Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Blog: Beat Persona 3 And Started Playing Persona 4 (P3 SPOILERS)

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By MetalGearSunny
    Don't read the text that is covered by the spoiler marks if you don't want Persona 3 spoiled for you! 
    Don't read the text that is covered by the spoiler marks if you don't want Persona 3 spoiled for you! 

So, I beat Persona 3. It look me a little under 70 hours, but it really didn't feel that long. Persona 3 is a great game, and it has one of the best endings I've seen in any game ever. Everything from the awesome cutsecene after the final boss to the fact that they leave you to explore the world a few more times before saying goodbye, and, of course, this. 

It's incredible.  

It was hard for me to say goodbye to that game when it all ended. Soon after I beat it, I started a new game plus and played up to the part where they introduce you to the combat just in case I get an itch to play it again. (And to do some stuff that I missed the first time around.) Though, I imagine it'll be a little rough after playing Persona 4, with the direct control of the characters and such. I don't have a PSP, but if I did I wouldn't mind getting P3P just to have those systems in there and to see any other changes they made to it.  

Now, I have two questions regarding the ending and the events that happen after. Perhaps you guys can answer them: 

If MC became a seal, why did it take a month for him to die? 
    Why isn't Elizabeth in Persona 4? Is it because she wants to find a way to revive the dead protagonist? (I missed the Elizabeth social stuff, I plan on doing that on my new game plus.) 

I started playing Persona 4. And by started, I mean I played about 9 hours of it, and defeated Yukiko's shadow. (I'm on date 5/6 right now.) Whoops, don't know how that happened. I don't know if I should write about how much I like Persona 4. I'm a Giant Bomb user, after all. But that game is pretty awesome. It's obviously better gameplay-wise than Persona 3 and I feel like the social links are handled better. Although I think P3 might have the better ending, it's been a while since I've seen the end to P4 so I'll see how it goes.

I also played a little bit of Persona 4 Arena. I played Yosuke's story to the "To Be Continued" point and I played a little bit of Kanji's story. The story mode in that game is...meh. I mean, I'm all up for seeing those characters in another story, but it gets to a point where I feel like I'm not even playing a game. And when I am actually playing, it's so damn easy. Maybe the story gets better after a while, but right now I think it's a bit boring. 

That's about all I've been playing. I suppose I probably should play something other than Persona games every once in a while. Maybe. I still have to finish Jak II and play Jak III, and I hear Sound Shapes is pretty cool... 

Anyway, if anyone is up for talking to me about Persona 3 spoilers in this thread, I'm totally up for it. Until next time, duders! 

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

It was hard for me to say goodbye to that game when it all ended. Soon after I beat it, I started a new game plus and played up to the part where they introduce you to the combat just in case I get an itch to play it again. (And to do some stuff that I missed the first time around.) Though, I imagine it'll be a little rough after playing Persona 4, with the direct control of the characters and such. I don't have a PSP, but if I did I wouldn't mind getting P3P just to have those systems in there and to see any other changes they made to it.  

Now, I have two questions regarding the ending and the events that happen after. Perhaps you guys can answer them: 

I started playing Persona 4. And by started, I mean I played about 9 hours of it, and defeated Yukiko's shadow. (I'm on date 5/6 right now.) Whoops, don't know how that happened. I don't know if I should write about how much I like Persona 4. I'm a Giant Bomb user, after all. But that game is pretty awesome. It's obviously better gameplay-wise than Persona 3 and I feel like the social links are handled better. Although I think P3 might have the better ending, it's been a while since I've seen the end to P4 so I'll see how it goes.

I also played a little bit of Persona 4 Arena. I played Yosuke's story to the "To Be Continued" point and I played a little bit of Kanji's story. The story mode in that game is...meh. I mean, I'm all up for seeing those characters in another story, but it gets to a point where I feel like I'm not even playing a game. And when I am actually playing, it's so damn easy. Maybe the story gets better after a while, but right now I think it's a bit boring. 

That's about all I've been playing. I suppose I probably should play something other than Persona games every once in a while. Maybe. I still have to finish Jak II and play Jak III, and I hear Sound Shapes is pretty cool... 

Anyway, if anyone is up for talking to me about Persona 3 spoilers in this thread, I'm totally up for it. Until next time, duders! 

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Yes, I totally agree with Persona 3 having one of the best endings ever. It was so bittersweet that if I had tear ducts, I would've shed some man tears!

From what I've been reading (I have a copy of P4A but due to business I haven't gotten to it, yet!) the P4A story is practically a visual novel at its core. I'm totally cool with that, but I can see how some people aren't too receptive to it being that way.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @EquitasInvictus: I just think the story isn't interesting enough yet. I really hope it gets better than this. Maybe Yosuke's story just sucks?
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Metal_Gear_Sunny: That's probably it, then. I've heard a lot of discussion about certain aspects about the ending arc, and I'm pretty sure it was positively inclined, so I think you still have a lot to look forward to!

