Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Played P4 and I want more

RadioFlyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RadioFlyer

Ok so i played through Persona 4 and I want to try Persona 3. I'll probably pick up that FES version if i can find it. Here's my question, are there any huge gameplay changes from p3 to p4 that makes p4 age p3 and make it more frustrating? Like after playing gta 4 i couldnt go back to the other games bc they had crap controls at the time and gta 4 made them look way worse. 

Sorry if this thread has already been made. I only looked at the persona 3 thread topics and didnt go into the threads to make sure. if there is a thread for this could you guide me to it?
    sai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sai

in p3 you can't directly command each party member, you can only give them general commands such as conserve sp/heal/full on attack.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stang

There are a million topics on this already, but I will answer any way,

You cannot control your allies in P3, only issues macros. It does not bug me for the most part.....just sometimes  your team does not take the most efficient route. Social Links can be reversed in P3....if you date too many girls, neglect people too long, your s links will get messed up and consequently you will have to spend extra time sorting them out.

You cannot equip your allies through a central screen. You must talk to each ally to change their equipment. This bugs me the most.

Overall, I prefer P3 over P4, despite its deficiencies.

Anything else you are curious about?

RadioFlyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RadioFlyer

sorry about asking this question along with everybody else. 

So the major thing is you can only give broad commands? Yes there's more, but that seems like the big deal to me. 

So I like P4 bc it's not like every other jrpg in that it's an angsty teenager in a fantasy world who has to stop the ultimate evil. It sounds like if i like the stuff that makes Persona games Persona games i'll like P3. Am I right?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stang

Yep, if you like P4 you will also enjoy P3. It will take a couple hours in Tarturus to get used to the inability to directly command your team, but you will get used to it. The story is a bit slow, but good. The game takes place in high school, like P4, so that will feel right at home.

RadioFlyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RadioFlyer

yay!!!! I never thought i'd say i want more of a game i put 72 hours into.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ben_H
    @radioflyer: More like 85-100 hours for P3 depending how fast you go.  I went fast and finished at about 91.  That said, I went slower for Persona 4 and it took me 112 hours.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iamjohn

Persona 4 is just an overall better game that P3 in most aspects (the social linking is way more fun and rewarding, the writing and voice acting is a lot, lot better, and I prefer the tone and charm of P4's storytelling and design), but P3's definitely worth playing.  I'm about 20 hours in so far and I'm totally loving it.  Just stick with it, because if you're anything like me, you'll spend the first few hours totally baffled and shellshocked at how it's not like Persona 4.

RadioFlyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RadioFlyer

so its decided. im getting p3. do you think i can pick up a new copy anywhere?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang

Umm....I know it sounds crazy, but, how about calling Gamestop or an equivalent? P3 should not be hard to find.

edit

20 bucks at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona-Playstation-2/dp/B0014CN2H6

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Persona 3 is certainly a step down from P4, but it is still enjoyable. Just be expecting a time when your party members screw up and you die because of it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By JJOR64

If you want a kick ass RPG on PS2, pick up Dragon Quest 8.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stang
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Persona 3 is certainly a step down from P4, but it is still enjoyable. Just be expecting a time when your party members screw up and you die because of it. "
    Enemy is weak to ice. Mitsuru go! Marin karin mother fucker!

fail
    RadioFlyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RadioFlyer
    @JJOR64: @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Persona 3 is certainly a step down from P4, but it is still enjoyable. Just be expecting a time when your party members screw up and you die because of it. "
    The issue with that is it doesnt have kids shooting themselves in the head and then going to highschool the next day.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stang

Well seeing that they are not shooting themselves in the heads with normal guns (they are called evokers), I don't see a problem.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Stang said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    Enemy is weak to ice. Mitsuru go! Marin karin mother fucker!fail "
    Yep. That.  I eventually just set her to Full Assault and let Yukari do all the healing.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Ben_H
    @Stang said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    Enemy is weak to ice. Mitsuru go! Marin karin mother fucker!fail "
    HAHAHAHAHAHA I can relate.  Marin Karin= Biggest waste of SP EVER!  I have never seen it work for me yet every time it's cast on one of my dudes it always works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.