Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shining Resonance

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 11, 2014

An action RPG entry in Sega's long-running Shining series.

Anyone play this game yet?

isawachuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

I have the opportunity to grab the game from a seller for the equivalent of $20 US and I want to know if it is worth it or not. I love the Shining Force series, but I have heard very little about this game, granted, it has only been out for a little over 3 weeks.

Thanks!

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

I did some reporting on this game in the lead up to its release (I work as a translator for Gematsu) and from what I saw, I would generally recommend against picking up the game just from a language barrier perspective alone, unless, of course, that's no problem. Combat might be real time, but it looks like it has fairly dense menus to decipher and narrative progression seemed at least partially dependent on being able to read the dialog. Could be wrong and I'm sure there are FAQs that are being written to address those points, but still.

That being said, I did some digging around in Japanese user reviews since you can't really trust most mainstream publications and the reception is pretty divided. From what I gather, the combat mechanics are pretty solidly developed, but the game seemingly ends a bit suddenly and is apparently somewhat rife with mobile-style DLC hooks (pay $1 to restart a battle rather than go back to the title screen!). It doesn't otherwise sound like an inherently broken game or anything —the DLC issues wig me out, but I'm still interested in playing it— so, even if it's problematic, $20 could be a solid deal, especially for a new Japanese release.

Hope this helps a little! If you want me to dig around a little more for anything specific, I can try. :)

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder if it's anything like the "Diablo-style" Shining Force games (like Shining Force Exa). Those games were alright.

But still,

@pepsiman said:
    From what I gather, the combat mechanics are pretty solidly developed, but the game seemingly ends a bit suddenly and is apparently somewhat rife with mobile-style DLC hooks (pay $1 to restart a battle rather than go back to the title screen!)

That is kinda jacked.

isawachuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@pepsiman: Cool thanks for the info! My Japanese is decent, so I'll be ok for the most part I think. I just put the order through so I'll see how it goes. The game looks interesting to me and I need something while I wait for Tales of Zestiria in a few weeks. I'll just avoid the goofy DLC stuff...I don't like that at all, but I won't let it stop me from playing the game.

Thank you again!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5 BisonHero  Online

Man, remember how Fire Emblem: Awakening has DLC that is totally reasonable? C'mon, Japan, you can do better than this. There is a way to add inoffensive DLC to a tactics game, and it's pretty much "add more missions or characters or something".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.