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @EquitasInvictus: I sure hope so!
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Persona 3's ending is probably my favorite game moment ever. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@Metal_Gear_Sunny: The story mode in P4A is designed to be easy. Battles are one round and the opponent AI is dumbed down. If you're looking for a challenge, you should play either Arcade, Score Attack, or against a human opponent. Story Mode is purely for those that want to know the story in its full detail. Whether you can appreciate the VN-style presentation of it is, of course, up to personal taste. I personally enjoyed it.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Persona 3 and 4 are two of my favorites. Glad you got to experience them.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By golguin

Persona 4 Arena explains a lot of things about Persona 3 and the future of Persona 4.

I myself did Yosuke's story last and it's probably one of my least favorite.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @golguin said:

Persona 4 Arena explains a lot of things about Persona 3 and the future of Persona 4.

I myself did Yosuke's story last and it's probably one of my least favorite.

Good! That makes me more hopeful about it. 

@Hailinel: Yeah, I know. I think maybe it's just Yosuke's story.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By rjayb89

You get a definitive answer of what Elizabeth is up to in Persona 4 Arena, rather than one formed from conjecture.

The biggest takeaway I have from Persona 3 is that I really took walking into the dorm and pressing X a bunch to speak with the rest of the SEES members for granted. The first time I walked into the dorm after defeating the final boss really hit me hard. The fact that it was empty was kinda similar to the whole "Nanako event" in Persona 4. It was something that you knew could happen after a certain point, but when it finally does happen, you might finally realize how attached you've become to a fictional character(s).

As for Persona 4 Arena, it's a been a blast so far for me, despite being pretty much done with it having completed Story Mode with every character. I think it should be known that you tread a lot of familiar ground with each character, minus a few exceptions, but what you really should be excited about is that you're getting into a character's mind, so you can expect rather observant thoughts from characters like Naoto and Akihiko you wouldn't notice with others, and putting characters like Akihiko and Kanji together can make for some interesting, and especially funny, situations, that you can see through only one person's point of view. If you're strapped for time or whatever, playing through the story with Labrys, Elizabeth, Mitsuru, Charlie, and Aigis is probably the best way to get everything the game offers story-wise.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Metal_Gear_Sunny:

Been a while since I've played P3: FES but essentially it took for a month for the MC to die because the entire S.E.E.S. team made a promise to see each other again after they defeat Nyx because they would lose their memories. Technically the MCs dead (if you're observant you notice that the texts keep mentioning that you feel really tired.) By the time the team remembers and head for the roof to meet them, the MC passes away, keeping his promise. My memories pretty blurry but I think that's it?

As for Elizabeth, it's been implied that she's gone off in search of helping the MC. This is mentioned in P4 by Margaret at some point.

P3 Ending spoilers in case anyone was wondering.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Phatmac

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@EquitasInvictus: I sure hope so!

You have to see Liz's story in P4A for more info on P3's story.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By irrelevantjohn

When you fight Margaret in Persona 4 she will kind of explain why Elizabeth is "Neglecting her duty" which is also explained in P4A. As for the P3 ending, i personally think it's the best ending but 4 has that fun charm to it. P3 seems to be way more serious to me personally.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Phatmac

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't much care for P3's ending and the game in general. It was certainly emotional, but after 100+ hours with those characters none of them ever made me care enough. Aigis is probably my favorite character in P3, but mostly because of her being a robot and struggling with it. P3 is a good game, but when compared to P4 it really isn't that much of a contest to me.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@eroticfishcake:

I don't understand why there are spoiler marks when you put the warning in the title...

Anyways, no.

Ah, well I guess that kinda makes sense. 

And even I don't know why I choose to do that. 
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Nottle

@Metal_Gear_Sunny: I think he was living on pure willpower alone. That's how much MC cared about his friends, not even death will stand in the way to see how things end.

Also yeah, the ending is beautiful. Aigis is given some corny lines that work pretty well somehow. Also notice how she has no robot parts during the anime section of the ending. Much like Earthbound doesn't Persona 3 give you a chance to talk to all your friends? More games need that.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Nottle: Persona 3 FES definitely includes your Level 10 social links in the epilogue prior to the Aigis ending that was really nice. I think the one epilogue that had me grin the most was Hermit/"Maya."

I also think Persona 4 has an epilogue that lets you see your Level 10 social links one last time as well.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Nottle said: 

Also yeah, the ending is beautiful. Aigis is given some corny lines that work pretty well somehow. Also notice how she has no robot parts during the anime section of the ending. 

I've noticed that, but never fully understand the reasoning behind that. I guess they go more of that in The Answer, right? She decided to be a real girl until MC died, and then she wanted to become a machine again, and then the new character in The Answer was created out of that? Am I right? 
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @EquitasInvictus: DUDE I DIDN'T EVEN SEE MAYA'S EPILOGUE. FUCK. 

