Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 08, 2009

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey for the Nintendo DS is an entry in the primary Shin Megami Tensei canon. It centers around the exploration of a demonic dimension known as the Schwarzwelt.

NEW (gameplay!) SMT: Strange Journey trailer!

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By eirikr

This is the real deal: 

Oh my, I seem to have soiled my undergarments.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By jakob187

Another Shin Megami Tensei game.  Atlus is getting too predictable.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

hummmm... interesting :)

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By eirikr
    @jakob187: This is the first "real" SMT game since Nocturne 5-6 years ago (depending on your region). 

Not to say that wasn't a predictable inevitability!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
    @Eirikr said:
    " @jakob187: This is the first "real" SMT game since Nocturne 5-6 years ago (depending on your region).   Not to say that wasn't a predictable inevitability! "
    Still, about the only games that Atlus seem to release anymore start with Shin Megami Tensei.
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By Forcen

Looks like Dead Space crossed with SMT.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eirikr
    @jakob187: Same reason the early SaGa games were branded "Final Fantasy Legend." 

Though if we ever get something like Shin Megami Tensei: Demon's Souls, then we've got a problem.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Stang

I love me some SMT, but the dungeon crawling perspective sends shivers down my spine. As an offshoot, it would be ok.....but as a successor to Nocturne....booo!

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eirikr
    @Stang: It is an offshoot. This is not Shin Megami Tensei IV. More like how the first Devil Summoner game was called Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner. But why does that make a difference, anyway?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang

Oh, for some reason I thought it was a true sequel in the main franchise. And it matters to me because Nocturne is one of my favorite games of all time. I have ginormous expectations for the next entry....which does not involve first person crawling/battle. I want to see my ugly demons kicking ass.

Obviously my opinion in null and void because this is not a true entry in the main franchise. Excuse my stupidity.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

This game just keeps looking better all the time.  I hope Atlus announces a North American release for it soon.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eirikr
    @Stang: No no no, I'm totally with you on your Nocturne sentiments.

We all want to see a proper console SMT game. It'll come. This will be plenty of fun in the meanwhile.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Eirikr said:
    " @jakob187: This is the first "real" SMT game since Nocturne 5-6 years ago (depending on your region).   Not to say that wasn't a predictable inevitability! "
    Still, about the only games that Atlus seem to release anymore start with Shin Megami Tensei. "
    In Japan, Shin Megami Tensei is a specific series of games within the larger Megami Tensei franchise.  Atlus USA just tries to simplify this identification by branding all Megami Tensei games as SMT titles, like the Persona series and Devil Survivor, while other games started off as spin-offs of the SMT series itself.

The relational history between all of the games can get pretty confusing.

And have you completely forgotten about the Trauma Center series?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stang
    @Eirikr: Devil Survivor got it right, so I expect this to be good as well. Just the thought of a next gen proper SMT entry makes me drool. Don't bother with another Persona, get back to the roots! 

I just could not accept this as a true SMT game. I guess that makes me a fanboy....Jesus now I have to leap off my 12 foot high balcony :(
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Symphony
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Eirikr said:
    Still, about the only games that Atlus seem to release anymore start with Shin Megami Tensei. "
    Um no.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By pause422
    @jakob187 said:
    " Another Shin Megami Tensei game.  Atlus is getting too predictable. "
    Its been a long long time since they released the last SMT game. No, btw, all the persona and all that, are not SMT games..they are labeled SMT for atlus USA I believe and no other reason. There have only been 3 SMT games so far.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

oooo, animated sprites, purdy.

Can't wait to get my hands on this, any word on an official US/EU release or are the fans going to have to translate this themselves?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
    @WitchHunter_Z: No western release date has been announced yet, but given that the game isn't even out in Japan yet, I'd say it'll still be a bit before Atlus USA has anything to announce.
    jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jj984jj
    @jakob187 said:

" @Eirikr said:

Anymore? When do they not have MegaTen titles in the works? It's their main focus, just as it always has been. 

@Eirikr said:

" @Stang: It is an offshoot. This is not Shin Megami Tensei IV. More like how the first Devil Summoner game was called Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner. But why does that make a difference, anyway? "

What are you talking about? This is the next main entry, Kaneko said so him-self. It doesn't have a number because it's not set in Tokyo, which he did so that everyone could enjoy the story in the same way. You were right in the first reply you made in this thread, this is the first real SMT since Nocturne 5 years ago, Atlus describes it that way too.

@Stang said:
    " I love me some SMT, but the dungeon crawling perspective sends shivers down my spine. As an offshoot, it would be ok.....but as a successor to Nocturne....booo! "

" Oh, for some reason I thought it was a true sequel in the main franchise. And it matters to me because Nocturne is one of my favorite games of all time. I have ginormous expectations for the next entry....which does not involve first person crawling/battle. I want to see my ugly demons kicking ass.  Obviously my opinion in null and void because this is not a true entry in the main franchise. Excuse my stupidity. "

" @Eirikr: Devil Survivor got it right, so I expect this to be good as well. Just the thought of a next gen proper SMT entry makes me drool. Don't bother with another Persona, get back to the roots!   I just could not accept this as a true SMT game. I guess that makes me a fanboy....Jesus now I have to leap off my 12 foot high balcony :( "

Well your opinion isn't not null and void, but this is how the first main entries were done. Nocturne even had a mode that let you play in first person outside of battle. While I'd love Hashino's team to make a console SMT instead of Persona 5, the first-person perspective doesn't really make this less of a main entry. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.