Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 29, 1999

An action-adventure game set in 1980s Japan that follows one young man's journey to avenge his father's murder. It was praised for its ambitious scope and pioneered several gameplay features such as realistic open-world environments and Quick Time Events.

Wouldn't It Be Nice: Shenmue HD

masterbedgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

Edited By masterbedgood

Sega is in my blood.   I grew up with the blazing blue ball of speed that is Sonic The Hedgehog, spent countless hours in the phantastic worlds of the Phantasy Star phranchise, dominated in Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers (seriously, if you want to play a great fighting game… check out Fighters Megamix), and hailed the Dreamcast as the greatest videogame console ever made.   I loved the Dreamcast, the awkward cable placement on the controllers, the pretty graphics, and all the games… especially Shenmue.

Shenmue really surprised me when I started playing it over a decade ago by presenting a world that felt alive.   I love a good adventure game (and Shenmue is a great adventure game), but (especially back then) they rarely ever created such an expansive world that allowed the player so much freedom.   Yu Suzuki broke the mold of the conventions of gaming with Shenmue and crafted something beautiful and innovative.

The story of Shenmue is a tale of revenge as Ryo Hazuki sets out to find the man who killed his father and uncover the secrets of his father’s past.   It’s a simple enough premise, but it gets deeper and more involved as you progress and encounter more interesting revelations... and then it ends with “To Be Concluded.”   The last we heard of Ryo Hazuki and his epic tale was 2002 on the original XBOX with the North American release of Shenmue II, and the game… just… ends.   I was initially excited when I saw that because it meant that I’d be playing Shenmue III someday, but that day has yet to come and I have grown to realize that cliffhanger, “To Be Continued” type endings suck because of this decade-long letdown.

Since the release of the second installment, there has been little news and much disappointment with the Shenmue franchise—Shenmue III was never announced or released, Shenmue Online was canned, and then we heard news about a new Shenmue game and got all excited only to find out that it’s a mobile phone title.   Most recently, Yu Suzuki has been playing with our emotions again by teasing us with possibilities that the Shenmue franchise might have a future, but I know better than to get my hopes up too soon.

But… what if?   Wouldn’t it be nice if Sega was actually letting Yu Suzuki work on the final installment of the classic adventure series?   Wouldn’t it be nice if the mobile game and all this teasing is to increase the buzz around the franchise so they can release to more success than the Dreamcast and XBOX games did?   I think a great way to even better increase that buzz (and provide players who have never experienced some of the greatest games ever made a chance to do so) would be to re-release the first two installments and end them with a sincere promise that Shenmue III is coming.

With all the HD re-releases these days, it would be nice to see Shenmues I & II get a fresh coat of paint and another chance to shine in a new age of gaming.   I mean, Beyond Good & Evil (another underperforming adventure title from the past) was just given a second chance on XBLA recently, so why not Shenmue?

Shenmue holds a special place in my heart—as I’m sure it does with many gamers out there—and, for all of us who experienced (yes, experienced… you don’t freaking play Shenmue, you experience it), we have been waiting patiently to find out how the story concludes.   I would be more than willing to buy the Shenmue games again, and I’m sure there are many, many people out there who feel the same way.   Sega, if you have a heart, please… please make this happen (and give us Shenmue III, dammit!).

masterbedgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By masterbedgood

Sega is in my blood.   I grew up with the blazing blue ball of speed that is Sonic The Hedgehog, spent countless hours in the phantastic worlds of the Phantasy Star phranchise, dominated in Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers (seriously, if you want to play a great fighting game… check out Fighters Megamix), and hailed the Dreamcast as the greatest videogame console ever made.   I loved the Dreamcast, the awkward cable placement on the controllers, the pretty graphics, and all the games… especially Shenmue.

