Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 4 for $27.77 on Amazon!

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By davidwitten22

Brand new from Amazon itself, with free Super Saver Shipping. I don't even know if I'm gonna be able to get my ps2 from my house or not (since I have a ps3 and my mom wants the ps2 for guitar hero), but I can't pass this shit up. 

Right? 

They have Persona 3 FES for $28.70 not including $4.00 shipping. I feel like I may not enjoy P3 as much, but I've never played a Persona before. Just an endurance run. 

Tell me what's up!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FrankCanada97

Go and get both games, trust me you won't regret it. Might occupy a chunk of this year though.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ben_H

Get both but play Persona 3 first.  Once you get used to the improvements in P4 it's tough to go back to.  Plus there are a few P3 references in P4 you won't get otherwise.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iamjohn

If you have a PSP, Persona 3 Portable is coming out in July.  Even though the way they present the story may not have the flash of the original, since the gameplay is far closer to P4, you'll probably enjoy it more.  I love the hell out of P3, but seriously, if you're going to buy both for PS2, play Fes first.  It will REALLY make you appreciate how much of P4 markedly improved EVERYTHING. 

And don't play The Answer, because it sucks.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By davidwitten22

I've been spoiled form the Endurance Run (I actually just started watching it about a month ago. I'm on episode 40 or somethin atm), but is the gameplay really that much different? I mean in terms of combat (I know you can't control your allies which I'm cool with), and don't Social Links have less of an impact? I'm leaning towards P4 still (its cheaper by a hair), but I may just wait since I'm pledging a fraternity soon (professional, not social) and should have way less free time.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iamjohn
    @davidwitten22 said:

" I've been spoiled form the Endurance Run (I actually just started watching it about a month ago. I'm on episode 40 or somethin atm), but is the gameplay really that much different? I mean in terms of combat (I know you can't control your allies which I'm cool with), and don't Social Links have less of an impact? I'm leaning towards P4 still (its cheaper by a hair), but I may just wait since I'm pledging a fraternity soon (professional, not social) and should have way less free time. "

There's far less party social links in P3 (and they're basically dating the girls) and most of them just kind of suck compared to P4's (I've said it before and I'll say it again - there are tertiary social links in P4 that are far more developed and interesting than primary characters in P3). The battle system is incredibly similar, but there's enough tweaks in P4 to make it feel like kind of a different game.  For example, there's three different kind of physical attacks compared to the one in P4 (and the MC can use any of them while every other character is relegated to one); the status effects are different; there's no Fusion Forecast;  there's battle fatigue to worry about which affects how you handle the one dungeon; etc.  There's other minute differences here and there, but I think you'd get the gist if I leave it at "P4 is way more streamlined than P3." Honestly, if you only get to play one, I'd go with P4.  Lemme put it this way: P3 is a flawed game that I kind of hate yet also love it to death. P4 is, in my opinion, one of the best games ever created.
    zephyran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By zephyran

You should definitely go for it; P4 is within the top 5 games that ever came out for PS2, IMO.  If your computer's powerful enough you can even emulate a PS2 on it (though officially I must discourage you from breaking Sony's copyright in this manner).  Or, you could get a used PS2 on the cheap from some place like GameStop that will guarantee it.

If you have enough money left over after all this, get P3 FES.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, your mom plays Guitar Hero? Dude...I think I'm in love, dude.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Bouke

Just get both games, they are bot great and that is a good price! But expect to sink some serieus time in both if you want to finish them!
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davidwitten22

Well, I decided to get it. $27.77 seemed like a good price, it shipped for free, and I'm tired of waiting to play it. I better be able to go home this weekend though and get my ps2. I don't trust my computer with a ps2 emulator. They should have a Ps2 emulator for the Ps3 that you can like, put in your serial number for your Ps2 or something. 
    Damn lack of Backwards compatability. Fuck you Sony. 

So I got Persona 4. I don't know how I'll have time for it (I'm playing Oblivion and Valkyria Chronicles atm, as well as sporadically playing Ratchet and Clank and Resistance).

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By InfiniteGeass

People who don't buy this great game now have no excuse for not doing so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.