Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

What happens when I stare at box art twenty minutes.

• 62 results
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King
    No Caption Provided

(What the fuck is this shit?) Well, as I've said in the Persona 4 Animation thread, I recently bought Persona 4, mainly because you can't watch this and not want to get involved in that shit. Unfortunately, as I've also said there, it's gonna be a while until I play it, so what am I to do? Wait until such time that I can play it? Type up my reactions to the anime? No! Neither one!* Instead, I'm going to do something far less sane: review (or, rather, analyze the shit out of) the packaging! That's something people want to read about, right?.....Let's get this shit started:

The front

No Caption Provided

OK, so we have three sections to the front of the box: on the left, we have Kanji trying to phase his chin out of existence by looking toward the heavens, Rise looking off toward the spine, and Teddie trapped in a television. WHERE HE BELONGS. Next up is Yu, front and center, holding his glasses on his face because he doesn't know what the arms are supposed to do (I had to look that shit up). I can't tell if this is badass or just stupid, mainly because I'm too busy being completely scared of Izanagi wanting to get up in my shit. Now I can tell that that is badass. There's just no negotiating that. Finally, there's the right, featuring Yukiko defying the laws of reality by not appearing on the left in any form (look at how close she is), Yosuke trying to be sexy (just look at those full, sensuous lips), and Naoto looking in the opposite direction. I wonder why. Not much else to say, so I might as well divulge my actual opinion, for a change. I'd say it's pretty damn good. It's got a lot going on, but it's not like I'm gonna forget any one element. I mean, did you see how much I was able to write about those elements alone? Besides, it's hard not to like ax-crazy Izanagi. My only problem is how glossy the character models look. I don't know; it just looks strange and a tad overstylized. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the distinctive, flat art of the anime's intro theme song, but there's just something about these 3Dish models th-

HOLD ON, what the shit is this? The left and right sections look pretty similar, meaning all the non-Yu characters are probably in the exact same location. So what's going on? Did these high school kids bring a television to a nearby bus stop? Or did it happen to be there? And is Teddie trapped in the TV, or is he in the TV world? Is that how Shadow Teddie comes up later on? And now that it's supposed to be an actual event, how the fuck are Kanji and Naoto floating in mid-air? I can buy Rise standing, Chie sitting on the TV, and Yosuke leaning on the box itself, but how the shit are the other two defying gravity like that? And the strangest part is how everybody except Yu is driven off to the sides of the box. Does this mean that Yu has access to some alternate reality? I don't remember hearing anything about this. Is that false advertising, or does this exact scenario happen in the game? If I wasn't interested in the game before, why did I bother buying it in the first place I certainly am now that I've thought way too much about the box art. But wait, what's this shit on the bottom? "Includes bonus disc"? But I bought it second-hand, and ruined mine by tearing off all those stickers. Surely, there can't be such a bonus disc in the packaging.

Open it up, and...

...there's totally a bonus disc. (But not as an image on the site, I guess.) To be specific, it's a soundtrack to the game that thinks it's a cassette tape (why else would somebody write "Side A" on a COMPACT DISC!?). But that's not my problem with it. In fact, I really don't have any problems with it, as you could probably tell when I chose to open this blog with a song from the game itself. My problem's more with...myself, I guess? I don't own a CD player, and even if I did, I'm not the type of guy who would listen to a video game soundtrack when I'm out and about. If I want to listen to music from a game, I'll just go to YouTube and check out all the cool channels that post video game music (here, havesome). But still, gotta appreciate the thought. Ignoring the soundtrack (as I'm sure that's the only thing I'll do with it), we find the game directly underneath. Ignoring that (because doing otherwise would invalidate the premise), we find the...manual?

