Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

New Persona being work on

• 66 results
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Reuben

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By REDRUN
    @metalsnakezero:  I don't know where you get your sources but here is the true sequel here...

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Pepsiman

It's hardly surprising, but nice to have real confirmation of it. The team seems to have had a real knack for paying attention to consumer feedback, so here's hoping they make lightning strike again.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By penguindust

Ugh!  Sad news since this would imply that we won't see a new SMT: Persona game for another year or more.  Persona 4 came out in 2008 and if this next version is just getting started then I guess we won't see anything before next year's TGS.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By REDRUN

Seriously, Persona 3 and 4 were my gateway drug to the Shin Megami Tensei titles. I am looking forward to the next Persona and their move to beefier consoles like the PS3 and 360.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Pepsiman
    @PenguinDust:  The wording itself is pretty vague, I agree, but some of the groundwork might have already been laid down ahead of time, since I believe Atlus has been working on a PS3 engine for SMT games for... going about two years now, it seems, if my memory isn't wonky. What that actually entails is anybody's guess, but as one of the Kotaku commenters pointed out, the game could just be exiting pre-production. By the sound of it, at the very least, the guy being interviewed made it sound as though at least some gameplay ideas were floating around, so I don't think they're starting entirely from scratch.

But either way, yeah, I'd be prepared to start twiddling my thumbs a lot, too. Atlus is pretty tight-lipped about the games being in development until they're only a few months away from launch.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust
    @Pepsiman:   Yeah, I read the comments on the Kotaku site and understand that preproduction might be over now.  I also recall some résumés circulating from Altus employees or third party developers which mentioned Persona 5 a year ago, but there was also some conjecture at the time that the documents were referring the the PSP games.  Either way, if preproduction is over and hands-on, nuts & bolts game development is now starting, we are still quite some time from a release in Japan which means another 8-10 months before an international version is available.  I was hoping for video at this year's E3 and playable reports from TGS in the fall.  It looks to me like that will have to wait for 2011. 
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Awesome news. Maybe we'll see something at E3.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shirogane

The eyes of Chie and Yukiko look creepy in that picture...Chie especially. 

Somewhat excited at this, yet not really, cause this is essentially something we knew was happening, or going to happen. What would be nice is some information on the game.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I will hope for a  teaser trailer at least at E3. Thanks to GB, Atlus has pretty much become my favorite video company. Previously held by early 2000 Konami.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By ToxicFruit

cool but knowing how they work this will probable be another PSP game or a remake of a old one

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Urmean
    @Toxic said:
    " cool but knowing how they work this will probable be another PSP game or a remake of a old one "
     Well, a Persona 2 remake could be pretty awesome on a PS3...
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ToxicFruit
    @Urmean said:
    " @Toxic said:
    " cool but knowing how they work this will probable be another PSP game or a remake of a old one "
     Well, a Persona 2 remake could be pretty awesome on a PS3... "
    highly doubt they would do it for the PS3
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shirogane

The wording makes it sound like a completely new game, instead of redoing/porting an old one. 

Although i wouldn't complain at a FES version of p4...
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mutha3

Fuck yeah.

Took you long enough Atlus!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Fallen189

Should be in the Persona forums, not Persona 4.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Xandurson

Well at least we'll have a Deadly Premonition ER while we wait for the inevitable Persona 5 ER.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AuthenticM

About fucking time. I hope they make the town fully explorable and devoid of loading screen. This needs to be the GTA4 of JRPGs.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mutha3
    @AuthenticM: 

Persona really doesn't seem like something that'd benefit from an open world....
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AuthenticM
    @mutha3 said:
    " @AuthenticM:   Persona really doesn't seem like something that'd benefit from an open world.... "
    It absolutely would. Imagine being able to walk from your room to the school's classroom without a single loading screen. That's what I'm talking about. It would make the town much more alive and the experience would be that much heightened.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turambar
    @AuthenticM:  Not really.  The events that made the Persona 3 and Persona 4 experience were all set pieces, and that's really how it should stay.  The game doesn't attempt to give you some sort of world to explore, it gives you a set of scenarios for you to experience.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mutha3
    @Turambar: 

Stole the words right from my mouth :P
    Horace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Horace

I actually started playing through Persona 4 myself on Saturday (after watching the Endurance Run last year) and its awesome and I'm surprised at how much I like the battle system.  Might pick up P3:FES at some point before P5 is released here in the UK.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iamjohn
    @REDRUN said:
    " @metalsnakezero:  I don't know where you get your sources but here is the true sequel here...

