Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

P3P battle system as compared to FES?

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

So I am trying to figure out if I want FES or P3P. I was pretty sold on Portable because of the battle system and portability. But after watching a couple videos, the visual novel style... is very hard for me to get over. I love the idea behind it, to speed up all the mundane parts. I find that now a days I want short games but I feel lost watching those scenes play out. I looked at the Fes battle system and it seems that Defend is missing and you can only influence your team. I cannot tell how important these things are. Will I be cursing the battle system 30 hours in? will I be bored by it?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By dagas

P3P have some changes to be more like P4 but the biggest difference is not the combat but the story. P3 FES has The Answer which is an expansion to the story and P3P doesn't have that. On the other hand P3P Lets you play as a girl if you want which changes the game a bit and make it more fun to play again and get another viewpoint. I played both but I played FES long before P3P was out. Either game is good. You can't go wrong either way.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I made it through FES without much suffering over the battle system. Occasionally my teammates would do stupid things during boss battles, but it was a fairly rare occurrence. I'd say that unless you want to see the female version of the P3 story, FES is the one to get.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

If I recall correctly, P3P allows you to manually control your whole party as in P4.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By FLStyle

@super2j said:

So I am trying to figure out if I want FES or P3P. I was pretty sold on Portable because of the battle system and portability. But after watching a couple videos, the visual novel style... is very hard for me to get over. I love the idea behind it, to speed up all the mundane parts. I find that now a days I want short games but I feel lost watching those scenes play out. I looked at the Fes battle system and it seems that Defend is missing and you can only influence your team. I cannot tell how important these things are. Will I be cursing the battle system 30 hours in? will I be bored by it?

As someone who's only ever played P3P I tell you that it made taking the hit of playing Persona 3 after Persona 4 a lot less painful. It sounds like the majority of FES players never used my Persona 3 team because the AI made them in particular do dumb stuff at the most critical moments.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

FES is all about manipulating your teammates into doing what you want them to and knowing how to use the limited the commands at your disposal to achieve the desired results. I certainly prefer the the Persona 4 style of direct control, but I enjoyed P3's battles as well.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Go with P3P. Being able to control all your party members does make the battle system better, but the new female MC version is what really makes the difference. The writing for all the social links it changes is light-years better than the original. Plus, Yukiko shows up.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think the battle system is fine in either one. Since it was designed with ai controlled party members in mind, it's not too bad having them. I do hear its worse depending on which characters you use (Mitsuru), but I just put my whole party on knockdown and never had any trouble. I would recommend FES.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Having played both you will be fine with either, if you are used to P4 then P3P will feel at home. FES might take some time to get used to but it is sufficient enough to do what you want as you progress in the game and get more commands for party members.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

As I'm sure you know now but for the battle system it comes down to

FES: Only have control of the Main Character and having A.I. deal with the rest of your party (subjecting you into the occasional really stupid move on their part, Mitsuru's Marin Karin is a well known thing) and having the Fatigue system (you can only go into Tartarus for so long before you and your party become tired and basically useless in battle)

P3P: More like Persona 4, Direct control of all party members as an option (you can have A.I control any of them if you want), Fatigue system removed.

Because I had already played FES I gave P3P a shot because of the inclusion of a Female Main Character and wanted to see the content that was added into it fully knowing that P3P was gimped from a story perspective (having cut scenes taken out with static images in it's place, no 3d environment to navigate outside of Tartarus).

With the changes of the battle system to more reflect Persona 4 I ended up liking P3P much more that FES.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can handle the AI teammates, FES is a better game imo. Lacking the actual models for story moments sucks and you miss some of the funniest shit. Also the Answer if pretty good and is cannon so should be played

siln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said, either way you go you're making trade-offs. The presentation aspect of the in-world models (FES) vs. the visual novel character portraits against static backgrounds (P3P) isn't as big a deal as it seems but make no mistake that the FES presentation is superior. On the other hand, most prefer the full-control teammate battle system of P3P, especially those who have experience with P4 or P4G.

It's all about which things are more important to you. I'm unquestionably on the P3P side, mostly because the female MC's story is in almost every way an improvement on the original, and gives greater focus to your teammates by having them make up the core of your school S-Links. Meanwhile, I feel so-so about The Answer, so I don't miss it quite as much.

Again, either way you go, you have to leave some story on the table, since each has meaningful exclusive content. There's no wrong answer, really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.