Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

A remake of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Overclocked adds an eighth day to the storyline, more demons, voice acting, and other new features.

This game is great. Why has nobody heard of it?

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By senorfuzzeh

You'd think with the Popular Persona games, that Devil Survivor would get a little more hype. I never actually played a persona game sicne I don't have a psp or anything so I can't compare but the story telling is great, the characters are deep, the battle mechanics are fun and strategic. And its handheld! Alot of handhelds lack story and depth so I am in love with this game.

I just don't know why every plays Pokemon (which i still love) But no body has ever even heard of this game.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SlightConfuse

considering the original game is 2 years old and the sequel is coming out soon its not hard to see why no one is talking about it.

also persona games are mostly on the ps2 and ps1

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CaptainCody

I think a lot of people know about it, just no one says much. I certainly haven't gone out of my way to play any Devil Survivor but I am aware of what I'm missing out on.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By OllyOxenFree

In B4 Video_Game_King.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

I think a lot of people actually do know about it. It's just sort of a niche within a niche kind of title. A lot of anime fans know about it. Though, the sequel may get a bit more public knowledge, as it's basically the last truly good DS game.

Don't fret, perhaps just ask the ol Giant Bomb crew to take a look at the new game when it comes out. They might like the novelty of the last DS game. And it's taking cues from the Persona series with some elements. So, there's plenty for them to be interested in. :)

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Levius

I've heard about it, and have been waiting for it to come out in Europe ever since. It's a real shame no one has even done a limited run like Tales of the Abyss 3DS

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Cathryn

Overclocked never really got a lot of attention -- I think primarily because the original came out a couple years ago, a lot of people haven't bothered with the 3DS yet, and there's fairly widespread agreement that the content added to Overclocked isn't really enough to warrant a second purchase if you already own the original, so the rerelease kind've just happened without much fanfare. Hopefully Devil Survivor 2 will shine a light on Devil Survivor again. I just started playing the original and it's pretty awesome.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Devil Survivor was a good game, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

It had a lot of good ideas but it was bog down but its repetitiveness and how unbalanced it became near the end of the game.

I heard they retooled Overclocked so it doesn't just become a fucking brick wall at the very end, but I'm not willing to invest another $40 to find out.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrockNRolla

I just picked it up myself and am really enjoying it. I think people haven't heard of it because:

1) It's a port of a DS game.

2) It's called Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked. (I almost can't get through it without rolling my eyes.)

3) Persona games aren't "popular." They are just well liked by a small and specific bunch of folks.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Nux

Well I love both Overclocked and the original, so don't worry OP I know how good thease games are.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Commisar123

Yes why haven't people heard of a remake of an obscure JRPG that came out two years ago and has been released on the 3DS? I love SMT, but I'm not surprised the franchise doesn't get many headlines

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By morkaithewolf

As what others are saying, I think the reason it isn't talked about as much is because the original was released not too long ago and even then the original was looked over by alot of people because it's a hard game to really get into unless you're used to it's play style already.

Katkillad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Katkillad

Honestly i was expecting a quicklook for this game :( Since there never was one, I never took a chance on it.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By iamjohn

@Commisar123 said:

Yes why haven't people heard of a remake of an obscure JRPG that came out two years ago and has been released on the 3DS? I love SMT, but I'm not surprised the franchise doesn't get many headlines

Don't forget that Atlus also did a fuckin' microscopic print run of this game.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shaunk

Plenty of people have heard about it. Just far less people have played it due to hearing about the kind of harsh difficulty.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By kindgineer

@Commisar123 said:

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I actually went out to buy this the day before I left town for Christmas but no one had it so I bought 3D Land instead and have since forgot about it. It looks amazing though.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phantomzxro

i have heard of it and playing it on my 3ds and its a great game. But as to why others are not, two reason it a remake of the ds game which is old by now (and hard to come by) so most may have already played it. Two its still a niche rpg and not everyone will know or like the SMT style of rpgs.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@TruthTellah said:

I think a lot of people actually do know about it. It's just sort of a niche within a niche kind of title. A lot of anime fans know about it. Though, the sequel may get a bit more public knowledge, as it's basically the last truly good DS game.

