Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Should I use a guide?

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By DarkShaper

So I just started Persona 3 for the first time and was wondering if people with experience with the game would recommend that I play the game on my own or use a guide to help with S.links/Requests. I don't plan on playing through the game more than once and I want it to be the best experience possible.

The first time I played P4 I used a guide but I had already experienced the story through the endurance run so I can't use that for referance.
    Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Cathryn

Unlike Persona 4, all of the requests are done through the Velvet room, so there really isn't much to do to figure them out -- there are a few you might need to look up, but I'd try playing blind.

Also, unlike P4, it's possible to do a very quick New Game + (about 40 hours) in Persona 3 if you meet some conditions towards the end of your first play-through, so if you think you might play it more than once, I'd definitely just play however you want to play the first time through and then try to max everything on a second play-through.

It is a lot more difficult to max everything in Persona 3 than it is in 4, so following the Max S.link FAQ is generally not a lot of fun -- it's arduous and you can't deviate from it at all.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SlightConfuse

as said by cathryn all side quest come from the velvet room so there is nood need for a guide as its pretty explisite.

for s.links i did pretty good maxing most of them out but i liked being able to decided which ones to take on rather than follow a guide

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#4  Edited By wumbo3000

Are you playing through it right now cause it just came out PSN? Cause I'm starting it right now on my PS3 and I love it. So much fun. First got introduced to the world of Persona through the Endurance Run, so it can be a little weird playing P3 after watching Jeff and Vinny play P4. Lot of things that I'm used to seeing aren't there, so I have to realize P3 came before P4. Still having a lot of fun though.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

Aw man. I've been wondering this, too, myself. It feels so overwhelming compared to Persona 4 somehow. Must be because I prefaced my personal playthrough of Persona 4 with the Endurance Run. I still want to play it though despite being spoiled about some things about certain characters.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alternate

You probably need guide to max out all the social links in one playthgough - I would not say this is the way to go for the "best experience". far too restrictive, might as well be watching a Lets Play.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

I'd say don't bother following a guide to max out S Ranks and all that. Just hang out with the people you want to hang out with and those who will be a direct benefit to you and your party. No sense in being forced to do something because a guide says so. The only time I used a guide for Persona 3 (and 4) was for specific boss fights and I had a great time.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

No, that would take most of the fun out of the game.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By NegativeCero

That kind of playthrought sounds like the opposite of fun.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By killacam

guides are for chumps!

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By endaround

The only reason to use a guide is that some of the links *cough* Mitsuru *cough* have unique prerequisites so you may want to look at those but a day to day guide is playing a spreadsheet.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DarkShaper

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to use a guide unless i get stuck at some point @wumbo3000 yah im playing it on PS3 and i agree that it feels weird not having the additions from 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.