Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

Newbie to Personas! Need tips!

Avatar image for deactivated-653d2db498d3a
    deactivated-653d2db498d3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I have recently gone back through the Persona 4 Endurance Runs, and I am really enjoying those (but MAN. Do I have a ways to go). I saw the Atlus sale on the Playstation store so as I type this I am downloading Persona 3 Portable, which I read is just as good/better than Persona 4. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. I just gotta find my PSP. 

Anyways! What are some good pointers one could lend to a n00b? Like lessons learned type stuff. So far what I've learned from the Endurance Run is that extra dungeon crawling is GOOD. 

Anything come to mind? Thanks!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

always fuse new personas. They level up really slowly, so don't hold on to one for too long. 

also, the emperor s.link gets you a very useful persona.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

ok, whatever jeff and vinny did? do the opposite.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

Be careful with dungeon crawling, because your party members will get tired. If they're all tired you may want to get your ass to the exit as quickly as possible.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon
    @LordAndrew said:
    " Be careful with dungeon crawling, because your party members will get tired. If they're all tired you may want to get your ass to the exit as quickly as possible. "
    To add: The tiredness is just about the only thing holding you back from doing just about all the dungeon crawling at once, as you can go back to the entrance of it all and pay to heal (and you will have a LOT of money).
    reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By reddin

In P3P your characters only get tired the next day, so you can actually do complete dungeons in one go and grind forever if you want. Also if you're tired go to the infirmary at school for a free courage boost.
    I also agree that you should always be fusing. It doesn't really matter if you plan on never using the resulting persona, just fill out the compendium as much as you can. This really helps out if you want some specific persona later on.
    During my own run through P3P I went back to the entrance every level I gained and checked what I could make. You can always get the more useful ones back via the compendium, and money quickly becomes a non-issue.  
    Keep in mind that trying to level a persona through battle is a waste of time in most cases, because you'll gain multiple levels in the same time, allowing you to fuse better persona.
    During shuffle time it pays to go for the higher level weapon card in stead of a lower level money card if you want to make some money, since the weapon sells for more than the money you get directly.
    Every Monday there's a sale at the place you buy weapons from. Saves a bundle on the special costumes. And every Saturday at the item store. 
    Go back to the entrance and save every once in a while during dungeon crawling, things can go really bad really quickly in SMT games.  
    Always make sure you have a persona of the person you're s-linking with, otherwise it'll take ages past the first few levels to level them up.
    If you've watched the Endurance Run you know all the basics, especially since they made a most of the mechanics of the PSP version completely the same as in P4.

Also you can safely ignore all of this. Vinny and Jeff made their way through P4 just fine while doing a lot of dumb things.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aus_azn
     Don't try to max all of the S-Links or powerlevel personas. 

You never want to create a reversal of S-Links, so make sure you're only dating one girl/boy at a time. Maxing all S-Links, while possible, simply butchers the fun of the game because you'll need to meticulously follow a guide and it does not permit screwups.  My way through the game is: 

Fuse like it's nobody's business. I blundered and used only one persona for the entire game and my persona compendium was only about 10% full by endgame. If you're going to do >1 cycles, fuse like it's nobody's business. Thanks to burning all of my skillcards, that was all I needed for my powerhouse Nekomata holding every single Ma- spell to wreck. Every time you fuse, however, your level defaults, so it's not worth leveling. 

Starting through Tartarus early is also helpful; anything you find is going to be really beneficial and you should encounter surplusses of money, weapons and get a few personae too. Just make sure you're well rested before "big" events. 

Unlike you, I'm looking to find a PS2 to play Persona 4. Of course, I'm looking for a PS3, but they don't make the PS2 compatible ones anymore, if my research serves me correctly.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Aus_azn:  You could probably find a used BC playstation 3
    DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#9  Edited By DonutFever

I forget what they call the sections that the tower is broken up into, but go as far as you can before each full moon.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ch3burashka

If you can handle grinding, go through the dungeons twice - tire out both parties. That way, you'll be overpowered by the end, and all your members will be of equal-ish levels. S.Link like a motherfucker in the beginning. I can't remember if The Answer is part of the game, but if it is, I strongly urge you to play the game with only Metis - it'll pay off later. 

