Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 5 announced?

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

Found this article concerning Shoji Meguro, apperently he has been credtied with involement with Persona 5. Linktacular!

aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By aerious

its been rumored for a long time now.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @aerious said:

" its been rumored for a long time now. "

This.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By keyhunter

Yo son that artical was posted in August of last year.
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Pepsiman

Indeed, we've known about that article and a bunch of other sources for a while now. I believe the team is supposed to be reassembling right about now if they haven't done so already and it's more or less been alluded to being work for Persona 5, so I'd say just sit tight and let Atlus announce its game when it feels it's due.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By FrankCanada97

Persona 5 will be announced when its "officially" announced. Until the official word arrives, we'll have to sit tight.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dany

What is the likely hood it is a direct sequel to P4?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Dany said:
    " What is the likely hood it is a direct sequel to P4? "
    Given the track record of the series I am gonna say slim.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Dany: Probably not very. It'll be a spiritual sequal with the obligatory winks and nods most likely. 

Although Persona 4-2 would be freaking sweet.
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By illmatic19

Japanese Amazon listing for a new Shin Megami Tensei game for the PS3.

POOP

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Belonpopo

I would love a direct sequel to Persona 4. Mianly because I love the characters and i don't want to let them go, If it did this maybe could load your file from Persona 4 and receive some extras for completely Persona 4.

acecards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By acecards

the only thing that we can be sure about P5 is that a creepy long-nosed man will say "welcome to the velvet room"

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14  Edited By Symphony
    @Belonpopo said:
    " I would love a direct sequel to Persona 4. Mianly because I love the characters and i don't want to let them go, If it did this maybe could load your file from Persona 4 and receive some extras for completely Persona 4. "
    If they were to make a direct sequel it would more than likely follow Persona 3 by creating a second story within the same game. In 3's case it was "The Answer" and was tacked on in the Persona 3 FES package.  

I'm sure 5 will have some references to 4, such as Rise being in an advertisement on TV, or the Junes ditty playing in the background. Maybe there'll even be a field trip to Inaba much like in Persona 3 Portable. I'm still waiting with bated breath for news of a western localization of P3P. Come on Atlus, bring it over here already!
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

I loved the characters from P4 but having a direct sequel just doesn't work considering how the ending gave a real sense of closure to the story. As much as I loved them all (Chie especially) some things are best left alone. Besides, knowing the Persona games, I doubt there will be a direct sequel but like Symphony said you might see a few cameos from P4.

@Symphony: As far as I know there's no official release date but it is coming out the US according to Slippy's blog. I don't know where he got this information though but I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus did bring P3P over to the West sometime this year.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16  Edited By Symphony
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " I loved the characters from P4 but having a direct sequel just doesn't work considering how the ending gave a real sense of closure to the story. As much as I loved them all (Chie especially) some things are best left alone. Besides, knowing the Persona games, I doubt there will be a direct sequel but like Symphony said you might see a few cameos from P4.

@Symphony: As far as I know there's no official release date but it is coming out the US according to Slippy's blog. I don't know where he got this information though but I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus did bring P3P over to the West sometime this year. "
    Ahh thanks for the glimmer of hope :D 

And I couldn't agree more with the sentiment that P4 doesn't need a sequel as it really does a great job of providing a sense of closure. But maybe the hero comes back to work on relationships some more and the sequel is a pure dating sim :P
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Symphony: Now that I think about it, that sounds depressing. Everyone seems to have some problem or something that they can't seem to sort out by themselves...oh jeez. Drama girl is so dramatic it hurts...
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Well it is pretty obvious Persona 5 is going to happen. There really is no point in looking for little hints like this. The only thing I'm interested in at this point is info about the game straight from Atlus.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Well it is pretty obvious Persona 5 is going to happen. There really is no point in looking for little hints like this. The only thing I'm interested in at this point is info about the game straight from Atlus.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Curufinwe

P5 set in 2020 with Nanako as the main character.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scarace360
    @Curufinwe: good idea but it would even better if it took place a couple years after persona 4 and like every one split up and shit. 
    So like chie is like the women version of Bruce lee now. and nanako is in high school. But every thing that happened years ago when you where their starts to happen again so then you hear about it and you come back and thats where the game starts i think that would be a good idea or something even cooler for persona 5.
    Avatar image for eternalinfinity0
    EternalInfinity0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EternalInfinity0

Thank God. I can't wait for the return of the Endurance Run.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Persona 5 isn't going to come for a while. The team that worked on it is working on a new project right now.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By AndrewB

There was another rumor of a new Shin Megami Tensei game for the PS3 out of Japan today, but that probably wouldn't be a Persona title since, as was pointed out in the article:

While the release of a Persona 5 at some point is almost certain, this Amazon listing probably refers to a different game, since, in Japan, the Persona games don’t use the Shin Megami Tensei moniker.   

