Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

Is Persona 3 Portable Worth a Buy?

LurchenGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everybody... I just finished playing P4G on my Vita and I poured about 85 hours into it already. I am really interested in this series, and was curious if Persona 3 Portable would be the next best for me to start... Thanks for for advice.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

On the one hand, it gimps a lot of features found in the other versions of Persona 3. On the other hand, no Keisuke. Tough call.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By angouri

Yes. That or FES if you want to play on PS3.

I played P3P and then watched the animated cutscenes from FES on YouTube. They're gorgeous, but didn't fit in the PSP game.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alternate

yup

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I haven't played any version other than P3P, but that game is fantastic.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you can FES, other than that if you want that Portability get it on PSP. Then buy FES or watch it on Youtube.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

If you can FES, other than that if you want that Portability get it on PSP. Then buy FES or watch it on Youtube.

Yup. I'd probably go for FES, though.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

P3P doesn't have "The Answer" which is the expansion added in P3FES on PS2, but on the other hand it adds a female playable character and makes some small gameplay tweaks to make the game play a bit more like P4. Also P3P doesn't allow you to run around and explore in 3D like the PS2 version, insetad it lets you move a cursor around a 2D image. But the combat and dungeon exploring is still 3D, it's just the city and school and such that is not.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ervonymous

The female main character option and direct command over party members outweigh the stuff you'd get with FES in my opinion, go for it.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

Also you have a VITA so yeah put that shit to use.

You can probably download it there. You will miss out on sickass cutscenes. but whatever

Also you get to play as a chick

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Nev

Yes, in my opinion it's the true version of Persona 3. The female protagonist run is excellent.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

From a narrative standpoint, you'll be missing out on The Answer from FES. From a gameplay quality standpoint, it will feel more in line with P4G.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've argued to death that FES is the superior version of the game. I stand by that.

LurchenGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all :). I really freaking enjoy this series. I think that before I make my decision on either FES or P3P, I'm going to do a 100% playthrough of golden.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought it was a great companion to it's non-portable brethren, and the female route added a lot of stuff that you'd appreciate after playing through the original game, but I guess a lot of people enjoyed it by itself? So yeah, get it.

Actually, wait. I don't know how much it is right now, but Atlus has had all their PSN stuff on sale in the past, and maybe they'll do it again. I think I got it when it was 9.99.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think it's the best version. The content and social links they added more than make up for the few things it loses. The only piece of actual content you lose is access to "The Answer" which is a side story that takes place after the main game, it's also pretty terrible, and I'd say skip it even if you did have access to it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only piece of actual content you lose is access to "The Answer" which is a side story that takes place after the main game, it's also pretty terrible, and I'd say skip it even if you did have access to it.

Do not listen to this man. He knows not what he says.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 3 is definitely worth your time if you liked Persona 4.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: What do you like about The Answer? I feel that elaborating on that ending only weakens it.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yea if u liked p4g then u will like p3p so go for it

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024:

The general concept of a group of people dealing with the loss of a dear friend? The added backstory and characterization of the cast? The fact that it's pretty much just an abridged version of Persona 3 (albeit with an ending that's probably too neat)?

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 3 is definitely worth your time if you liked Persona 4.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: You should spoiler tag that first sentence. And I guess I can see why you might enjoy it for those reasons, it's really just a matter of preference. I'm one of those people who prefers to have an ending left somewhat ambiguous so I can puzzle things out for myself, but for some people that leaves them a little unsatisfied, which is totally reasonable.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The female protagonist alone is worth the purchase if you ask me. Her playthrough is arguably better than the Male protagonists. You can control party members which is always nice, and it's portable. If you ask me it's the best version of the game.

LurchenGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to start out with FES. After I beat that, I plan on doing a run through with the female protagonist on P3P. Back to P4G for now though :)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB

@video_game_king said:

On the one hand, it gimps a lot of features found in the other versions of Persona 3. On the other hand, no Keisuke. Tough call.

He's still there, and still a social link if you're playing a dude (but why would you?)

Also, yes, P3P is better than P3:FES mechanically, but worse than P3:FES in many regards from anything outside of a dungeon (quicker, but lacking in personality and actually breaks some of the better moments of the game). Worth a buy if you don't intend to get FES instead.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I ended up buying FES on PSN as well as portable.

Portable offers a lot of nice improvements. Being able to control all of your party members is huge. Not being able to walk around kinda sucks though. But I find it's easier to play looooong rpgs like p3 and 4 on a handheld. Also, I think the friend characters are better written and realized in the female version that portable offers.

Avatar image for spunkydragonwithdeadlylegs
    SpunkyDragonwithDeadlyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

skill cards! nobody is mentioning the skill cards of P3P! you can have your favorite persona and then customize it with all the moves you want for it instead of hoping and praying for a good fusion. I know for people who go back to P3P from P4 or P4G that doesn't sound like much anymore because of how fusion is improved but it is probably the biggest bestest part of P3P's gameplay.

but yes the biggest drawbacks of P3P is that FES is the complete package for understanding the story and getting the real deal but P3P is much more fun to play imo. if they could remake it on the Vita maybe they could put the cutscenes back in and even come up with a "the Answer" for the FeMC but I'm already plenty happy with the P3P we already have.

Plus Theo

No Caption Provided

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

If you still own/play your PSP you may as well buy a game for it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope nobody like hates me for this but i gotta say running around the world map was really boring for me in p3 and FES. I actually liked getting a quick menu to teleport me places and a map that I could just scroll to things I wanted. it wasn't like i was really exploring new places. but the cutscenes are a big step up from the visual novel style of P3P.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

After having played PS3 FES on PS2 I like many others found the PSP version lacking to the point where I stopped playing.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

played both original and P3P and they pretty competent with each other... there's more 2D navigating in P3P than the playstation 2 version but the game is pretty similar.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By afabs515

It's worth not running around the map to play as the female protagonist. The character development for the members of your party was infinitely better when you're playing as the FeMC, since you can finally form S. Links with them. It was kind of weird making my character a total whore, but I feel like that's part of a much larger and more annoying conversation about the sexual double standard than I care to have. Buy the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol i have to admit i went down the whore road too. its great to see all the intimate relationships you can have as the FeMC but to make it believable I just always kinda make believe i'm doing each in separate "lives" so even with the other bfs I stayed true to my one and only Akihiko-senpai!

but tbh i think the game leads you to picking Shinji because she literally throws herself at him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.