This is more of an end-game thing, but there's a spell that can kill Death, and that gives you a shit ton of XP (in exchange for completely draining your SP). If anyone in your party is underleveled, that's incredibly useful. Sorry for the vagueness - I'm sure someone knows for sure.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

Persona 3 or Persona 3 portable are not better then Persona 4, or maybe it's just a matter of opinion, but I liked 4 the best.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikeHawk

there isn't any cheesy late-game scenario where I have to make 2 parties and be forced to use all of the characters that I don't ever use, is there? Because I don't wanna have to spend extra time leveling junpei up just so I'm not screwed later on.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#13  Edited By DonutFever
    @MikeHawk: No, but sometimes characters are unavailable at certain times. 
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By IBurningStar

You can use whoever you want for most the game. I think their are a few spots where you can't use one specific character, but those are rare and don't tend to last long.  Personally, I kept Akihiko, Yukarie, and Junpei with me most the time. They were my core team that I used for most boss fights, but I didn't neglect my other team mates. Because if I faced a boss that used a lot of attacks that could exploit one of their elemental weaknesses then I would want someone to substitute in. 

Always make sure to carry around personas that match the corresponding social links you are working on. 

Save often. I can not stress this enough. In fact, whenever you unlock a new section of the tower, your main focus should be getting to the teleporter and activating that. This gives you more choice on the difficult of the shadows you face and makes it easier to get back to a save point without having to find one on a randomly generated floor.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aus_azn
    @FancySoapsMan: Yeah, but I want a slimline PS3. Maybe I'll buy a friend's PS2. 

@MikeHawk: There isn't. My party by the endgame was Aigis, Mitsuru and Yukari whenever possible, with Koromaru subbing out as an alternate if anyone was gone. They were disproportionately levelled by the end of the game. Not that I have any complaints about that. 

@IBurningStar: I don't recall any save points within Tartarus' floors? Or did I miss something glaring? I always took the warp entrances back if I needed to save/heal and used the main gate to resume.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Aus_azn:  True, a good PS2 will probably cost you less than the price of a new game.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Catolf
    @Aus_azn:  There was save points when you activated a portal right before the mid boss and then you can freely go down and save heal and so on then return to the spot you were before the midboss.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Max the star social link. Ken and Koramaru are great team-mates because of lack of elemental weaknesses.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By animateria
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Persona 3 or Persona 3 portable are not better then Persona 4, or maybe it's just a matter of opinion, but I liked 4 the best. "
    Overall combat/general mechanics are better in Persona 4, since it improved on the flaws of P3. 

But I think the story and characters is a matter of personal preference. I personally like the P3 cast much better than most of the P4 cast.  
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Catolf
    @animateria said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

" Persona 3 or Persona 3 portable are not better then Persona 4, or maybe it's just a matter of opinion, but I liked 4 the best. "
    Overall combat/general mechanics are better in Persona 4, since it improved on the flaws of P3.  But I think the story and characters is a matter of personal preference. I personally like the P3 cast much better than most of the P4 cast.   "
    Agreed. Though I think the main reason that P4 is so beloved (besides the improved fighting mechanic, always a plus) is that the GB crew played p4 thus it's by default everyone's favorite Persona game here. I liked P4 but I thought the characters were damn annoying 95% of the time. XP
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Catolf said:
    " @animateria said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

Overall combat/general mechanics are better in Persona 4, since it improved on the flaws of P3.  But I think the story and characters is a matter of personal preference. I personally like the P3 cast much better than most of the P4 cast.   "
    Agreed. Though I think the main reason that P4 is so beloved (besides the improved fighting mechanic, always a plus) is that the GB crew played p4 thus it's by default everyone's favorite Persona game here. I liked P4 but I thought the characters were damn annoying 95% of the time. XP "
    I like P4's characters better. Awesome avatar though. I'm super psyched for Catherine. *high five*
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew

I like 'em both a lot! I refuse to choose one over the other, although if you search my posts you'll probably find some point in the past where I expressed a preference for one of them.... So don't do that.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By endaround

There is extreme rubber banding of XP so keeping all characters at the same level is fairly easy.  Since they really stop gaining abilities after a while having them a few levels below the MC isn't a big deal.  You want to have everyone around the same level because certain characters really make mid boss fights easier than others.  If one of your mains has a weakness to an element that boss spams you will die or at least spend 10 times as long fighting through the battle.   To gauge if you can defeat the monthly boss is if you can make it from the last warp point in the dungeon up to the barrier without running out of SP or having to go back to the 1st floor.  You don't want to refight P3P monthly  boss fights because unlike P4 there can be like 45 minutes of cut scenes from the last chance to save until the fight.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Catolf
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Catolf said:
    " @animateria said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