I got a manual with this thing? I bought it used, mind you. Can somebody remind me why we're supposed to hate used games? Wait, don't. I'm not in the mood. I'm too engaged in the manual as of writing this. Now can any of you remember a time when manuals were actually good? Of course you can't! It's 2012, and you'd be lucky if that game you bought in a Steam sale for $2 came with a manual. But remember, this game is from 2008, a time when manuals didn't suck, and boy, does it show. It has things like color and explanations of gameplay mechanics beyond "press this button to do this, you dumb shit". Of course, I'm not going to read any of that too much (I don't want to spoil too much of the game for myself), but there is something that caught my eye after scrolling through Tarot cards, monstrous spreadsheets and character portraits that are glossy as shit: explanations about Japanese culture and the like. You know, in case you (like me) don't know jack shit about Japanese culture. Hooray for attention to detail! Speaking of attention to detail, there is one thing I have yet to examine.

The back

No Caption Provided

The first three words I see on the back of the box: Tune In, Turn On, Drop DEAD... OK, first off, that's not a TV reference, that's a reference to drugs. Doing LSD. I don't think that's even present in Persona 4 (although the next few episodes could take some strange turns). Second, really? Do you guys realize how obsc-wait, what's that behind the words "Drop DEAD"? Are those Yu's eyes?....I know that I said that I love Atlus' attention to detail, but I don't want that attention to detail to stuff me into a garbage bag piece by piece.

Moving on from that, I notice that the rest of the box is dedicated to showing me what the game is like. Granted, Teddie's fat ass is blocking half the pictures, and the giant drinking straw jutting out the left certainly isn't helping, but the pictures that are there do a good enough job of telling me what the game is like. I'd make some vague guesses as to what it's like, but that would be ignoring the text. So instead, I'll make vague guesses based on the text. For example, that social link thing. Originally, I assumed that these were pretty much support conversations from Fire Emblem, and while I'm still right, apparently, there's more to it than that. There's also some TWEWY shit, and apparently, Atlus is expecting me to hate Persona 3, since otherwise, the word "enhanced" would make no goddamn sense. Of course, that's assuming anything about the box has made sense so far. Maybe the next part will? The Team Control part?....Actually, yea, it makes perfect sense. Again, it's assuming a lot about me (why exactly should I make my team Kanji, Chie, and Yosuke!?), but at least it's easier to buy "this game's like Dragon Quest IV" than it is to buy "this game's like Fire Emblem, only better than Persona 3". Finally, a CD is included. You know, Atlus, I'd be rightfully pissed if, for whatever reason, there wasn't a d-wait, they mean the soundtrack. Man, I look like a dumbass, especially since they included that helpful picture alongside it. You know, because I clearly haven't opened the box yet or anything. Wait, this game was probably shrink-wrapped at some point, meaning it probably did serve that exact purpose at some point. Might as well change that criticism into a compliment.

Finally, all the warnings and logos and shit at the bottom. OK, to be fair, it's just standard logos and warnings about random epilepsy attacks (this game better be that goddamn intense), but something in particular caught my attention:

No Caption Provided

This game better feature Naoto showing me some titty.

So what do I think of it?

Overall, pretty damn good. It does everything good box art is supposed to do: inform me of what the game's gonna be like while looking memorable and all sorts of cool, even if it does some really friggin' weird things at the same time. If you're looking for a number to attach to this, I have no clue what to give it, as I'm not exactly experienced in the way of writing about box art for so damn long. (I think I did this for Phantom Brave once, but that's about it.) However, if you really are looking for some type of math in this blog, I give this game 6 Yosukes. Interpret that as you will.

