Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 26, 2017

An enhanced port of the original Nintendo DS game developed as part of SMT's 25th anniversary.

Strange Journey Redux

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This came out in the US the other day, surprised to see no one talking about it. The game is just as good as I remember, just finished the first area last night.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

Yeah, beside some reviewers on YouTube I haven't seen too many people talking about this one. I played a good chunk of the original DS game but never finished it, although I think I was on the last dungeon. I really liked the game and have been meaning to go back and finish it but now I'm wondering if I should just play this new port. Glad to hear you are liking it but are there any new additions to the 3DS version that make it significantly better than the old game?

Rabidlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really got into the original release and wouldn't mind playing it again but really don't want to buy a new 3ds game. If this was for switch I would check it out

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Well, between being a not-Persona SMT game and coming out on the 3DS instead of Switch, I'd be surprised if anyone was talking about it at all. This is about as niche as you can get these days when it comes to games from Japan.

It's a great damn game, don't get me wrong. Just is what is it.

edit: -_-

Avatar image for tigerface_killah
    Tigerface_Killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I really liked this game on the ds, although I never got too far. They seriously should have released this on switch.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils
    @babychoochoo said:

This is about as niche as you can get these days when it comes to games from Japan.

Any SMT game released on any system will be far more mainstream then say some random visual novel released for the Vita. I agree that most mainstream sites may not cover this game because it is on the 3DS but there are far more nichey Japanese titles being released than Strange Journey of all things.

Edit: Sorry if I came off as a jerky know-it-all...

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking about picking it up again, but from what I've read the extra content is kind of tacked on and unnecessary. It has kind of given me the jones to play the original again though. It's a really good, balls hard dungeon crawler.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I would love to play this and that Radiant Historia remake on my Switch. I'd pay full price for each, actually, even though I own the DS versions.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Bought it as I really liked what I played of the original but didn't get too far, don't think I have time to devote to it right now though.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karmosin

It's good so far, not much is different from the original. Still a great dungeoncrawler with a fantastic setting and atmosphere. While I prefer Kanekos illustrations, the different expressions on the portraits are nice, and the fact that there's a portrait for every minor character is also nice.

Haven't gotten into any of the new story-content yet. Playing on expert, but don't think it feels that different from the original, so wondering if they maybe made the original difficulty into expert, since the original were pretty challenging in itself. Could also be that I'm much more well-versed in the Megaten-formula by now.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Vanek

I picked it up having never played the original and I'm not sure if I like it or not. The beginning really dragged for me and while I like some of the ideas the characters so far seem quite dull.

I'm only 3 hours in but I struggle to play for longer than an hour without getting a bit bored. I definitely found Soul Hackers and Persona Q more engaging than this, but I'm holding out hope that'll change if I give it a few more hours.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would buy it on the Switch in a heartbeat. I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LeStephan

I think its kind of a bummer this is yet another 3ds game without any 3d support at all :( I also remember having a harder time with the original despite playing on expert now.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

As a European, it is litterally the only version I can play. I miss Kaneko’s artdesign, looking past all the tutorial, it is still a solid SMT title. Definitely better than IV.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dislike of Nocturne made me judge this perhaps a little harshly at the time, maybe I'll revisit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.