Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Did already playing P4 make you enjoy the ER less?

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sixghost

I've got a copy of Deadly Premonition ready to play, but after reading some of the hints that they were going to be starting the 2nd endurance run I'm considering just returning the game and watching the ER. Since both P4 and Deadly Premonition seem like story/dialogue dependent games, I was wondering if people who had already played P4 before watching the endurance run thought they might have enjoyed it more if they were going into it without any experience with the game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

That's probably one of the reasons why I won't watch the Endurance Run (besides the ridiculous length): because I know I'll play it someday, and I don't want it spoiled for me.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ChrisTaran

I enjoyed the Endurance Run much more because I knew what was coming.  Made me really excited to hear what Jeff and Vinny's reactions to my favorite scenes would be.

In fact, I played through the game a 2nd time just so I could refresh my memory on what was coming up.  I' d usually keep about an hour or so ahead of them in my 2nd play through for that reason.  

I plan on doing the same thing with Deadly Premonition.  Will probably start playing it Sunday just to get ahead of them.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By AuthenticM

I had already played through P4 before watching the ER and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know what is better though: to play the game beforehand or not.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

I enjoyed the ER well enough despite having beaten the game before it started.  I didn't watch every last episode, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I watched the ER through in its entirety, then bought a PS2 and Persona 4 last year to play through myself. Didn't make me enjoy it any less.
    Doing Social Links and battles your own way still feels fine on a second run, and the story elements of the game were never really spoiled, I just had two other guys in the room watching them with me and afterwards I did my own second playthrough solo.

act26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By act26

i had never heard of persona before the ER, so after seeing how great it is I wish i had found it for myself. I dont see any point now playing an 80 hour game if i know everything that happens.
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Nah, I don't think so. I'm glad I got to play the game in its unfiltered form first. Watching the Endurance Run is a bit like watching a great movie with a commentary track over it. It's a cool new take on the whole thing, but if I hadn't played it first, I'd feel like I was missing out.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane

I'd personally say it's quite the opposite. 
    It's much better if you play the game before watching. A lot of the comments that the guys make don't mean much, even to them, unless you've played past them and know what's coming. Kinda funny that. 

Also, watching the ER may cause you to not really want to play the game afterwards, meaning you'll miss out on actualy getting to play, and stuff not covered in the episodes.
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @SpunkyHePanda said:
    " Nah, I don't think so. I'm glad I got to play the game in its unfiltered form first. Watching the Endurance Run is a bit like watching a great movie with a commentary track over it. It's a cool new take on the whole thing, but if I hadn't played it first, I'd feel like I was missing out. "
    I think that's the perfect way to put it!
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

Hell naw. I probably wouldn't have even watched if I hadn't played it yet. I wouldn't want them spoiling the game for me.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

About a couple of weeks into the start of the ER, I saw a few episodes (about 4) and decided to stop watching because I immediately realized it was a game I wanted to play for myself, after playing through its predecessor.  I then resumed watching the Endurance Run and I enjoyed it very much as I knew what was coming and anticipated their reaction to it.  I also was a bit frustrated in some earlier parts when they made some idiotic decisions (but that soon stopped as that made for part of the charm of the ER).

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Addfwyn

I actually was playing them together.  I was maybe 10 hours into the game when I started watching the ER, so I'd leave the ER run on my computer while playing P4.  

They played off each other pretty well.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " That's probably one of the reasons why I won't watch the Endurance Run (besides the ridiculous length): because I know I'll play it someday, and I don't want it spoiled for me. "
    Still haven't played it, and now I don't really plan to: I know what happens, and my experience cannot possibly be improved upon what they provided. I doubt I would've loved it and the characters as much without "real-time comments" from the guys.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Semition
    @ChrisTaran said:
    " I enjoyed the Endurance Run much more because I knew what was coming.  Made me really excited to hear what Jeff and Vinny's reactions to my favorite scenes would be.
    This.

I finished Persona 4 before I watched the Endurance Run.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Nux

I had stopped playing Persona 4 for a while(I forgot why I stopped playing) but once I started the Endurance Run I picked it back up again and finished before they did. I think the Endurance R un made me like Persona 4 even more then I already did.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By davidwitten22

I watched about 60 or 70 episodes of the Endurance Run, then stopped to go buy the game and play it myself. I'm glad I watched as much as I did because I think it made the beginning of the game more enjoyable. 

Watching the Endurance Run does not make Persona 4 any less enjoyable. It's still one of the best games I've ever played.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.