Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 4 The Animation - Thread

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1101  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Having now watched the first episode dubbed I can say that I like it. Its not perfect but that's because I'm so used to the game that hearing some lines repeated slightly differently is going to be weird. I still really liked it and I'm excited to re-watch the whole thing.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1102  Edited By Peanut

I don't give a shit about the voices anymore. It's so all over the place that I'm kinda getting used to everyone speaking a little differently in all the different P4 media out there. I pre-ordered the blu-ray immediately and I'm excited to watch it again in English. In fact, I'm so hyped that I actually downloaded the first episode from iTunes because I wanted to check out a full dubbed episode.  

The 18th is going to be such an awesome day. P4 Animation, Borderlands 2 and the first (of I pray many) Gamecenter CX dvd releases. Edit: Which upon further investigation has now been pushed back to October due to large demand requiring more discs to be pressed. BOOOO!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1103  Edited By RE_Player1

Just pre-ordered the blu-ray. This, Persona 4 Arena and Golden is making this a very good Persona year.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1104  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Just got the DVD of volume one from Right Stuff. Really like the fact that each DVD has different artwork. Wonder when volume 2 will come out.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1105  Edited By deathbyyeti

This anime isnt very good

Also the more they delve into Persona 4 the more the childish nature of it ruins it for me

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1106  Edited By Phatmac

Yeah I can't watch this anymore. I've had my fill of Persona 4 for now.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#1107  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

I've seen up to episode 12 with the English dub now, and I have to say as someone who doesn't watch a lot of anime - either subbed or dubbed - I think it's working out quite nicely. It takes a few episodes to find its footing (Erin Fitzgerald swerves wildly between being a bit too OTT in certain scenes and being a really good take on Chie, and personally I thing Yuri Lowenthal struggles to find his Yosuke voice when he's not having to whine or freak out - also it takes up to like, episode 7 for them to actually call Teddie 'Teddie' rather than 'Bear'!), and after having got used to the Japanese voices, I like it so far. I think my only concern is what they've done with Naoto. Admittedly she's not in the first 12 episodes a lot, so I don't know if the voice change is down to them changing the actress or actually getting her to put on a 'boy's voice' before her reveal, but I'm not feeling it so far.  

Everything else though I've enjoyed, and I cannot wait to get the Blu-Ray/DVD to watch the episodes on my TV!

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1108  Edited By happenstance

@Ursus_Veritas: How have you managed to see so many dubbed episodes?

benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1109  Edited By benjamimmy

@Happenstance:They are definitely around on the internet. I've personally been watching the dubs here!

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#1110  Edited By Ursus_Veritas
    @Happenstance: Pretty much as KillaWolf13 says, they're... around. I assume Episodes 1-12 cover the Collection 1 DVD/Blu-Ray?  

Don't know if I should link to where I watched them, but yeah - I couldn't find anywhere willing to stream episode 1 in the UK (Kazé/AOD only had the subbed version still available), as ANN is US only, so there you go!
    happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1111  Edited By happenstance

Thanks guys

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#1112  Edited By rjayb89

Yukiko is of the Priestess arcana, Margaret. Not Empress. You're of the Empress arcana, Margaret.

Anyway, what a bummer way to end Collection 1 with the episode that has Charlie in the alternate shitty timeline where everyone goes their separate ways and almost gets choked out by that MItsuo baby thing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1113  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@rjayb89 said:

Anyway, what a bummer way to end Collection 1 with the episode that has Charlie in the alternate shitty timeline where everyone goes their separate ways and almost gets choked out by that MItsuo baby thing.

Looking back, that might be my favorite episode in the series.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1114  Edited By toowalrus
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@rjayb89 said:

I think so, too. The end of that episode is really somethin' else. 

I was just watching some Persona. That Naoto dub is really throwing me off. I got used to Teddie and Chie pretty quick, think they're doing a great job, but I can't say the same for Naoto...
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#1115  Edited By rjayb89

Oh right, Naoto. More than Chie's and Teddie's new voice actors, to which I'm used to by now and prefer, Naoto's just doesn't match up to the original one, or at least the one in Persona 4 and Persona 4 Arena. I may just need to hear the new actress speak up with her lady tones to see if I really like it.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1116  Edited By happenstance

Just finished watching the 12 dubbed versions, still not entirely sold on Chie's new voice but I enjoyed them.

One thing I did notice though, during the end credits none of the white cards ever updated once Yu created new social links in the episodes, im pretty sure in the Japanese version they did right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@rjayb89 said:

Oh right, Naoto. More than Chie's and Teddie's new voice actors, to which I'm used to by now and prefer, Naoto's just doesn't match up to the original one, or at least the one in Persona 4 and Persona 4 Arena. I may just need to hear the new actress speak up with her lady tones to see if I really like it.