*Although if you want my opinion on the anime so far, here it is: it's good. Not as good as Durarara, but don't give that comment much weight, since it's literally the only other anime I've ever seen.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King
    No Caption Provided

(What the fuck is this shit?) Well, as I've said in the Persona 4 Animation thread, I recently bought Persona 4, mainly because you can't watch this and not want to get involved in that shit. Unfortunately, as I've also said there, it's gonna be a while until I play it, so what am I to do? Wait until such time that I can play it? Type up my reactions to the anime? No! Neither one!* Instead, I'm going to do something far less sane: review (or, rather, analyze the shit out of) the packaging! That's something people want to read about, right?.....Let's get this shit started:

The front

No Caption Provided

OK, so we have three sections to the front of the box: on the left, we have Kanji trying to phase his chin out of existence by looking toward the heavens, Rise looking off toward the spine, and Teddie trapped in a television. WHERE HE BELONGS. Next up is Yu, front and center, holding his glasses on his face because he doesn't know what the arms are supposed to do (I had to look that shit up). I can't tell if this is badass or just stupid, mainly because I'm too busy being completely scared of Izanagi wanting to get up in my shit. Now I can tell that that is badass. There's just no negotiating that. Finally, there's the right, featuring Yukiko defying the laws of reality by not appearing on the left in any form (look at how close she is), Yosuke trying to be sexy (just look at those full, sensuous lips), and Naoto looking in the opposite direction. I wonder why. Not much else to say, so I might as well divulge my actual opinion, for a change. I'd say it's pretty damn good. It's got a lot going on, but it's not like I'm gonna forget any one element. I mean, did you see how much I was able to write about those elements alone? Besides, it's hard not to like ax-crazy Izanagi. My only problem is how glossy the character models look. I don't know; it just looks strange and a tad overstylized. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the distinctive, flat art of the anime's intro theme song, but there's just something about these 3Dish models th-

HOLD ON, what the shit is this? The left and right sections look pretty similar, meaning all the non-Yu characters are probably in the exact same location. So what's going on? Did these high school kids bring a television to a nearby bus stop? Or did it happen to be there? And is Teddie trapped in the TV, or is he in the TV world? Is that how Shadow Teddie comes up later on? And now that it's supposed to be an actual event, how the fuck are Kanji and Naoto floating in mid-air? I can buy Rise standing, Chie sitting on the TV, and Yosuke leaning on the box itself, but how the shit are the other two defying gravity like that? And the strangest part is how everybody except Yu is driven off to the sides of the box. Does this mean that Yu has access to some alternate reality? I don't remember hearing anything about this. Is that false advertising, or does this exact scenario happen in the game? If I wasn't interested in the game before, why did I bother buying it in the first place I certainly am now that I've thought way too much about the box art. But wait, what's this shit on the bottom? "Includes bonus disc"? But I bought it second-hand, and ruined mine by tearing off all those stickers. Surely, there can't be such a bonus disc in the packaging.

Open it up, and...

...there's totally a bonus disc. (But not as an image on the site, I guess.) To be specific, it's a soundtrack to the game that thinks it's a cassette tape (why else would somebody write "Side A" on a COMPACT DISC!?). But that's not my problem with it. In fact, I really don't have any problems with it, as you could probably tell when I chose to open this blog with a song from the game itself. My problem's more with...myself, I guess? I don't own a CD player, and even if I did, I'm not the type of guy who would listen to a video game soundtrack when I'm out and about. If I want to listen to music from a game, I'll just go to YouTube and check out all the cool channels that post video game music (here, havesome). But still, gotta appreciate the thought. Ignoring the soundtrack (as I'm sure that's the only thing I'll do with it), we find the game directly underneath. Ignoring that (because doing otherwise would invalidate the premise), we find the...manual?

I got a manual with this thing? I bought it used, mind you. Can somebody remind me why we're supposed to hate used games? Wait, don't. I'm not in the mood. I'm too engaged in the manual as of writing this. Now can any of you remember a time when manuals were actually good? Of course you can't! It's 2012, and you'd be lucky if that game you bought in a Steam sale for $2 came with a manual. But remember, this game is from 2008, a time when manuals didn't suck, and boy, does it show. It has things like color and explanations of gameplay mechanics beyond "press this button to do this, you dumb shit". Of course, I'm not going to read any of that too much (I don't want to spoil too much of the game for myself), but there is something that caught my eye after scrolling through Tarot cards, monstrous spreadsheets and character portraits that are glossy as shit: explanations about Japanese culture and the like. You know, in case you (like me) don't know jack shit about Japanese culture. Hooray for attention to detail! Speaking of attention to detail, there is one thing I have yet to examine.

