is right by barely selling at all :/

I'm certainly going to pick them up, love the hell out of the Shenmue games.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@SamStrife: I think it'll sell well enough to justify porting them over, there's the legion of fanboys and a lot of newcomers that will want to know what all the hype is about.

But there really isn't a chance of it doing so well, that they can fund Shenmue 3.. Which is a shame, I'd be happy with a short downloadable game, made in the same engine, that just finishes the story.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By happenstance

For the moment im just happy to be able to play Shenmue 1 again. I loved the sense of community in that game and walking around the town everyday. The search for sailors begins again!

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zyn

DO WANT!

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lemegeton

@Happenstance said:

For the moment im just happy to be able to play Shenmue 1 again. I loved the sense of community in that game and walking around the town everyday. The search for sailors begins again!

I think they hang out in bars ;-)

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lemegeton

@WinterSnowblind said:

@SamStrife: I think it'll sell well enough to justify porting them over, there's the legion of fanboys and a lot of newcomers that will want to know what all the hype is about.

But there really isn't a chance of it doing so well, that they can fund Shenmue 3.. Which is a shame, I'd be happy with a short downloadable game, made in the same engine, that just finishes the story.

Thats all most of us fans have ever wanted. just to know the rest of the story will be enough for me

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Legend

I hope this is true. I'd buy both in a second.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I never played Shenmue 1. I would totally buy that.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By hwy_61
    My body...it is ready.
    My body...it is ready.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

If you still can stand Shenmue, you're good. That game cannot have stood the test of time. Dialogue alone.

lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By lavaman77

@Atramentous said:

STOP FUCKING WITH ME SEGA YOU KNOW WHAT I NEED

So much this, however i do need this remake. Not getting any hopes up though.

Darth_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Darth_Slayer

@NTM said:

If you still can stand Shenmue, you're good. That game cannot have stood the test of time. Dialogue alone.

That is kinda true,I tried it again a few months ago and it is really gotten old.Its still a amazing game but mostly because of nostalgia.And also I dont feel the need to play trough them again,as gameplay wasnt really that amazing.It was mainly the story and now I know the story so Iam not sure if I would go trough it again.That is the problem,I fear many could have.And younger gamers might be not interested by the graphics and the slow pace of the game.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lemegeton

@Darth_Slayer said:

@NTM said:

That is kinda true,I tried it again a few months ago and it is really gotten old.Its still a amazing game but mostly because of nostalgia.And also I dont feel the need to play trough them again,as gameplay wasnt really that amazing.It was mainly the story and now I know the story so Iam not sure if I would go trough it again.That is the problem,I fear many could have.And younger gamers might be not interested by the graphics and the slow pace of the game.

its a valid point. i played shenmue 1 a few months ago and only got half way through. However even if you dont play them again i would hope all the fans will still buy the collection as a show of support for another game in the franchise.

and i hope sega will be smart with the achievements/trophies cos there is tons of possibility with these games for fun trophies and cheevos

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By stonyman65

I remember loving those games, even though the controls where FUCKED UP.

I'll be looking forward to the HD remakes if they come out.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By 71Ranchero

@NTM said:

I think it stands up just fine. You just need to not have ADHD when you play it.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikeGosot
    @WinterSnowblind said:

Here's the ending:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.