Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

30 Days of Gaming : Day 9

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By aurahack

My sincerest apologies for missing yesterday. I literally spent all... uhh... *finger counts* ... 4 hours of free time I had last night on homework, catching up on like... 3 classes-worth of work that I missed on one project. I ended up falling on my bed and crashing there on top of a stack of tracing paper, regular paper and pencils. I feel like shit today but that shouldn't stop me from posting anything today! Actually, it's kind of a bummer that I don't feel so hot and that I post something about... 

No Caption Provided

Persona 4  

I honestly couldn't come up with an answer for this, so I chose what I thought to be most fitting to the subject and what kind of hit me in the chest the most. I'll keep it concise due to spoilers. 

Essentially, the saddest scene I've ever sat through in gaming was the end of Persona 4. No one died, no one betrayed the group... it was just... Persona 4 is of a rare breed. It's characters are painstakingly well-developed and the journey you go through together is a series of events that form a Loctite-solid bond. By the end of the game, you feel a connection to each and every one of them. They... they kind of end up being your friends. Not your character's friends, I... I literally mean your friends. 

So when the end finally comes around, something hits you. It might be happiness, it might be sadness. For me, it was emptiness. I was kind of literally transplanting my own emotions into the game's world and was feeling every bit of what was happening. It's something special-- something I don't think I've shared with any other game. 

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple    
    Feb 20th, 2011 - Day 8: Best Soundtrack
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By aurahack

My sincerest apologies for missing yesterday. I literally spent all... uhh... *finger counts* ... 4 hours of free time I had last night on homework, catching up on like... 3 classes-worth of work that I missed on one project. I ended up falling on my bed and crashing there on top of a stack of tracing paper, regular paper and pencils. I feel like shit today but that shouldn't stop me from posting anything today! Actually, it's kind of a bummer that I don't feel so hot and that I post something about... 

No Caption Provided

Persona 4  

I honestly couldn't come up with an answer for this, so I chose what I thought to be most fitting to the subject and what kind of hit me in the chest the most. I'll keep it concise due to spoilers. 

Essentially, the saddest scene I've ever sat through in gaming was the end of Persona 4. No one died, no one betrayed the group... it was just... Persona 4 is of a rare breed. It's characters are painstakingly well-developed and the journey you go through together is a series of events that form a Loctite-solid bond. By the end of the game, you feel a connection to each and every one of them. They... they kind of end up being your friends. Not your character's friends, I... I literally mean your friends. 

So when the end finally comes around, something hits you. It might be happiness, it might be sadness. For me, it was emptiness. I was kind of literally transplanting my own emotions into the game's world and was feeling every bit of what was happening. It's something special-- something I don't think I've shared with any other game. 

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple    
    Feb 20th, 2011 - Day 8: Best Soundtrack
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tooPrime

This post is about Starcraft right?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Do I really need to say it? Also, what happened to mracoon's 365 game thingy?

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Pepsiman

I felt the same way about that particular ending, too, Aura. In all honesty, it was the main impetus as to why I did a second run of the game almost immediately after beating it. I just didn't want to leave those characters and that world quite yet. All good things do come to an end, as they say, but I just wanted it to last a little longer and go off with them some more. And so I did.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aurahack
    @tooPrime: Considering I've played all but 0 Starcraft games, you're absolutely correct! Yousuke's 1-barrack opener was the worst. 

@Video_Game_King: Couldn't tell you, I don't think I have him on my Followed list. Also, say what? >>
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @aurahack: 

Say this:

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By recroulette

Hahaha, just kidding. For me it's probably this. 

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By aurahack
    @Pepsiman: Precisely what I did, too. I never thought I'd end up liking it more than I did Persona 3 but what P4 does better than it's predecessor (which is essentially everything), it does about 20 times so.

@Video_Game_King:
     You bring up a Nintendo game every time and every time I am left confused. XD I guess that is what I get for completely skipping the NES and SNES in my childhood.
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aurahack
    @RecSpec: Totally can't click your spoiler warning. It links me back to the top of the page. Also, if that'd of been your serious answer I would harass Sweep and/or Matty until I got your ass banned. >:(
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By recroulette
    @aurahack: I can never get spoiler tags right.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aus_azn
    @aurahack said:

" @Pepsiman: Precisely what I did, too. I never thought I'd end up liking it more than I did Persona 3 but what P4 does better than it's predecessor (which is essentially everything), it does about 20 times so. "

This. I just think Persona 4 had a lot more refinement and precision behind it as compared with Persona 3. The characters were generally more likeable (except for Aigis, who was awesome).
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By aurahack
    @natetodamax: That was the spoiler I was avoiding. :P 

@Aus_azn: That's actually exactly what my girlfriend said. I started a new playthrough with her and 20 hours in, she told me "Argh, why are the characters so much more likeable in this game." 