"
    That is amazing.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Venatio

Awesome, can't wait for it, although I guess it's gonna take forever to come out here in Europe :(

Man I hope that this is on the PS3, I would be pissed off if was for the Wii

Burntlettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Burntlettuce

I am really excited for this, some of the best news I have heard in awhile.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mutha3

I just hope they make a non silent protaginst this time.....

(yeah, I know, not gonna happen sadly....)

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Turambar said:

" @AuthenticM:  Not really.  The events that made the Persona 3 and Persona 4 experience were all set pieces, and that's really how it should stay.  The game doesn't attempt to give you some sort of world to explore, it gives you a set of scenarios for you to experience. "

What exactly is that everybody likes Persona? I say it's the world, its characters and the interactions inbetween. Not "set pieces". The S-Links is what defines Persona as we know it. If this aspect can be enhanced in any way, such as getting rid of loading screens and making all the locations feel that much more connected and relevant to each other, I say the experience would be that much stronger. What I want from a Persona is a town in which I can run about, talk to people and connect to people. I want to be there. As far as I know, there aren't any "set pieces" in JRPGs. It's a genre that is quite relaxed and has the player taking his time. Immersion is the key word.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Hell yes! I just hope atlus decides to bring it to the 360. Otherwise I'll just have to buy a PS3 just for this.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FrankCanada97

How likely will it be that the game will make the jump to current-gen consoles?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By trophyhunter
    @AuthenticM said:
    " About fucking time. I hope they make the town fully explorable and devoid of loading screen. This needs to be the GTA4 of JRPGs. "
    I hope not because GTA 4 was a piece of shit game
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scarace360

i can't wait for it but its going to come out in japan first so i would love if they just put in English text as an option.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @AuthenticM: I just don't want to run around everywhere like I had to do in Persona 3.  Already, you took a train in Persona 3 to go to places, even though there was no quick travel.  But would you really want to run around everywhere ala GTA without even having the equivalent of a car and having a train be that sort of GTA taxi?

Personally, if they want to go that open-world route, the world better be much more engaging than just being able to talk to people.  I want to see events and unique things when I'm walking around all the freaking time.  I don't want it to feel mundane.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Daroki
    @Venatio said:
    "Awesome, can't wait for it, although I guess it's gonna take forever to come out here in Europe :(  Man I hope that this is on the PS3, I would be pissed off if was for the Wii "

The fact it's being announced in Dengeki Playstation means that it's either going to be a PSP or PS3 game (with possible PS3/Xbox 360 action, but not likely heading towards the Wii unless it's a Wii/PS2 combo.)
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iamjohn
    @Venatio said:
    " I would be pissed off if was for the Wii "
    Why?  As cool as it would be on an HD system, on Wii it would be running on a beefed up version of the P4 engine.  And I don't know if you know this, but P4 is a pretty damn nice looking game all things considered. 

It would certainly be better than being on PSP.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Aha!  Is this our chance?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Turambar
    @AuthenticM said:
    " @Turambar said:

" @AuthenticM:  Not really.  The events that made the Persona 3 and Persona 4 experience were all set pieces, and that's really how it should stay.  The game doesn't attempt to give you some sort of world to explore, it gives you a set of scenarios for you to experience. "