Shenmue really surprised me when I started playing it over a decade ago by presenting a world that felt alive.   I love a good adventure game (and Shenmue is a great adventure game), but (especially back then) they rarely ever created such an expansive world that allowed the player so much freedom.   Yu Suzuki broke the mold of the conventions of gaming with Shenmue and crafted something beautiful and innovative.

The story of Shenmue is a tale of revenge as Ryo Hazuki sets out to find the man who killed his father and uncover the secrets of his father’s past.   It’s a simple enough premise, but it gets deeper and more involved as you progress and encounter more interesting revelations... and then it ends with “To Be Concluded.”   The last we heard of Ryo Hazuki and his epic tale was 2002 on the original XBOX with the North American release of Shenmue II, and the game… just… ends.   I was initially excited when I saw that because it meant that I’d be playing Shenmue III someday, but that day has yet to come and I have grown to realize that cliffhanger, “To Be Continued” type endings suck because of this decade-long letdown.

Since the release of the second installment, there has been little news and much disappointment with the Shenmue franchise—Shenmue III was never announced or released, Shenmue Online was canned, and then we heard news about a new Shenmue game and got all excited only to find out that it’s a mobile phone title.   Most recently, Yu Suzuki has been playing with our emotions again by teasing us with possibilities that the Shenmue franchise might have a future, but I know better than to get my hopes up too soon.

But… what if?   Wouldn’t it be nice if Sega was actually letting Yu Suzuki work on the final installment of the classic adventure series?   Wouldn’t it be nice if the mobile game and all this teasing is to increase the buzz around the franchise so they can release to more success than the Dreamcast and XBOX games did?   I think a great way to even better increase that buzz (and provide players who have never experienced some of the greatest games ever made a chance to do so) would be to re-release the first two installments and end them with a sincere promise that Shenmue III is coming.

With all the HD re-releases these days, it would be nice to see Shenmues I & II get a fresh coat of paint and another chance to shine in a new age of gaming.   I mean, Beyond Good & Evil (another underperforming adventure title from the past) was just given a second chance on XBLA recently, so why not Shenmue?

Shenmue holds a special place in my heart—as I’m sure it does with many gamers out there—and, for all of us who experienced (yes, experienced… you don’t freaking play Shenmue, you experience it), we have been waiting patiently to find out how the story concludes.   I would be more than willing to buy the Shenmue games again, and I’m sure there are many, many people out there who feel the same way.   Sega, if you have a heart, please… please make this happen (and give us Shenmue III, dammit!).

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I still sometimes pull out my Dreamcast and enjoy hours on Shenmue. We can always dream big and for the best.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

You can play Shenmue on an emulator at higher resolution.

masterbedgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By masterbedgood
    @auspiciousqueue: Yes, lol.  I, too, still have my copies of the games and enjoy stepping back into the shoes of Ryo Hazuki... it would just really, really be nice if Sega brought this franchise back (and actually finished it!) with a bang so newcomers could see what all the fuss is about.  Seriously, though, I would never get rid of my Dreamcast, lol.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Pass.  Jeff said Shenmue isn't a good game and gave it a 6.7 back in the day.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @KaosAngel said:

" Pass.  Jeff said Shenmue isn't a good game and gave it a 6.7 back in the day. "

Have you actually played Shenmue though? Or do all of your opinions about games fall in line EXACTLY with Jeff "The Conductor" Gerstmann?  

Also, Shenmue HD would be AWESOME! I'd like Shenmue II HD too. I never actually played that one.  

Edit: I'd also like it if they changed the controls. As much as I love Shenmue (and I LOVE it), the controls for walking around were pretty terrible. Hold L to run and steer with D-Pad!
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Skald

I wouldn't pay for a Shenmue remake. 

Just my thoughts.

masterbedgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By masterbedgood
    @MooseyMcMan: Yeah, if they re-released it, I'd hope they made some necessary updates (especially in the control department) instead of a straight port (like they did with Sonic Adventure on XBLA and PSN... would it have been that hard to remap the camera controls to the right analogue?).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.