@RecSpec: Use more skill.
    ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By ShadowKing7

Can't disagree with this.  No matter how many times I've played through the game, and it's been a lot, that ending never ceases to get to me in a sad and yet heartwarming way.  The song over the credits probably helps add to it, for me at least.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
    @aurahack: Aha, my bad. It has been spoilerified
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aus_azn
    @aurahack said:
    " @natetodamax: That was the spoiler I was avoiding. :P 

@Aus_azn: That's actually exactly what my girlfriend said. I started a new playthrough with her and 20 hours in, she told me "Argh, why are the characters so much more likeable in this game."
    Whether it's a spoiler or not is a huge grey area on this site. IMO, it's not really a spoiler if the whole game is available for viewing on this site as one of it's prime features.

In terms of the party alone, Yukari came off as being bitchy on occasion, Junpei was the definition of a poser, Mitsuru was great, Akihiko seemed rather detached, I hate Fuuka in every way, I hate Ken in nearly every way, and Shinjiro is freezing cold. I only really liked Aigis, Mitsuru and Yukari. In P4, I was fine with everyone except Teddie, whose grating voice and horrifically bad puns really ticked me off.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turambar
    @aurahack said:
    " @Pepsiman: Precisely what I did, too. I never thought I'd end up liking it more than I did Persona 3 but what P4 does better than it's predecessor (which is essentially everything), it does about 20 times so.

@Video_Game_King:
     You bring up a Nintendo game every time and every time I am left confused. XD I guess that is what I get for completely skipping the NES and SNES in my childhood. "
    No, he just brings up Fire Emblem 4 everytime.  Also everyone knows Manly Hector dying in FF6 is sadder.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By natetodamax
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @aurahack said:

Teddie, whose grating voice and horrifically bad puns really ticked me off. "
    Who has better (or worse?) puns: Teddie or Ikutsuki?
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Turambar
    @tooPrime said:
    " This post is about Starcraft right? "
    I just got this after 10 minutes of wondering why the SC reference.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aus_azn
    @natetodamax said:

" @Aus_azn said:

" @aurahack said:

Teddie, whose grating voice and horrifically bad puns really ticked me off. "
    Who has better (or worse?) puns: Teddie or Ikutsuki? "
    Teddie's are just annoying because you hear them all the time.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'd say Persona 3 beats out 4 in this category.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel

It's difficult to disagree with this.  The characters in Persona 4 are just an amazing group, and after playing the game, they all really stuck with me.  And the ending is absolutely perfect and only made me wish that the game wasn't over yet.  After playing Persona 3, I didn't think anything could top it for me, but then P4 went and did absolutely everything better.

Persona 4 really succeeded in capturing a whole range of emotions.  There are parts that are silly, tragic, tense, creepy, melancholic, nostalgic, and ridiculous.  Kind of like the way life actually is, only with more jumping into the TV.   It makes me eager to see how the P4 team was able to capture the adult relationships of Catherine.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Persona 3 FES' ending is still way, way better than Persona 4's, at least for me. Persona 4's ending was disappointing after having finished P3FES and, although it was somewhat touching, it isn't near the quality of the way FES ended.  

It's also quite more sad if you know what's going on and you're not an idiot like me. (P3 FES spoilers)

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ:@JJWeatherman: 

Yeah. I liked P4 better then P3 in virtually every aspect....except for the ending. To be honest the entire endgame of P4 felt a little lame after the killer is revealed. While P3 doesn't really take off until the very end.

Lets hope they get it right in Persona 5!
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By aurahack
    @JJWeatherman: @FluxWaveZ: Persona 3 was actually my first choice for this but for as sad as I was when the end of P3 came around, I wasn't sad because of the cumulative events that happened beforehand and the relationships I shared with the characters. I was sad because they did something that I didn't expect and didn't want to happen. It was a bummer, but not an emotional bummer like P4 is. I teared up during Persona 4 only due to the fact that I didn't want to be done with the world, the characters and the story. Even Persona 3, in all of it's greatness, never accomplished that with me. 

But again, that's just me! Pretty great that it goes to different extremes for other people. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.