What exactly is that everybody likes Persona? I say it's the world, its characters and the interactions inbetween. Not "set pieces". The S-Links is what defines Persona as we know it. If this aspect can be enhanced in any way, such as getting rid of loading screens and making all the locations feel that much more connected and relevant to each other, I say the experience would be that much stronger. What I want from a Persona is a town in which I can run about, talk to people and connect to people. I want to be there. As far as I know, there aren't any "set pieces" in JRPGs. It's a genre that is quite relaxed and has the player taking his time. Immersion is the key word. "
    The last thing I want to do is have to ask Chie out, and then actually walk down to the noodle shop with her.  Just pop me down right there after a loading screen.  I'd greatly prefer that.  The literal world of Persona 3 and Persona 4 are boring.   Really, they are boring.  They general population within them is boring.  The everyday goings ons are boring.  They are meant to be the epitome of normal, which is why they served such a good contrast from the crazy adventures you had at midnight / inside the TV.  The only reason open world games work is because their open world is something fantastical.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AuthenticM
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @AuthenticM: I just don't want to run around everywhere like I had to do in Persona 3.  Already, you took a train in Persona 3 to go to places, even though there was no quick travel.  But would you really want to run around everywhere ala GTA without even having the equivalent of a car and having a train be that sort of GTA taxi?  Personally, if they want to go that open-world route, the world better be much more engaging than just being able to talk to people.  I want to see events and unique things when I'm walking around all the freaking time.  I don't want it to feel mundane. "

Well I thought the player could ride a bicycle, which would act as the main means of transport. Secondly, there's always the "magical square button" so you don't have to go about the town if you don't want to. The town doesn't need to be huge or else it would feel empty. I understand why some people are put off by my idea, but I still think that if done right, it could add a lot to the game.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mutha3
    @AuthenticM: 

But adding a bicycle doesn't make the process suddenly non-tedious, just quicker and less tedious. In Grand theft auto San Andreas I could input a cheatcode to make an airplane appaer and cartwheel it into a building while jumping off it with a jetpack equiped.

In a Persona 4 open world I could do exciting things like......Walking to Junes!....and.....Walking to Chie's house!......and...uh....walk to school?

Really, navigating the ''overworld'' is fine how it is right now.
    Crabbo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Crabbo123
    @metalsnakezero:UHHHHhhhhhh, this news made me happy.  I'm expecting it to be a PSP title.
    Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I hope we get some Persona 4 cameos. Naoto could make an appearance, being a travelling private detective and all.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ashogo

We don't need cameos. Give us an all-new cast, plz.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @REDRUN: Haha, that was great.
    honey_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By honey_power

I'm really hoping that they will make this game for the Ps2... because I refuse to buy a Ps3 for anything.
    TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheChaos
    @honey_power said:
    " I'm really hoping that they will make this game for the Ps2... because I refuse to buy a Ps3 for anything. "
    Why would you limit the potential of the game for everyone else just because you don't have money?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @TheChaos said:
    " @honey_power said:
    " I'm really hoping that they will make this game for the Ps2... because I refuse to buy a Ps3 for anything. "
    Why would you limit the potential of the game for everyone else just because you don't have money? "
    Yeah, that's a really selfish line of thinking.  I don't have a PS3, but I'd buy it one a heartbeat for Persona 5.
    honey_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By honey_power
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @TheChaos said:
    " @honey_power said:
    Why would you limit the potential of the game for everyone else just because you don't have money? "
    Yeah, that's a really selfish line of thinking.  I don't have a PS3, but I'd buy it one a heartbeat for Persona 5. "
    It was just an opinion. I can't afford a Ps3, and there aren't many games on the Ps3 that I want...  and as far as "limiting potential" goes, how exactly does a game coming out on the Ps2 have less potential than a game coming out on the Ps3? I realize that it has more graphical potential on the Ps3, but really... it's a Persona game. Persona 4's a lot better than most of the games I've played on the Ps3, and it came out on the Ps2. Your logic is flawed.

I bet you guys are going to be really pissed when they announce that it's going to come out on the PSP, huh?

I, for one, am glad that Atlus didn't release Persona 4 on the Ps3... it would suck to see such a good company go down the same path that Square-Enix has gone down: all flash, no substance.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @honey_power: Work on the next console doesn't only mean graphical improvements.  It means a ton of technical improvements!  Multiples more memory could be fit on the Blu-Ray disc, giving more animated cutscenes, music, voice overs...  And better graphics benefit almost anything.  I consider Persona 3 FES/Persona 4 my favorite games, but bringing it out on the PS3 gives it potential to be awesome-r than if it was still on a last gen. console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.