Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 08, 2009

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey for the Nintendo DS is an entry in the primary Shin Megami Tensei canon. It centers around the exploration of a demonic dimension known as the Schwarzwelt.

Anyone still playing?

El33tPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By El33tPanda

I was just wondering if any fellow Giant Bombers were still playing this game. It is rather lengthy, if not grindy at the end. I managed to get through it a few months ago but I was wondering if anyone was just starting or half way done.

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By kuwabaratheman

I just started playing a couple of weeks ago. Definitely enjoying everything about it so far; I've already spent 35 hours in it. I really enjoy exploring the dungeons and doing all of the EX Missions.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ATrevelan

I actually have yet to begin. I'm nearing the end of my 2nd time through Persona 4 and I'm still working through Devil Survivor. I found Strange Journey at a killer price so I picked it up even though I wouldn't get to it for some time. 

Is it as grindy as Etrian Odyssey?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By metalsnakezero

Been jumping from this game to another JRPG but I'm still keeping at it.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MancombSeepgood

I intend to get it and start it soon, but I dunno if I'll like it or not.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SpiralStairs

I need to finish it. Ouroboros is a bitch.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ATrevelan

I picked it up a few weeks ago for a nice price. Since I'm busy with grad school and stuff I'm only about 3 hours in, but I'm absolutely loving it. Playing it on the bus gets some weird looks, I have to say. Even for folks who know nothing about games, it must look really strange.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By eirikr
    @SpiralStairs:   I made special, alignment-specific demon teams for the specific purpose of Ouroboros-busting. Should you get a bit frustrated, or just want one or two of them, they should be worth experimenting with.  

I don't remember it being that hard when I first played it in the Japanese version as I just steamrolled the thing, but Ouroboros was quite a roadblock when I played it again in the American release. It's definitely the hardest boss in the game up until the final.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Eirikr: Cool, I'm going for the chaos ending right now, so I might try it out. I want to at least try to beat it by myself first though.
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By fugie7

i did use to play it but i stop after i got dragon quest

x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By x_XJules

I'm surprised someone finished that game. I bought it, played about 10 hours, and then openly weeped for how shitty it was, js.  

Congrats to all who stuck with it. Was it worth it?

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @x_XJules: Had you played any of the previous SMT games? Anyone who's a fan of the series would obviously enjoy it more, considering it's just as grindy and addictive as the previous games in the series. The only negative thing about the game IMO is that the story isn't as good as Nocturne or Persona 3.
    x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By x_XJules
    @SpiralStairs: Yea, I really love SMT games. I thought the graphics, the controls, and the story weren't that great in Strange Journey. Walking through dungeons and what-not seemed like old-school doom games and was more annoying than nostalgic. The menu could have been better too, imo. It wasn't visually appealing and seemed kind of awkward to navigate through. I played Devil Survivor right before Strange Journey came out and maybe the awesomeness of that game skewed my view on Strange Journey. Devil Survivor is a tough game to follow, lol. 
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @x_XJules: I admit, I feel like Strange Journey was a step back for Atlus. I wish they had done it on the PS2 instead of the DS. 

Also, Devil Survivor is much easier to get into than SJ. I don't know which I like better, they're both good games.
    Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I just started this game, well I'm 10 hours in. The game definitely feels like a step back from Nocturne or the Digital Devil Saga games, I think it's still cool.

You definitely have to be the kind of person that enjoys dungeon crawlers to play this one, but the demon designs and the general personality of the game really carry it for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.