It's not like we don't already know the game is coming, though. It's just the wait that is the killer part.

Funger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Funger

I'm ganna call it.  Announced at E3,  Persona 5 comes out in Japan Q1 2011.  We get P5 Q4 2011.   Game is set in 2013, all new cast, and is nothing like P3 or P4.  Combat is reminiscent of Dragon Age.  Discuss.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @AndrewB said:
    " There was another rumor of a new Shin Megami Tensei game for the PS3 out of Japan today, but that probably wouldn't be a Persona title since, as was pointed out in the article:

While the release of a Persona 5 at some point is almost certain, this Amazon listing probably refers to a different game, since, in Japan, the Persona games don’t use the Shin Megami Tensei moniker.   

It's not like we don't already know the game is coming, though. It's just the wait that is the killer part.

"
    If it's a PS3 SMT game, it might be Shin Megami Tensei IV.  That game has been a long time coming.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what it would be.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @gakon5 said:
    " @Funger: No!  I need a turn-based series to continue living!

@Hailinel: As I recall Strange Journey on the DS is the fourth Shin Megami Tensei game.  Let me go dig up the proof for that.  It's odd, to be sure.  I would have pictured SMT4 as being maybe a brand-new, fully-3D take on the sci-fi post-apocalyptic settings of SMT1 and 2.  Only problem is the post-apocalypse may be played out by now.  But man, Megami Tensei had that covered a decade ago! "
    Strange Journey began life as SMTIV, but became a spin-off.  If Atlus is making SMTIV, chances are they'll call it Shin Megami Tensei IV, just as the other main entries in the series are numbered.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PureRok
    @Funger said:
    " I'm ganna call it.  Announced at E3,  Persona 5 comes out in Japan Q1 2011.  We get P5 Q4 2011.   Game is set in 2013, all new cast, and is nothing like P3 or P4.  Combat is reminiscent of Dragon Age.  Discuss. "
    That would probably be the worst thing they could do.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @PureRok said:
    " @Funger said:
    " I'm ganna call it.  Announced at E3,  Persona 5 comes out in Japan Q1 2011.  We get P5 Q4 2011.   Game is set in 2013, all new cast, and is nothing like P3 or P4.  Combat is reminiscent of Dragon Age.  Discuss. "
    That would probably be the worst thing they could do. "
    Agreed, why break the tried and true formula?
    Funger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Funger
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " @Funger said:
    That would probably be the worst thing they could do. "
    Agreed, why break the tried and true formula? "
    I feel ya man.  The thing is that I''m not convinced turn based RPGs  can work in the HD generation.  Some might argue that FFXIII is turn based...but I don't really see it that way. 

Lost Odyssey was turn based, right?  Was that underrated by any chance?
    Horace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Horace

Well I know that Atlus have a booth at E3 this year, so we will see what we see.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fallen189

Not persona 4 related.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Belonpopo:
     @Belonpopo said:
    " I would love a direct sequel to Persona 4. Mianly because I love the characters and i don't want to let them go, If it did this maybe could load your file from Persona 4 and receive some extras for completely Persona 4. "
    No. The Persona series is kinda like the Final Fantasy series; each game stands alone perfectly - the story is done, the characters have moved on. Because of the age range of the characters and the setting and the social links, I got a slight 'Breakfast Club' feel from it, and a BC2 would have been shit, because there's nothing else to say. The only way I would like characters to show up is the way Chihiro does in P4 - as a non-consequential NPC with no ties to the main character of the game.

And also, thanks for getting my hopes up: it's not an announcement, it's the same shit you'd expect - some dude is kinda sorta working on this game that is probably P5. Unless you got concrete evidence, STFU.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ch3burashka

Sorry for the double post, but I've been wondering: P5 will most certainly be on the PS3 (maybe 360, but whatever). They will probably want to 'celebrate' their milestone of sorts by changing up the formula slightly. Anyone willing to bet they will add a new twist to the battle system, or even change it entirely? I don't know what they'll do, but I would enjoy a change, because turn-based is getting stale.

Also, P3P is including a girl character. Anyone think there'll be both genders in P5? My money's on it.

The color scheme will be red.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " @Belonpopo:
     @Belonpopo said:
    No. The Persona series is kinda like the Final Fantasy series; each game stands alone perfectly - the story is done, the characters have moved on. Because of the age range of the characters and the setting and the social links, I got a slight 'Breakfast Club' feel from it, and a BC2 would have been shit, because there's nothing else to say. The only way I would like characters to show up is the way Chihiro does in P4 - as a non-consequential NPC with no ties to the main character of the game. And also, thanks for getting my hopes up: it's not an announcement, it's the same shit you'd expect - some dude is kinda sorta working on this game that is probably P5. Unless you got concrete evidence, STFU. "
    Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.