The back

No Caption Provided

The first three words I see on the back of the box: Tune In, Turn On, Drop DEAD... OK, first off, that's not a TV reference, that's a reference to drugs. Doing LSD. I don't think that's even present in Persona 4 (although the next few episodes could take some strange turns). Second, really? Do you guys realize how obsc-wait, what's that behind the words "Drop DEAD"? Are those Yu's eyes?....I know that I said that I love Atlus' attention to detail, but I don't want that attention to detail to stuff me into a garbage bag piece by piece.

Moving on from that, I notice that the rest of the box is dedicated to showing me what the game is like. Granted, Teddie's fat ass is blocking half the pictures, and the giant drinking straw jutting out the left certainly isn't helping, but the pictures that are there do a good enough job of telling me what the game is like. I'd make some vague guesses as to what it's like, but that would be ignoring the text. So instead, I'll make vague guesses based on the text. For example, that social link thing. Originally, I assumed that these were pretty much support conversations from Fire Emblem, and while I'm still right, apparently, there's more to it than that. There's also some TWEWY shit, and apparently, Atlus is expecting me to hate Persona 3, since otherwise, the word "enhanced" would make no goddamn sense. Of course, that's assuming anything about the box has made sense so far. Maybe the next part will? The Team Control part?....Actually, yea, it makes perfect sense. Again, it's assuming a lot about me (why exactly should I make my team Kanji, Chie, and Yosuke!?), but at least it's easier to buy "this game's like Dragon Quest IV" than it is to buy "this game's like Fire Emblem, only better than Persona 3". Finally, a CD is included. You know, Atlus, I'd be rightfully pissed if, for whatever reason, there wasn't a d-wait, they mean the soundtrack. Man, I look like a dumbass, especially since they included that helpful picture alongside it. You know, because I clearly haven't opened the box yet or anything. Wait, this game was probably shrink-wrapped at some point, meaning it probably did serve that exact purpose at some point. Might as well change that criticism into a compliment.

Finally, all the warnings and logos and shit at the bottom. OK, to be fair, it's just standard logos and warnings about random epilepsy attacks (this game better be that goddamn intense), but something in particular caught my attention:

No Caption Provided

This game better feature Naoto showing me some titty.

So what do I think of it?

Overall, pretty damn good. It does everything good box art is supposed to do: inform me of what the game's gonna be like while looking memorable and all sorts of cool, even if it does some really friggin' weird things at the same time. If you're looking for a number to attach to this, I have no clue what to give it, as I'm not exactly experienced in the way of writing about box art for so damn long. (I think I did this for Phantom Brave once, but that's about it.) However, if you really are looking for some type of math in this blog, I give this game 6 Yosukes. Interpret that as you will.

*Although if you want my opinion on the anime so far, here it is: it's good. Not as good as Durarara, but don't give that comment much weight, since it's literally the only other anime I've ever seen.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

They even fucked up the Timothy Leary line. It's Turn On first, then Tune In second. How would one tune in before turning on?

edit: Unless it's a reference to the Midnight Channel being on only when the TV's off. But if this is the case, Turn On doesn't ever apply.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MrKlorox:

Maybe it means "figure out which channel is the Midnight Channel before you turn on the TV"? Or are all channels the Midnight Channel?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I stopped reading as soon as you referred to Charlie by some name that isn't his name.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jimmi

uh...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MooseyMcMan said:

I stopped reading as soon as you referred to Charlie by some name that isn't his name.

His name is Yu, though. Not Charlie Tunoku; not Souji Seta; just Yu Narukami. The anime made it official or something. (Keep in mind that I've never watched the Endurance Run.)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Video_Game_King said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

His name is Yu, though. Not Charlie Tunoku; not Souji Seta; just Yu Narukami. The anime made it official or something. (Keep in mind that I've never watched the Endurance Run.)

THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TobbRobb

@MooseyMcMan: That is amazing, I love Chrono Trigger more now.

@Video_Game_King: How have you been on the site this long without either playing P4 or watching the ER? Fucking madness.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TobbRobb said:

How have you been on the site this long without either playing P4 or watching the ER? Fucking madness.

I haven't watched the Endurance Run specifically because I've never played Persona 4. I didn't want to spoil a game I'd end up playing. (The anime's different. Not much apparent gameplay there.)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

@Video_Game_King: I can understand you wanting to play the game first XD, the real question is why you haven't played it.

Btw, playing P3 first might be a good idea, I felt it was real hard to go back to after 4.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Video_Game_King said:

@TobbRobb said:

How have you been on the site this long without either playing P4 or watching the ER? Fucking madness.

I haven't watched the Endurance Run specifically because I've never played Persona 4. I didn't want to spoil a game I'd end up playing. (The anime's different. Not much apparent gameplay there.)

I would argue that it is an experience better first experienced with Jeff and Vinny providing the best commentary the world has ever seen (er, heard).

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TobbRobb said:

Btw, playing P3 first might be a good idea, I felt it was real hard to go back to after 4.

So Atlus really was banking on me thinking that the previous Persona was crap? That would make sense if they were doing it for Persona 1 (the only other one I've played), but I'm a bit confused on Persona 3, since I haven't played that, either.

@MooseyMcMan:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of playing the game?

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zithe

@Video_Game_King: Any reason you skipped Chie on the front cover?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TobbRobb

@Video_Game_King: Oh no, P3 is good. The mechanics are just very similar to 4, except not as refined.

The story and characters are entirely detached though, and some might say that they are better than P4. In the end it's all about taste. I say you should play it first just because the game will feel better without the comparison.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TobbRobb:

Then I shall not compare the two.

@Zithe:

Because there's not exactly a lot to say about her. She's got her ass firmly planted on Teddie's head and she has a thing for Izanagi's crazy mug.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Bocam

@Video_Game_King: It's just that Persona 3(The Shadows will kill us all) is really different in tone compared to Persona 4 (Happy Murder Funtime). P3P solves most of the game play problems

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Bocam:

But where does FES fit into all this? Is it what happens when P3 and P4 have a baby?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TobbRobb

@Video_Game_King: FES is a slight continuation of 3, with the original game and improvements on the disc. Really, there is 0 reason to own the original because of it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By AndrewB

So the game is actually called Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4: Contains Bonus Disc? I don't think there was a copy in America that didn't include that disc.

I wonder why Chie's legs get more real estate space than Rise's entire form?

@Video_Game_King said:

I give this game 6 Yosukes.

Oh come on, it's not that bad. At least give it a shot.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@AndrewB said:

It's a warning of things to come.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TobbRobb

@AndrewB said:

Chies legs are more important to me than the entirety of Rise. So it works out.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dagbiker

You are reading too much into this. Also who the hell is Yu. And the partial nudity is because of the personas. Also the ps2 is a cd player.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Dagbiker said:

You are reading too much into this.

I think that much was obvious when....well, when I started writing this.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    Yu

Who? Sorry, I think you must have your videogames confused.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By CaLe

I wish I had 20 minutes to stare at boxes.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By AndrewB

@TobbRobb said:

Chies legs are more important to me than the entirety of Rise. So it works out.

No argument from me.

@Video_Game_King said:

@AndrewB said:

It's a warning of things to come.

No Caption Provided

But I think the expression on Yosuke's face really means he can see up her skirt.

And guys, I love the Endurance Run as much as the next guy, but it's totally Yu until they do the English translation and officially change it to Charlie.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@AndrewB said:

And guys, I love the Endurance Run as much as the next guy, but it's totally Yu until they do the English translation and officially change it to Charlie.

