Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

"Apparently the game's over" - Vinny

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo

So in this weeks "I Love Mondays", Vinny tells us just what's coming our way from Giant Bomb. Some reviews, quick looks, the new TANG and of course the fact they're continuing the Endur-
    Hold up. If you go back and watch the video, Vinny states that it is the longest endurance run video so far, clocking in at 120 minutes and then goes to casually say. "Apparently the game's over."

Now I'm not one to start theories but.. is it finally here? The end to the endurance run?
    Looks like December 21st 2012 just came early for some. *Tear*

No Caption Provided

Disclaimer: I'd just like everyone to know, this is not a troll post at all. I am curious to see how you guys are reacting to the possible news, stating the end of the endurance run. Discuss.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

No. In today's episode, which was 80 minutes, not 120, they finished Void Quest and all the characters in the game were like "Well, it's finally over. Blah blah blah We found the killer." Vinny was being sarcastic. It's not over.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By eirikr

It was very clearly sarcasm to me. Always be suspect when JRPG characters go on and on about threats being over.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By teptom

Sarcasm from Vinny. He's said "It's over" in every other episode anyway. Don't worry. 

Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Satune

I would hate to see the Endurance Run go away.
    But, watch today's episode, and you will see why Vinny is saying that it is 'over'. obviously they know theres another 40 hours, it just seems that where they are in the story, that the game's over.
     No but if the Endurance Run ended... bad stuff would happen around me.

Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Happy
    Oh noes spoilerz: Expect another 20-30 hours judging by their speed. Assuming they don't give up when they run face first into the crappy ending.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Milkman said:
    " No. In today's episode, which was 80 minutes, not 120, they finished Void Quest and all the characters in the game were like "Well, it's finally over. Blah blah blah We found the killer." Vinny was being sarcastic. It's not over. "

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChrisTaran

Why is sarcasm so hard for so many to understand?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By iamjohn
    @ChrisTaran said:
    " Why is sarcasm so hard for so many to understand? "
    Because this is the internet and people are dumb.
    etdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By etdragon
    @Happy said:
    " Oh noes spoilerz: Expect another 20-30 hours judging by their speed. Assuming they don't give up when they run face first into the crappy ending. "
    God I hope they don't end the game on that ending.  It's just so bad.
    Avatar image for akasofailsongiantbomb
    AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah, this isn't the first time that Vinny's made a joke about the Endurance Run being over. If anything, I'm more worried about the fact that

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD
    AVERT THINE EYES LEST YOU LOSE THY INNOCENCE

...They seem to know who the killer is. Once the party gets out of the TV, Vinny (or possibly Jeff, I can't remember) says something about a certain character(I don't want to post the character's name; better safe than sorry) "looking happy". It couldn't have been a coincidence.

Did someone spoil the game for them? I hope it wasn't me. Somehow.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By flaminghobo
    @ChrisTaran: Sarcasm's a double edged sword for me my friend, most of the time I'll pick it up, but there's just the ocassional time I'll mis-interpret it and end up looking like a bit of a muppet. I'm not afraid to admit it though.
    Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Expletive

in one episode they said that they will probably use a guide so they can get the true ending

Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Happy

I imagine they are invested enough that they will go for the true ending no matter what. Now what we should be doing is starting some betting pools on how many times they will inadvertently end the game prematurely.

jon93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jon93

We need to find a way to clue them in on the true ending without spoilers. Use very generic terms.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By subject2change
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @ChrisTaran said:
    " Why is sarcasm so hard for so many to understand? "
    Because this is the internet and people are dumb.
    "
    but he SAID it and it wasn't typed...ugh some people.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Jeff and Vinny make this joke all the time, in fact it's pretty much a running joke of Giant Bomb in general. I knew as soon as Vinny said it he was joking around.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " @ChrisTaran: Sarcasm's a double edged sword for me my friend, most of the time I'll pick it up, but there's just the ocassional time I'll mis-interpret it and end up looking like a bit of a muppet. I'm not afraid to admit it though. "
    Well, I can certainly respect a man who can admit a mistake :)
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By flaminghobo
    @ChrisTaran said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @ChrisTaran: Sarcasm's a double edged sword for me my friend, most of the time I'll pick it up, but there's just the ocassional time I'll mis-interpret it and end up looking like a bit of a muppet. I'm not afraid to admit it though. "
    Well, I can certainly respect a man who can admit a mistake :) "
    Then I in turn, can respect you.
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Never, GiantBomb is still a threat.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nasar7
    @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb: I've been suspecting that for the past 50 episodes or so...
    Jeremy_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeremy_x

I dunno, they constantly throw in some theories that will turn out true in the course of the game, which could mean they spoiled the story, but on the other side certain things ARE predictable, so who knows...

