Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 23, 2013

The fourth numbered entry in Atlus's RPG series of occult-themed tales in a post-apocalyptic world.

SMT IV's StreetPassing functionality

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Just picked Shin Megami Tensei IV up during my lunch break, but didn't have time to unbox it and dig through the manual--if there is one--but I noticed that the back of the box mentions StreetPassing. Anyone know the details? Can you swap demons or gain extra Macca?

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yadilie

Mmm, lovely. Another addition to the worthless features of games I don't get to benefit from. Waiting on my copy to come UPS but it's possibly something like Strange Journey's demon code swapping. Not really much else they could do.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zeik

I forget all the details, but it's definitely a lot more in-depth than what Soul Hackers did. You basically assign a demon (or possibly even a team of demons) to your character for street passing. The only result of this that I can remember is that it's possible for your demon to come back and evolve into a completely different demon, although I know there's more.

There's also a kind of hidden feature where if you streetpass someone with Etrian Odyssey 4 or Soul Hackers you get free app points to unlock more features for the Gauntlet. (I had originally heard you just needed save data, which would have been way better. Alas.)

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@zeik said:

I forget all the details, but it's definitely a lot more in-depth than what Soul Hackers did. You basically assign a demon (or possibly even a team of demons) to your character for street passing. The only result of this that I can remember is that it's possible for your demon to come back and evolve into a completely different demon, although I know there's more.

There's also a kind of hidden feature where if you streetpass someone with Etrian Odyssey 4 or Soul Hackers you get free app points to unlock more features for the Gauntlet. (I had originally heard you just needed save data, which would have been way better. Alas.)

Zeik's got it. You make this little card for yourself, either white (for just showing off) or black (for fusion with the demon of other people you pass), and assign one of your demons to it. The demon you assign can't be used in battle with it turned on.

The main benefit from using the black card is that it offers a high chance of fusion accidents, which will be good in this case as there are a number of accident-only demons who are quite useful. So, when you make your card, just don't put one of your most valuable demons on it.

In addition to the app points (which I only ever got once), the more tags you get means that your demons can give you some items upon their return, which can be healing items or even weapons.

It's a much, much better feature than Soul Hackers', though I'm curious just how well it'll work in a place that isn't Japan.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eirikr: I recall hearing recently that Nintendo was going to update their street pass mode so you didn't necessarily have to street pass directly with someone. I don't know if that's still happening, but I it would definitely help for games like this.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@zeik: Yeah, if that turns out to be the case, then that'll be even better than actual person-to-person tags, though I haven't heard word exactly how it would be implemented. Hopefully it hits soon (and I also hope I can tag my US copy with my Japanese one)!

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if I'll ever even get far enough to unlock the StreetPassing stuff. I have now died FOUR times on the tutorial boss fight in Naraku. Oh man...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.