Tanaka's, though. That shit made me laugh hard.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@Nottle said:

Also yeah, the ending is beautiful. Aigis is given some corny lines that work pretty well somehow. Also notice how she has no robot parts during the anime section of the ending.

I've noticed that, but never fully understand the reasoning behind that. I guess they go more of that in The Answer, right? She decided to be a real girl until MC died, and then she wanted to become a machine again, and then the new character in The Answer was created out of that? Am I right?

In The Answer, Aigis loses the connection with her more human side, which manifests itself as Metis. So Metis is kind of like a Shadow, but not really.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Metal_Gear_Sunny: I highly encourage you to look it up since it's definitely out there on youtube, I'm pretty sure! I think it's the best thing ever!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eroticfishcake

@FluxWaveZ: Ah it's just instinctive of me to put story related stuff in spoiler blocks. But what you said sounds about right. I'm more of a P4 guy then a P3 one. Not too far off base though.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @EquitasInvictus said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny: I highly encourage you to look it up since it's definitely out there on youtube, I'm pretty sure! I think it's the best thing ever!

LOL THAT WAS INCREDIBLE
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By Nottle

@Hailinel said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@Nottle said:

In The Answer, Aigis loses the connection with her more human side, which manifests itself as Metis. So Metis is kind of like a Shadow, but not really.

I think the scene at the end of P3 was just symbolic, MC was kind of 4 seconds from death. Also isn't Metis's name significant in some way? Obviously her persona, Psyche applies to her role as part of Aigis.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#28  Edited By Pepsiman

@Nottle said:

@Hailinel said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@Nottle said:

I think the scene at the end of P3 was just symbolic, MC was kind of 4 seconds from death. Also isn't Metis's name significant in some way? Obviously her persona, Psyche applies to her role as part of Aigis.

If the Wikipedia entry is to be believed, Metis is, like much of the P3 cast and their Personas, based on a Greek mythological figure of the same name. Not unlike her relationship with Aigis in The Answer, her relationship with Zeus is a mutually beneficial, yet destructive one at the same time. Of particular note is a prophecy that stated that she would bear two children with Zeus, the first being Athena (Aigis' initial Persona) and the second being a son that would rise up to become more powerful than Zeus himself and take the throne from him. There's additional information in that part of the story in particular that explain Metis' use of clubs and axes in the game. The entry is worth a read if you're curious.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@Nottle said:

@Hailinel said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@Nottle said:

According to Wikipdia, Metis is the name of the ancient Greek titaness of wisdom. Zeus swallowed Metis, who was pregnant at the time. The end result was Athena being born by emerging from Zeus's head. Athena is Aigis's evolved Persona in Persona 3 before she becomes a WIld Card user in The Answer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@Pepsiman said:

@Nottle said:

@Hailinel said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@Nottle said:

If the Wikipedia entry is to be believed, Metis is, like much of the P3 cast and their Personas, based on a Greek mythological figure of the same name. Not unlike her relationship with Aigis in The Answer, her relationship with Zeus is a mutually beneficial, yet destructive one at the same time. Of particular note is a prophecy that stated that she would bear two children with Zeus, the first being Athena (Aigis' initial Persona) and the second being a son that would rise up to become more powerful than Zeus himself and take the throne from him. There's additional information in that part of the story in particular that explain Metis' use of clubs and axes in the game. The entry is worth a read if you're curious.

You beat me to it. :P

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Hailinel@Pepsiman: You lost me.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@Hailinel: @Pepsiman: You lost me.

The Personas of Persona 3 are references to Greek/Roman myth and history, much like the Personas of the party in Persona 4 come from Japanese myth and history. These references extend to the character Metis, who is a part of Aigis, and whose name is a reference to the mother of Aigis's evolved Persona.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Hailinel said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@Hailinel: @Pepsiman: You lost me.

The Personas of Persona 3 are references to Greek/Roman myth and history, much like the Personas of the party in Persona 4 come from Japanese myth and history. These references extend to the character Metis, who is a part of Aigis, and whose name is a reference to the mother of Aigis's evolved Persona.

Ah, okay, I understand now. Maybe because it was one in the morning when I read that explanation but yeah.
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By illmatic19

I started playing this after Sunny's first blog. It was great until my save file got corrupted... If someone could upload a save that's in June/July/August I'd greatly appreciate it. I would man up and work my way back but I can only get 30 minutes a session if I'm lucky.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By kerse

I think I like P3's story better than P4, maybe its just how good the ending is combined with Aigis's social link right before. I do love P4's murder mystery story though. Can't wait for P5, I don't care if it continues P4A's story or is something brand new.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

I finished it last night. With that, I join the group of people who like Persona 3 more than Persona 4. God damn if that ending isn't something else.  

Also, I booted up "The Answer", which everyone says to avoid like the plague. I've only played for an hour, but I kinda like it. Probably because Aigas is my favorite character, and it's all about her (so far). I probably wouldn't feel that way if I didn't play P4: Arena before starting P3, though. By going in with low expectations I may be pleasantly surprised.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.