The direction on Naoto's voice in the anime is really the problem. M-E McGlynn is the first Naoto to actually pull off the 'sounds like a boy' parts (she's got one of the huskier voices in the industry), but she's not being directed properly. Naoto is fastidious and exacting with her word choice and pronunciation, that's her character tic, but McGlynn is playing it too loose and colloquial. Naoto is supposed to be alienating for the other kids to speak to, she's not laidback like Yosuke.

I've only seen up to the Kanji rescue episode. While it's taken me a while with Chie, I think Erin Fitzgerald (and the Animation in general) is doing Chie extremely well. When you find out Chie is bossy and domineering in the game, it kind of only plays as "well if you say so"... Fitzgerald's performance really gives you the sense that Chie will pick fights with boys and tell other people what they're doing, but it also highlights that she's passionate (once again, something that is informed rather than portrayed in the game). With Arena I liked it as an alternate take, but in Animation I'm fully moved over.

They're kind of overdoing it with the 'bear' jokes. It's like they only have a couple seconds of Teddie lines in every episode so they just pack them in there.

I can't believe Kanji called them all twats. That's amazing.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1118  Edited By Zripwud

@FluxWaveZ said:

@rjayb89 said:

Magical Detective Loveline!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, they really messed up with Naoto and being one of my favorite characters it will probably make me never want to see the dubbed version again. It's a shame. What I don't know is, why they change the VA? In Persona 4 Arena it's the same as the original game and I hope that's the case for P4G. Please tell me so!

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1119  Edited By deathbyyeti

@Zripwud: Spoilers, it isnt the same voice in P4A and whatever team handled the direction of the anime went nuts

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1120  Edited By golguin

I didn't know the dub had already come out. I randomly selected episode 9 (Rise intro episode) and all the voices seem spot on after coming from Persona 4 Arena.

EDIT: And I just finished watching the Kanji episode and its more hilarious in english.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1121  Edited By Zripwud

@DeathbyYeti: Wait... I'm saying that Naoto's voice in P4A is the same as in the original game and I hope that's the case for the Persona 4 The Golden dub. What are you saying...?

Cause I heard the voice in the anime, and is atrocious, that's why I said: "Yep, they really messed up with Naoto and being one of my favorite characters it will probably make me never want to see the dubbed version again."

Watching this video Aram Jabbari only mentions Chie and Teddie as the new voices, so I'm confident Naoto still sounds like the original and Persona 4 Arena.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1122  Edited By deathbyyeti

@Zripwud: Naotos voice has always been a mystery but the closest is Susan Dalian who states on her facebook that she wasnt contacted to return in P4A. Mystery

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1123  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@DeathbyYeti said:

@Zripwud: Naotos voice has always been a mystery but the closest is Susan Dalian who states on her facebook that she wasnt contacted to return in P4A. Mystery

Absolutely wrong.

Susan Dalian was never Naoto's voice actress in anything. The voice actress for Naoto in Persona 4 returned to voice her in Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Golden. The voice for Naoto in Persona 4: The Animation is Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn.

@Zripwud said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Magical Detective Loveline!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the results, it's 50/50 between the episode of Mitsuo's Shadow and Loveline.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1124  Edited By crusader8463

I'm still impatiently waiting for the last half of the series to get dubbed before I start in on this series. I can only find the subs version as it is. IIRC it's coming out at the start of 2013.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#1125  Edited By SMTDante89

@crusader8463: Apparently it's January 15th, that's what a few different places are saying at the moment.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1126  Edited By crusader8463

@SMTDante89: Ya, I just went by the Amazon page.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1127  Edited By alexpiercey

Hey guys. Just watched the whole anime and read through this whole thread. It was pretty fucking awesome.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a fun thread... I miss the days when a big chunk of GB had something in common to talk about each week-

Wait, Breaking Bad is coming back soon. Never mind.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Heh. Funny seeing this thread make a comeback. I coincidentally finally got around to buying the series on DVD this past weekend.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Heh. Funny seeing this thread make a comeback. I coincidentally finally got around to buying the series on DVD this past weekend.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it on Blu-ray a few weeks back and loved the shit out of it too, ya guys

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUUUUU, Im actually mad that we won't see P3 Movie until like 2015 or late 2014, I really hope dub blue ray comes quick.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUUUUU, Im actually mad that we won't see P3 Movie until like 2015 or late 2014, I really hope dub blue ray comes quick.

My morals don't outweigh my excitement for that movie. It comes out in Japan on November 23, 2013? I'll probably see it on the 25th or so.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

My morals don't outweigh my excitement for that movie. It comes out in Japan on November 23, 2013? I'll probably see it on the 25th or so.

YOU LUCKY BASTARD

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1137  Edited By toowalrus

Oh hey. "Persona 4: The Golden: The Animation" was just announced.

...Thoughts? (I'll watch it. Why not.)

The stream made it seem like it's basically the Marie arc, which is cool with me, because it was pretty much a standalone story and was probably the best addition to Golden.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.