Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

My own Game of the Year of 2009: Persona 4.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Edited By Jost1

I've played Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, Modern Warfare 2, Batman, and pretty much any other AAA title you can think of that's been released this year. But none of them have had the impact on me that Persona 4 had, and still has. I've never been so impressed by the writing in a video game, by the characterizations, the twists and turns, and the sheer amount of thought that must have gone into it. 

I was introduced to it by the now famous Endurance Run and that led to me playing the game on a borrowed PS2. For months. I don't know, enough has been written about how brilliant this piece of entertainment is, I feel like I can't add to it.
    Man, this is weird
    Man, this is weird

"But Persona 4 was a 2008 game," you cry. Not in the magical land of Europe it wasn't. So it counts. And that means a PS2 is my game of the year. Deal with it!
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jost1

I've played Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, Modern Warfare 2, Batman, and pretty much any other AAA title you can think of that's been released this year. But none of them have had the impact on me that Persona 4 had, and still has. I've never been so impressed by the writing in a video game, by the characterizations, the twists and turns, and the sheer amount of thought that must have gone into it. 

I was introduced to it by the now famous Endurance Run and that led to me playing the game on a borrowed PS2. For months. I don't know, enough has been written about how brilliant this piece of entertainment is, I feel like I can't add to it.
    Man, this is weird
    Man, this is weird

"But Persona 4 was a 2008 game," you cry. Not in the magical land of Europe it wasn't. So it counts. And that means a PS2 is my game of the year. Deal with it!
    yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By yeahno
    @josty81 said:

"But Persona 4 was a 2008 game,"
    ... hehe :P
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

Release date shenanigans aside, it's a very solid choice.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Even though it came out last year for the US, it is also my game of the year. I played it this year therefore it is a candidate in my opinion.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jost1
    @cstrang:  It's not really shenanigans when it's a reality for me, being a European resident. :)
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By cstrang
    @josty81: I meant shenanigans on their part, not yours.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jost1
    @cstrang: ah of course. Yeah that's par for the course here, we always get the short end of the stick.
    User_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By User_Name
    @josty81:  This is probably my favorite game EVER. I have not beaten it yet (actually got the worst ending but I am going to go for the god ending now) but it really has touched me in a way not many other video games have in a long time. I agree the characters are so loveable and I can see myself with people like that in real life, the music is popping, its just an amazing game, for me at least.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jost1

Yep!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.