Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

A short analysis of Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4

garison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By garison

[Please keep in mind, I wrote this post in January of 2009, but I think it is definitely still applicable, and should be discussed. It never really got too much attention where I posted it before, and I would really like to see what the Giant Bomb community thinks about the subject. If you guys have a problem with me cross posting this from another site, just say so and I'll gladly delete it as soon as possible.]

Many video games have addressed romantic issues and sexuality before, but none so in the way that Persona 4has. Persona 4 is the only video game that I can think of at the moment that actually talks about homosexuality in aserious way, without poking fun at it, or just being flat out unprofessional. 

The part near the beginning of the game where you have to rescue Kanji from the TV world really got me thinking. This character just is so conflicted in his life. He has major issues with what and who he is attracted to, and inside the TV, you really get to see his true emotions come out. He is FLAMING gay. He talks about how he hates talking to girls, how douchey they can be, and that he would much rather enjoy the company of males. 

In his life in the real world, he puts on a charade and acts tough by being in a biker gang, skipping school, and beating up other kids to show off how tough he is. Kanji's dungeon that you have to save him from in the game is actually a bath house where he runs around in nothing but a tiny sumo wrestlers outfit, yelling to the world about how much he loves pecs and how he needs to find a boyfriend ASAP. The boss of the dungeon is a giant wide-shouldered, head-less man holding large "male" signs as weapens with red roses growing all over his chest, on which Kanji rides on top of. Please tell me this isn't the gayest character you have ever seen in a videogame.

It's not only his sexuality that Kanji is worried about, he grew up in a textiles (cloth) shop, and is a talented sewer, but he get's teased for it. Kanji's true fear is the fear of being rejected. 

I really love how brave Atlus was with releasing a game with with stuff like this in North America. Let's just wait 'till the FOX News people get ahold of this 'GAME IS PR0N" business...    
    garison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By garison

[Please keep in mind, I wrote this post in January of 2009, but I think it is definitely still applicable, and should be discussed. It never really got too much attention where I posted it before, and I would really like to see what the Giant Bomb community thinks about the subject. If you guys have a problem with me cross posting this from another site, just say so and I'll gladly delete it as soon as possible.]

Many video games have addressed romantic issues and sexuality before, but none so in the way that Persona 4has. Persona 4 is the only video game that I can think of at the moment that actually talks about homosexuality in aserious way, without poking fun at it, or just being flat out unprofessional. 

The part near the beginning of the game where you have to rescue Kanji from the TV world really got me thinking. This character just is so conflicted in his life. He has major issues with what and who he is attracted to, and inside the TV, you really get to see his true emotions come out. He is FLAMING gay. He talks about how he hates talking to girls, how douchey they can be, and that he would much rather enjoy the company of males. 

In his life in the real world, he puts on a charade and acts tough by being in a biker gang, skipping school, and beating up other kids to show off how tough he is. Kanji's dungeon that you have to save him from in the game is actually a bath house where he runs around in nothing but a tiny sumo wrestlers outfit, yelling to the world about how much he loves pecs and how he needs to find a boyfriend ASAP. The boss of the dungeon is a giant wide-shouldered, head-less man holding large "male" signs as weapens with red roses growing all over his chest, on which Kanji rides on top of. Please tell me this isn't the gayest character you have ever seen in a videogame.

It's not only his sexuality that Kanji is worried about, he grew up in a textiles (cloth) shop, and is a talented sewer, but he get's teased for it. Kanji's true fear is the fear of being rejected. 

I really love how brave Atlus was with releasing a game with with stuff like this in North America. Let's just wait 'till the FOX News people get ahold of this 'GAME IS PR0N" business...    
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By scarace360

i hope they do get their hands on it cause i want to see how atlus will react and see if they can man up and tell fox news to fuck off.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    garison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By garison
    @FluxWaveZ: Thanks for linking that! What a great article. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.