This. The Charlie Tunoku meme has gotten old and no one outside of Giant Bomb even calls the character that.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King: Enhanced social links just means social links with party characters now have some combat benefits (which they didn't in 3 because not all party characters were s-links in 3), otherwise everything is the same.

And I say play 4 first then 3 FES second. 3 is harder and doesn't hold your hand or explain a whole lot early on, whereas that's one of the things they added 4, hand holding to help bring new players in more easily. It helped that I'd played 4 first and understood the basics, then figured out the quirks that 3 has, as there are slight tweaks to the various elements around the combat (not so much the actual fighting itself really, but more how "drops" work or the tactics for best exploring a dungeon, stuff like that).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@pyromagnestir said:

@Video_Game_King: Enhanced social links just means social links with party characters now have some combat benefits (which they didn't in 3 because not all party characters where s-links in 3), otherwise everything is the same.

And I say play 4 first then 3 FES second. 3 is harder and doesn't hold your hand or explain a whole lot early on, whereas that's one of the things they added 4, hand holding to help bring new players in more easily. It helped that I'd played 4 first and understood the basics, then figured out the quirks that 3 has, as there are slight tweaks to the various elements around the combat (not so much the actual fighting itself really, but more how "drops" work or the tactics for best exploring a dungeon, stuff like that).

I wouldn't say that P4 held the player's hand any more than P3. It is easier, but that's largely due to the fact that a number of mechanical improvements were made between the games. The full party can be under direct player control (which wasn't possible in P3 until P3P), random dungeon events like party splits don't occur, the characters don't ever get fatigued or sick, there is no limit to the amount of time the player can spend on any particular floor, the events on the calendar are spaced in such a way that it makes it easier to accomplish more of the social tasks, and because the player can leave the dungeons at any time so long as they have a Goho-M in stock.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

@AndrewB said:

This. The Charlie Tunoku meme has gotten old and no one outside of Giant Bomb even calls the character that.

You mean it was a meme? I kinda knew that already, but I was still confused as to whether people were being facetious or genuine.

AndrewB said:

No Caption Provided

But I think the expression on Yosuke's face really means he can see up her skirt.

And he's horrified? I thought he liked seeing Chie's panties. Remember that bikini camp scene?

(These are really the only two posts I can read, since I haven't played any of the Persona games you guys are talking about.)

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Hailinel: In P3 they kinda just dump you in front of the dungeon and say go explore, not really explaining much about it other than to give you a basic combat tutorial. They don't explain the clock counting down to the next full moon, they don't tell you how the exits work (that only ones on a midboss floor allow you to travel back to them)

In P4 they are constantly saying "Rainy days coming up you should prepare!" or "This is the last day to blah blah blah..." so they give you more direction, at least, plus all the stuff you mention makes it easier to get into.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel

@pyromagnestir said:

@Hailinel: In P3 they kinda just dump you in front of the dungeon and say go explore, not really explaining much about it other than to give you a basic combat tutorial. They don't explain the clock counting down to the next full moon, they don't tell you how the exits work (that only ones on a midboss floor allow you to travel back to them)

In P4 they are constantly saying "Rainy days coming up you should prepare!" or "This is the last day to blah blah blah..." so they give you more direction, at least, plus all the stuff you mention makes it easier to get into.

Well, they don't explain how the full moons are relevant at first because that piece of knowledge isn't understood by any of the characters until a point later in the story. And while P4 may provide some more guidance in the combat basics during the Shadow Yosuke battle, the first real dungeon is one of the most difficult simply because you're limited to three party members, inferior Personas, low levels, and a boss fight waiting to surprise you with fiery death. The only reason that Jeff and Vinny survived that fight on their first go at it was because they paid attention to comments stating very clearly that their doom was behind that door unless they did some leveling and fusing. Without that sort of information, it's not clear how difficult that fight is because the first two major Shadow bosses in the game aren't nearly that hard.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

@AndrewB said:

You mean it was a meme? I kinda knew that already, but I was still confused as to whether people were being facetious or genuine.