Don't fret, perhaps just ask the ol Giant Bomb crew to take a look at the new game when it comes out. They might like the novelty of the last DS game. And it's taking cues from the Persona series with some elements. So, there's plenty for them to be interested in. :)

I don't even mean the Overlocked addition. I had never even heard any body talk about the Original one for the DS.

And frankly the characters don't seem as interesting in the sequel, but it would be cool to see Giantbomb to do a little something for the next one when it comes out this month.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By huntad

Oh I've heard of it just as I've heard of all of the other SMT games. Just because I'm a Persona fan doesn't mean I'm a SMT fan though. It's the Social Links, personalities, and style that make a Persona fan.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

I don't really think it looks especially appealiong to me. The thing I love about persona really isn't the pokemon/combat parts. I want the cute humor, social links and character development based on player choice, I've played so damn many "linear" RPGs to skip a few.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

I don't like Devil Survivor. The difficulty makes wild leaps at random times, and the games grind-y philosophy is hard to follow because it takes so damn long to increase your level when attempting to engage in random battles.

I'm not surprised that not too many people have heard of this game, because I don't think many people would like it. It sure didn't click with me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

@Brendan said:

I don't like Devil Survivor. The difficulty makes wild leaps at random times, and the games grind-y philosophy is hard to follow because it takes so damn long to increase your level when attempting to engage in random battles.

I'm not surprised that not too many people have heard of this game, because I don't think many people would like it. It sure didn't click with me.

I disagree, in that I don't think the difficulty leaps are that bad, overall. The bosses are tough, but you usually have a fair amount of notice, since they tend to talk about nothing else leading up to one. As long as you have a decently well-rounded team (by which I mean you min-maxed the shit out of particular specializations on each of your characters/demons), you should get by.

The one difficulty leap that is unforgivably bad is on the 7th day, where every boss is suddenly 10 levels higher than the boss you just fought on the end of the 6th day, despite the fact that there have been no fights in between and there's no way you're possibly high enough level by that point in the game. At least in something like Pokemon, the grinding seems like it is built into the game design; in Devil Survivor, you get exponentially less XP as you keep grinding in the same area, yet the game still expects you to do this.

So I just stopped playing on the final day. The plot was interesting enough, but I felt like the character development wasn't great. If I cared more about them, that might've been enough to motivate me to slog through the completely unenjoyable bosses to see the game's resolution. Also, the Keisuke/Kaido sequence is utter bullshit, because there's no fucking way you could know what the consequences of your choice would be without looking at a guide.

Overall, I felt the gameplay was poorly designed, given the strategic positioning almost doesn't matter, as long as you exploit enemy weaknesses once you're actually in battle. And on a couple missions the game basically forces you to use demons that grant greater movement, which is unfortunate when sometimes those demons completely blow. And in general, the demons aren't well thought out, in that you don't want to use 90% of the demons since they have useless balanced stats, and instead you stick with the 10% that either have crazy high amounts of Strength or crazy high Magic.

Bolto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bolto

@Brendan: Basically, you didn't like the game because you don't know how to play it.

If you ever had to grind for anything more than a little extra macca or get some skills you accidentally missed earlier than you are playing the game wrong. You can not expect to just brute force your way through the game. If you can't beat a boss or group of enemies, it's not because you are under leveled, it's because your strategy sucks.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Brendan

@Bolto said:

@Brendan: Basically, you didn't like the game because you don't know how to play it.

If you ever had to grind for anything more than a little extra macca or get some skills you accidentally missed earlier than you are playing the game wrong. You can not expect to just brute force your way through the game. If you can't beat a boss or group of enemies, it's not because you are under leveled, it's because your strategy sucks.

Right, which makes my comment perfectly sensible. For people like me (the majority) the game is difficult to figure out, and is therefore not fun. I've played strategy and RPG's but I couldn't see where I was going wrong, and unlike you (the minority) who understands the game, other will find it doesn't click with them as well. There is a reason why it is considered a "niche" title.

jbl8199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jbl8199

I've heard of it. In fact I just bought the game and I think it's pretty good, but I got a question. Why's everyone hating on the voice acting? Yeah, it's a tad cheesy, but it's not THAT bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.