Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Any tips before I get into Persona 3 for the first time?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Well my ps2 broke a while back, so i missed out on both ps2 persona games, but i like the first on the PS1. I just bought my friend's phat PS2 specifically so I could play this game and FF X and 12, and to make use of the heap of other PS2 games I got on my shelf. But I realize this is a rather large game and takes some commitment. I was hoping some experienced players could give me some tips or help before I start with it, I bought P3 FES, didn't see a reason not to buy the newer version with the extra content.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrOldboy

well, im about 3 hours in. Very frustrating no being able to control my party members. And the camera is awful. But other than that, I really like the presentation of game, but playing it is a bit difficult.

What setting should I put the party members on?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

You get more tactics options as you progress through the game. Fairly early, you'll get the "Knock Down" option, which I'd use pretty much all the time, outside of boss battles. Early on, you're pretty much stuck letting them do what they want to. Make use of Rush if you want to conserve SP/make sure they use physical attacks.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Symphony

I kept Yukari on heal/support pretty much the entire game. Aside from that, as AndrewB said "Knock Down" is a good one... boss battles are best played by ear... expect to take a few cheap deaths from bosses as you're trying to figure out their weaknesses (or use a guide, I guess ;P)... umm aside from that, save often, don't be afraid to rest when your fatigued, as you level and get further in the game it'll take your party longer to wear out, so while it may seem like they get tired fast early on, that won't be much of an issue down the road.

Try to maximize one girl's social link before moving on to another otherwise you might have to deal with jealousy and reversed social links which wastes time you could be spending leveling them higher (though Maya -- the Hermit -- doesn't count as a normal social link so you can spend time with her as much as you want), and if you find you have nothing to do at nights (not usually an issue first time through as you can always study), you can raise your persona's stats at the mall arcade (make sure to equip the one who's stats you want to raise).

Hmm.. what else.... oh best way to get the treasure mobs before they ran off and disappeared, I found, was using a bow and standing up on the elevated ledges in the corner rooms and firing as they were down below. Or slowly sneaking up from behind and shooting from max distance (though often they'd run as soon as I fired so your milage may vary). Make sure to check Elizabeth's quests every so often as there are many that have a limited time to complete (usually by the next full moon).

I think that's enough rambling for now ;) Best of luck with it! I'm super excited for Persona 3 Portable myself :D

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Daroki

AndrewB's absolutely correct.  Until we get the PSP version which includes P4's character control options, using the rush button to force party members into attacking physically will save loads of frustration, especially when characters start doing silly things like casting charm or breaks instead of, you know, killing the last enemy which only needs one strike to finish. 
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrOldboy

I dont have a PSP or I would've probably held off on this. But I hope to make it through P3 and then do the answer. Then maybe play P4, but I did watch nearly every episode of the endurance run so I might not bother with it until it drops in price a bit more.

thanks for letting me know that you get more tactics, that helps with the frustration early in the game. But in the long run it may benefit me to have the AI control my party as I do tend to loose interest in these large RPGs.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrOldboy

well I was about 4 hours in and decided to restart and use an s. link guide. I realized i wanted to see everything in the game, but there is no way i can play through it twice. Do you think using the s. link guide will ruin the game? or make it better?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By scarace360

so im thinking of going out and buying persona 3 should i just wait for the psp version now???

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust
    @scarace360:   There are differences from what I understand between the two.  First and foremost the 3D movement found in the console version won't be present in the PSP edition.  Additionally, I haven't heard anything that suggests that P3P will also contain the post P3 chapters found in P3 FES.  Finally there is something grand about playing it on a full sized screen that's missing from a portable.  Personally, I played it already and I am still planning of picking up the P3P version so I can play it again as the female protagonist.  Of course, I count P3 FES as one of my very favorite games, so I am biased in that regard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.