Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shovel Knight

Game » consists of 36 releases. Released Jun 26, 2014

An action-platformer paying homage to 8-bit classics like Mega Man and Castlevania. It is developed by a small group of former WayForward employees, with funding through Kickstarter.

What did you think of the ending of Shovel Knight?

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ultimately I like the ending. For a second there, I thought they were going to double down on the Shield Knight sacrificing herself to save Shovel Knight. I'm glad they didn't. I just don't think there was enough character development or back story about Shovel Knight's and Shield Knight's relationship to make that kind of ending meaningful. Plus the whole game is about trying to rescue Shield Knight, if she died in the end it would have left everything pretty much exactly where it was at the beginning of the game with Shovel Knight grieving over Shield Knight. Plus with the general sort of humorous tone of the game the sad ending doesn't seem to fit with me, I think it would have left me feeling unsatisfied.

What do you think should they have left the fate of Shield Knight unknown?

Also, did I miss something about the back story of Black Knight and Shield Knight? Or was I just supposed to fill in the blanks myself on how they knew each other?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It leaves the door open for a Co-Op focused sequel.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I liked it. They left this game with a satisfactory ending while also leaving it open for potential follow ups. My kind of ending.

To be honest, I didn't think this game would have much of a story at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I like it. The happy ending fits the nostalgia better. The last level was kind of lame though, and the first form of the final boss.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@tophar01 said:

Also, did I miss something about the back story of Black Knight and Shield Knight? Or was I just supposed to fill in the blanks myself on how they knew each other?

That confused me too. The final Black Knight fight made it seem like he was trying to protect The Enchantress, who eventually turns out to just be Shield Knight, but initially it seemed like it was a different character which would have been far more interesting - BK trying to protect the one he loves even if she was evil and he knew it. A kind of moral quandary. In the end I guess they are just both really fond of Shield Knight? Maybe BK and Shield Knight are relatives, otherwise there is no explanation of why BK isn't extremely jealous of the obvious relationship between Shovel Knight and Shield Knight. Or its just a love triangle. HECK I DON'T KNOW

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

It leaves the door open for a Co-Op focused sequel.

Oh man! I didn't think of that a Co-op Shovel Knight with Shield Knight would be awesome

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Games are magic.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I smiled.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it dude! Mark this shit as containing spoilers! I just bought this yesterday and was going to start it tomorrow. No point now.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it dude! Mark this shit as containing spoilers! I just bought this yesterday and was going to start it tomorrow. No point now.

You're joking right? The title of the thread is "What do you think of the ending of Shovel Knight?" I think that's pretty clear this is going to be about.. then ending of Shovel Knight.. sooo yea...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed it. But I thought the last boss was a bit dull. Especially after going through the gauntlet of all the other great bosses.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tophar01: @tophar01: I think he's joking, no one would buy shovel knight exclusively for the story.

migrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The ending to Shovel Knight is definitely one of the all time best video game endings I've ever played and left me crying. Not being sarcastic here at all.

The scene where Shovel Knight saves his comrades and it shows them all in their own little worlds doing all sorts of cool stuff was FUCKING incredible. Like the music medley was blowing my fucking mind. As a musician, some of the stuff going on in that last ending song is totally nuts. Like I haven't heard that ridiculously detailed and crazy in depth type of music since Starbound by Shnabubula. Especially near the end of the song when the musical theme from the first level / the camping sequence is revisited, I found it very emotional and incredibly satisfying. And then the Shield Girl payoff. Come on guys!

Of course some of the later levels were quite difficult for me, but I got through them. I was getting kind of tired of the game by the time I beat it. But the ending was like this intense musical emotional experience that maybe the most charming thing I've ever seen and American developer create!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.