Agreed. Though I think the main reason that P4 is so beloved (besides the improved fighting mechanic, always a plus) is that the GB crew played p4 thus it's by default everyone's favorite Persona game here. I liked P4 but I thought the characters were damn annoying 95% of the time. XP "
    I like P4's characters better. Awesome avatar though. I'm super psyched for Catherine. *high five* "
    It's all a matter of opinion in the end. And Agreed *high five*

@endaround said:
    " There is extreme rubber banding of XP so keeping all characters at the same level is fairly easy.  Since they really stop gaining abilities after a while having them a few levels below the MC isn't a big deal.  You want to have everyone around the same level because certain characters really make mid boss fights easier than others.  If one of your mains has a weakness to an element that boss spams you will die or at least spend 10 times as long fighting through the battle.   To gauge if you can defeat the monthly boss is if you can make it from the last warp point in the dungeon up to the barrier without running out of SP or having to go back to the 1st floor.  You don't want to refight P3P monthly  boss fights because unlike P4 there can be like 45 minutes of cut scenes from the last chance to save until the fight. "

Funny thing is, at the end game I was at least 8-10 levels above everyone.. I was 98 while everyone else was close to 90 or had just reached 90..
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By WickedCestus

Yeah, what everyone else said. Also, never forget to go to the bathroom during the day to go from "Good" to "Great".  

And if you have the chance, make Hecatoncheires because he looks so awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Catolf: Thanks for the replies! 

And after watching the Endurance Run (or as far as I have gotten), I kinda like P3P a little better (I laughed a few times to Junpei, though I'm not sure what that says about me). Also, totally looking forward to finding out whatever the heck Catherine turns out to be. 

Right now in P3P I have maxed out Yuko and Kaz (I chose the swim team). Should I not pursue the Hermit (online game)? Cuz she seems like a girl, and knowing how far this game has gone so far...  

Also is there any cutoff for when I should find the people in Tartarus? Like I always jam before the full moon to get them out before then. Not sure if I'm doing it right. 

ONE LAST THING! Every once in a while Junpei will pull me aside and ask which girl im into (Yukari, Mitsuru, or Fuuka), and I'm technically going out with Yuko, but I'm afraid to hit "other", as the game may throw me a bunch of homosexual options. I've just been choosing Yukari. 

And where's the equivalent to TaP Soda?
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Catolf
    @EvGar:  You can go ahead and pursue the Hermit on the computer, you won't get penalized for it and it's a fun social link. So go ahead. Um, I tend to get the people as soon as I hear about them, mostly because I had a habit of forgetting things, but I do believe the new moon is a cut off point, but I can't be sure. (never let it get that far)

You can choose other Junpei isn't really like that and i have never seen a moment in persona 3 where you get a bunch of gay options, and believe me I try and look for them for a good laugh. XD

If you want SP items you have to collect emeralds and stuff you get from fallen shadows and take it to this little shop in Paulina mall. I'm not sure if you can get SP items from the vending machine in the dorm but you can try.. (i just spend money in Tartarus to fix it.. cause I always have a LOT of money for no reason)

Also, try and get some homunculus they are great in a pinch and I believe one is for a request from Elizabeth (since your a guy) I did it for theo.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I can tell you that despite what the games will have you believe, the proper plural of Persona is Personae, not Personas. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MooseyMcMan said:
    " I can tell you that despite what the games will have you believe, the proper plural of Persona is Personae, not Personas.  "
    Yeah I guess you're right. Excuse me!
    deim0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deim0s

Just got into the game... a couple of hours in and nice tips found around here.  

Question about personas - any advise in picking them as a main or general guidelines what to bring at a time?  

Am more concerned getting far in the game but not having any of my personas up to the task.  With all the fusing/skill possibilities. I don't think that fusing one persona, level up a bit to get her card, then throw her out and doing it again to get more skill cards is a good thing to do. I'm hating the idea of it :P  

I don't think this Lilim (that I use currently) would remain viable in later levels, as they don't level up equally as you (aside from S. Links).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.