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bybeach

The way Vinnie said it made me wonder a little, since they are walking a little bit of a tightrope here, playing honestly and for some laughs,  whomever that still might offend. And of whats been said about them knowing this or that whether they wanted or not.. well they did set up among other things, an information site. These guys are adults, but sometimes the penalty is for that is having some of the fun diminished, and having to worry about legalities vs. speaking how things hit them. Thats why in the comment sections it`s rediculous to have a few ppl. degrading them, as oppossed to those others with good advice, and the rest of us settling for a good laugh.

i appreciatte their effort and position, been fun for me, thankyou.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bybeach

The way Vinnie said it made me wonder a little, since they are walking a little bit of a tightrope here, playing honestly and for some laughs,  whomever that still might offend. And of whats been said about them knowing this or that whether they wanted or not.. well they did set up among other things, an information site. These guys are adults, but sometimes the penalty is for that is having some of the fun diminished, and having to worry about legalities vs. speaking how things hit them. Thats why in the comment sections it`s rediculous to have a few ppl. degrading them, as oppossed to those others with good advice, and the rest of us settling for a good laugh.

i appreciatte their effort and position, been fun for me, thankyou.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ben_H

They beat the Void Quest.  The Void Quest is a "game".  Therefore they beat the "game".  Beating the "game" means "game over" most of the time.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I wish I had started watching the Endurance Run earlier so I could get into it but they are way too far along to catch up. I'll wait for the next one...

Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shiftshaper
    @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb said:
    "Nah, this isn't the first time that Vinny's made a joke about the Endurance Run being over. If anything, I'm more worried about the fact that

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD

...They seem to know who the killer is. Once the party gets out of the TV, Vinny (or possibly Jeff, I can't remember) says something about a certain character(I don't want to post the character's name; better safe than sorry) "looking happy". It couldn't have been a coincidence.Did someone spoil the game for them? I hope it wasn't me. Somehow."

I noticed that, and that they *SPOILER*:

At one point said something like "And they'll leave and then Nanako will be kidnapped" in a joking manner, meaning they most likely know that she will get kidnapped in the story.

Maybe they looked it up, maybe it got spoiled for them, maybe they've secretly already finished the game. Who knows? And why do I care? These are all questions I cannot answer.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By TheHBK

I dont think its over but I think they should end it at 100, i mean we only have so much time and it would be great to see a new game.  Although persona lends itself so well for this.  I would think that in the future they should limit the episodes to 50 or something so we can see more games.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @TheHBK said:
    " I dont think its over but I think they should end it at 100, i mean we only have so much time and it would be great to see a new game.  Although persona lends itself so well for this.  I would think that in the future they should limit the episodes to 50 or something so we can see more games. "
    Quick Looks are for seeing games. Why would you want to watch them play through half a game? It woulldnt be much of an ENDURANCE run if they stopped at 50 every time.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PercyChuggs

I hope so, just so that everyone will shut up about it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#31  Edited By Hailinel

The game is pretty far from over.  They've still got a long ways to go before they're even in bad ending territory.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheHBK
    @JeffGoldblum:
    I suppose you have a point.  Yeah quick looks are for seeing games but I mean to really get to see a game that is obscure for more than 20 minutes.  This is why it works for persona. Would you not want to see another game from Japan that no one would normally play or see?
    Also, "Fuck Jeff Goldblum" - Saul in Pineapple Express, hahahaha.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @TheHBK said:
    " @JeffGoldblum: I suppose you have a point.  Yeah quick looks are for seeing games but I mean to really get to see a game that is obscure for more than 20 minutes.  This is why it works for persona. Would you not want to see another game from Japan that no one would normally play or see?Also, "Fuck Jeff Goldblum" - Saul in Pineapple Express, hahahaha. "
    Why would you watch someone get 25 hours into a game and not finish it?
    Persona is a niche title but you can find it anywhere(at least in the States) in fact my local Wal-mart carries a copy.
    A Quick look shows you a preview of a game.
    An Endurance Run is more for entertainment not showing off games.
    Oh and if you fuck me you will end up with fly babies and the guy in charge of the magazine will have to get you an abortion.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheHBK
    @JeffGoldblum:
    Well how many people have picked up the game?  Thats the point of the Endurance run, they guys even let us know, this lets us get a good thorough look at a game we would not pick up otherwise and frankly dont have the time to go through.  I think its a cool game but would not pay for it and dont have time for something that long.  Also, 25 hours?  Most games are not that long so yeah, they should finish it, but I doubt most games would last as long as the ER has.
    And what magazine are you talking about?  Calm down boy, you need to not take stuff so seriously.  I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @TheHBK said:
    " @JeffGoldblum:
    Well how many people have picked up the game?  Thats the point of the Endurance run, they guys even let us know, this lets us get a good thorough look at a game we would not pick up otherwise and frankly dont have the time to go through.  I think its a cool game but would not pay for it and dont have time for something that long.  Also, 25 hours?  Most games are not that long so yeah, they should finish it, but I doubt most games would last as long as the ER has.
    And what magazine are you talking about?  Calm down boy, you need to not take stuff so seriously.  I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
    "
    Have you not seen The Fly?
    That is what the last line of my post was about.
    Anyway the Endurance Run is not to show us a game. I have said this like 3 times now.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Milkman
    @TheHBK said:
    " @JeffGoldblum:
    "
    -_-

