Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei

Franchise »

A long running series of JRPGs published by Atlus, almost all featuring unrelated stories and characters, but sharing common themes, chief among them being interaction with demons through fighting, diplomacy, control, and cooperation.

Favorite Shin Megami Game?

• 65 results
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By beforet

Persona 4, but I have only played that and P3 (which I also love) to completion. I have dabbled in Devil Survivor, which I can not complete until I get my own 3DS, and I intend on playing Nocturne, which I am somewhat frightened of.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By mutha3
    @Otogi said:
    " @LordAndrew said:
    " Oh! I just noticed the thread title says "Shin Megami", which means "true goddess"... or to look at it another way, it means nothing. There has never been such a thing as Shin Megami! "
    Not even that, really. Since the original Megami Tensei, as far as I know, and there was at least one other game in between MT and SMT. I'm not even sure what the hell that title means anymore. As for the thread, though, Persona 4, hands down. "
    You must be thinking of"Megami Ibunroku"(i don't care how its spelled) it translates roughly to "goddess sidestory" and Persona 1 and  the first non-raidou Devil Summoner carried that title. They were dropped by the time they reached Persona 3 and Raidou 1, though.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By penguindust

Persona 3 easily.  I liked P4 a lot but not as much as P3.  I liked the characters and story of the earlier one more.  

thanous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

persona 4 golden is first place by a ton

but the very original, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei is second place, more likely one of it's many remakes but still it in some form (played it a while ago, don't remember on which system)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

thanous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

@thanous: Most franchise pages have less than one page of threads. That doesn't mean they're current.

Also, the thread still has all the same flaws I pointed out three years ago.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Mine is also Persona 4, although I did enjoy Soul Hackers and SMT4 on the 3DS as well.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga. I love the dark atmosphere of those games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Nocturne, of course. Fantastic game all around.

Persona 4 Golden follows it pretty closely. I like Persona 3 a whole lot and I used to consider it better than Persona 4 at least in part because they don't repeat dialog anywhere near as much (let me remind you, in painfully long fashion, of this thing that we just told you two minutes ago!) I still think it has a better story but overall, I'll take P4 over P3.

I didn't actually like SMTIV all that much at first but I've been warming up to it more and more. Not on the same level as the above mentioned game, but mechanically it's pretty great. Usually.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By crithon

I have a soft spot for Digital Devil Saga, but Persona 3 and 4 totally.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Zeik

If we're just talking true SMT games then probably SMT4. I didn't fall in love with it as much as I originally thought I might, but overall I think it's a more solid game than Nocturne. At the very least SMT4's flaws are preferably to Nocturne's. I'd love to see a proper remake of SMT1 and 2 some day. Those games have some great ideas, but the SNES versions are way to dated to hold up to modern MegaTen games.

If we're talking the entirety of the MegaTen franchise then P4 still beats that out pretty handily.

Digital Devil Saga might also be up there, but I've never quite settled on how I feel about that series. I remember loving DDS1 and then being extremely disappointed with the conclusion of DDS2. (The way other people feel about Mass Effect 3's ending is almost how I felt about DDS2's.) I really should replay that game and see if I feel any differently.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil Survivor 1, the first one I ever finished, technically it brought me into the franchise.

FatDragonQuest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if I'd say the best but Devil Survivor 2 has a special place in my heart for being the first one I've ever beaten, and felt like a good blend of SMT's apocalyptic story and persona/fire emblem's support feature that not only unlocks new demons, but also can affect their fate.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite is Persona 3. But the great pity of that game is that while the PSP version made a lot of neat adjustments (like allowing you to directly control all party members, more robust options for persona customization through "cards," not to mention the option to play a female protagonist, etc.), it also ditched all the non-dungeon 3d environments... which to me at least was a really important element that helped the game feel more real. As a result, I feel torn between the PSP and PS2 "FES" versions, neither of which has everything I want. That's why I really hope that someday Atlus might release a remastered version of Persona 3 (perhaps bundled together with a remastered Persona 4?) on modern hardware that keeps most of the changes from Persona 3 Portable but restores the full 3D world from the original. Not sure how likely that is, but man, I would be all over that.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMTIV – I love the blend of 3D and sprite graphics, the world building, and it has one of the best overall soundtracks I've heard in a video game. I think it used the 3DS hardware amazingly well.

gornogorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By gornogorno

Wow! this thread is 9 years old.

I wonder if OP is still reading it?

Also Devil Survivor

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.