It's a meme in the sense that it spread among GB users only familiar with the game through the Endurance Run; not like the more widespread internet memes.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By yoshimitz707

The only problem I had with P3 was that I didn't want to play the dungeon parts at some point so I ended up fighting like 3 bosses in a row at way too low levels. Not very fun.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By yoshimitz707

@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

@AndrewB said:

It's a meme in the sense that it spread among GB users only familiar with the game through the Endurance Run; not like the more widespread internet memes.

It's not a meme! It's his fucking name!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King

@yoshimitz707 said:

It's not a meme! It's his fucking name!

Except for:

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Hizang

Where was the Partial Nudity? I don't remember any.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hizang said:

Where was the Partial Nudity? I don't remember any.

So no Naoto titty, or Naotitty?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Hizang: Persona's got butts and boobs and stuff. Hell one was just a giant... Eh maybe that's best left unspoiled.

@Video_Game_King: Why is that "name" any more official than Charlie fuckin Tunoku? Although his real name is Kid Kameleon, but I'm the only one who knows that. And I didn't bang Naoto, though I tried, so maybe Naotitty.

@Hailinel: The early parts of both games is the most difficult, I just think P4 does a better job indicating what you should be doing early on. My guess is that was the designer's goal, in fact.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By mutha3
    @Video_Game_King said:

My only problem is how glossy the character models look. I don't know; it just looks strange and a tad overstylized. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the distinctive, flat art of the anime's intro theme song, but there's just something about these 3Dish models th-

Yeah, the boxart has that weird effect because those are 3dCG models and not hand-drawn. It looks pretty shitty, I agree. Thankfully, all ingame stuff is hand-drawn. (and it wipes the floor with the P4 anime, quality wise!)

Catherine uses 3dcg models as well for most of its official art, but it looks a lot better....Probably because Catherine has way better looking 3D models than P4.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King

@mutha3:

Wait, they're CG models? They look like they're hand-drawn to look like CG models. Again, it looks really weird and I prefer the anime stuff over that.

@pyromagnestir said:

Why is that "name" any more official than Charlie fuckin Tunoku?

Because it's canon?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hailinel

@pyromagnestir said:

@Hizang: Persona's got butts and boobs and stuff. Hell one was just a giant... Eh maybe that's best left unspoiled.

@Video_Game_King: Why is that "name" any more official than Charlie fuckin Tunoku? Although his real name is Kid Kameleon, but I'm the only one who knows that. And I didn't bang Naoto, though I tried, so maybe Naotitty.

@Hailinel: The early parts of both games is the most difficult, I just think P4 does a better job indicating what you should be doing early on. My guess is that was the designer's goal, in fact.

The character is named Yu Narukami in Persona 4 Arena.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King: Canon huh? Just because the people who "made the game" gave "their character" a "name" does that make it "official" "?" What makes them so special?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir:

OK, now you're just fucking with me.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King: I'm not trying to fuck with you I'm just having a little fun with the idea of an official name for a fictional character. Seems silly to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hailinel

@pyromagnestir said:

@Video_Game_King: I'm not trying to fuck with you I'm just having a little fun with the idea of an official name for a fictional character. Seems silly to me.

Because it's their character. Atlus created him, thus they are free to give him an official name if so desired.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By mutha3
    @Video_Game_King said:

@mutha3:

Wait, they're CG models? They look like they're hand-drawn to look like CG models.

Nah, you've got it reversed.

Here's how the handrawn stuff looks in P4:

No Caption Provided
    The director even jokingly commented that hand-drawn art of Catherine was super rare, because almost all promotional artwork is 3Dcg and there weren't portraits in-game like P4.
    pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Hailinel: No I get that, and that's perfectly true. I'm just amusing myself I guess. I'll stop now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.