Uggh...this post...So many things wrong.
    Onomarchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Onomarchus
    TERRIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS POST. WILL RUIN THE WHOLE GAME. DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN NORMAL ENDING OR BETTER.

@AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb
    said:
    " Nah, this isn't the first time that Vinny's made a joke about the Endurance Run being over. If anything, I'm more worried about the fact that

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD

...They seem to know who the killer is. Once the party gets out of the TV, Vinny (or possibly Jeff, I can't remember) says something about a certain character(I don't want to post the character's name; better safe than sorry) "looking happy". It couldn't have been a coincidence.Did someone spoil the game for them? I hope it wasn't me. Somehow. "
    They said "why does [so and so] seem happy"  because the people on screen then said he seemed happy. Not exactly a smoking gun. I could go either way on them knowing stuff ahead of time, but I like to believe they haven't been spoiled and just make some spot-on comments. I tried to predict things like the next piece of dialogue once when I was still playing P4 after watching ER, and it wasn't too hard. That might be because P4 characters tend to say what the player must be thinking.

I do remember that Jeff (I think it was) often mentions Igor turning back time if they fail even though the ER never hit that situation, but he could have heard that in a low-spoiler FAQ or from that playthrough he was doing on his own way back when.  The most memorable quote so far for me was when they were talking during a boring dungeon crawl about getting multiple endings and one of them said something like, "I figured the ending was just we have to slit Yosuke's throat to keep him from going evil." Not exactly true, but it's close to dead on if you allow for dramatic license.

And the thing about Nanako was probably just part of a string of jokes about Dojima getting pissed off at Charlie like he did when you take her to Junes at night. When he's not neglecting her to death, he's paranoid and worrying anything could happen to her.
    Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Curufinwe

Why are some people so bad at picking up on sarcasm?

allhailthetv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By allhailthetv

The "Nanako getting kidnapped" thing has been a running gag from the very beginning, possibly even in episode 1.

Vect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vect

Jeff and Vinny, assuming that they've been big on avoiding major spoilers have been pretty good at guessing plot points. For example, it didn't take them long to figure out that Mitsuo was the suspect that the police had, after which Jeff knew that he wasn't the real killer and was a copycat at best. Even if for the most part they're throwing around osme of these as part of a laugh they can get pretty accurate at times.

The guys already have a very good idea on the real killer, that's for sure and they're good at noticing some suspicious things (How the Gas Station Attendant is only around during rainy days, which is the most I'll say for that without exposing anything else)

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Vect: I reckon they already know but to avoid ruining it for others are just not saying, because with all the times they've looked up answers and been on various forums I can't imagine some place somewhere as it's the internet there was a spoiler and they already know.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Vect:

What else do you need to expose?  To anyone with any sense you just spoiled something.  They may not know what it is, but they know that you did.
    Vect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vect

Yeah, I'm bad at trying to put it in a not-too spoileriffic way...

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By creamclouds

I wish it was over myself. I'd like to see a different endurance run. and hopefully not one from the same developers.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @FlamingHobo said:

No Caption Provided
    I did THAT in Fallout 3.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Metroid545

Not going to name any spoilers but there is LAOT more persona 4 left in the game so unless they just gave up the endurance team is not done

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Blubba
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    " I dont think its over but I think they should end it at 100, i mean we only have so much time and it would be great to see a new game.  Although persona lends itself so well for this.  I would think that in the future they should limit the episodes to 50 or something so we can see more games. "
    Quick Looks are for seeing games. Why would you want to watch them play through half a game? It woulldnt be much of an ENDURANCE run if they stopped at 50 every time. "
    I agree with this sentiment. Could you imagine if the P4ER was over at 50 (like it almost did)? I almost cried that day, and I say this as a 17 year-old male who likes to tell himself that he is a man.
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lemon360

man giant bomb should have a gigantic vote to decide the next game for ER

Yunvon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Yunvon
    @lemon360 said:
    " man giant bomb should have a gigantic vote to decide the next game for ER "
    I some how think maybe one of the Silent Hill games would make for a great ER?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.