Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Jun 13, 2008

The long-running Civilization series of strategy games makes a brief (yet smooth) transition to both video game consoles and handheld devices with Civilization Revolution.

Is The Price Worth The Value?

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PhilESkyline

The game looks good, but I've heard that it's rather short for single player and online play. For those who have played it and may or may not be a fan of the series, is it worth the $60 price tag?

Edit: The title should be "Is The Value Worth The Price"

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KindGalaxy

No, it is a fun game, I'm enjoying it, but it's not worth a full retail price, especially if you have played the Civilization games on PC. It is enjoyable, multiplayer is fun; although sometimes long for some people since games can take 2-3 hours, there are weekly leaderboards as well, but it is very limited in scope compared to the PC versions of Civilization, wait for it to come down a bit.

Satsugai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By Satsugai

Well, you can finish a round of it in a couple hours instead of a couple days a la the pc versions.  The maps are pretty small too. It's a really streamlined Civ game, fun but in some dire need of any real diplomacy options. I don't regret buying it in the least though.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Termite

I haven't played it, but I do hear it is good. Some have said not as good as PC Civ though, which doesn't surprise me in the least

jonabbey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jonabbey

No hesitation at all about having bought it at full price here.  It's no Civ4 in complexity or strategy, but it *is* Civ, and that means no matter what, my wife and I can dive in for a game or two and have a good time.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jigen

I really miss the ability to play on bigger maps and diplomacy options, but I also prefer some of the new features like groups of 3 units in armies and the less BS'ing combat.  I don't like the presentation as much as Civ IV, that one had a lot of class with Nimoy and the graphical parts of the interface and how the grunts of each nationality spoke in the native language of that region.

JoshMcC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By JoshMcC

The size of the map is a huge disappointment. As soon as you can get a boat of some sort that can move 3-4 times per turn, you can tour the world in half a dozen turns. I thought it was amusing, but the longer I played - the more it seemed just a pale version of other Civ games. If you play the Demo on Xbox Live - you've pretty much played the game.

I'm glad they've created Strategy games for the 360, and I hope this is the beginning of a solid trend, but I'm glad I rented this one for a week rather than plunk down $60 for it.

kyrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kyrom

Thanks for the info guys.  Ive never played a civ game before and the PC versions seem way more complicated than revolution.  I played the demo and enjoyed it but I just dont think it is worth $60.  I will probably pick this one up at $40

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Zaxex
    kyrom said:
    "Thanks for the info guys.  Ive never played a civ game before and the PC versions seem way more complicated than revolution.  I played the demo and enjoyed it but I just dont think it is worth $60.  I will probably pick this one up at $40
    "
    Great for a first civ game to whet your apetite, especially if you, like myself, are more of a console gamer.
    kyrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kyrom
    Zaxex said:
    "kyrom said:
    "Thanks for the info guys.  Ive never played a civ game before and the PC versions seem way more complicated than revolution.  I played the demo and enjoyed it but I just dont think it is worth $60.  I will probably pick this one up at $40
    "
    Great for a first civ game to whet your apetite, especially if you, like myself, are more of a console gamer.
    "
    good to know and thanks for the info man.  Which version are you playing?

KingHippp0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By KingHippp0

I don't think it's a 60 dollar game, especially since I paid 40 dollars for Civ 4, which is a much more robust game. The graphics aren't significantly improved.... it kind of looks like a XBLA/PSN game at times. 

I got it from the Gamefly, so the price didn't bother me. 
    Kevling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kevling
    OakaXXV said:
    "Hmm, that's a very tricky question, i managed to get it for about half price and its definitely worth that. There is definitely a lot to do if you enjoy it, so it probably is worth full price. I advise you try the demo and if you enjoy that then it'll probably be a good purchase.
    "
    Definitely. I played the demo to death for about a week - it hooked my from the first game. Here in the UK we're used to games costing more - I paid just under £35 for it ($70?), which may sound a lot, but most new releases are £40 - £45. Despite that, definitely getting our money's worth - my wife in particular is on it almost every day. Looking forward to the 1.20 PS3 patch which fixes the online matchmaking that they broke in 1.10!
    HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By HoldSteady828

It is a great title to have in your library, but I don't know if I got my 60 dollars worth.  There just seems to be a lot of the same- that stuff that is there is great, but there isnt enough variety of mission types, cpu difficulty, match customization, or map layout.

Kayaknutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kayaknutt

I dont think so, you should go for Civ 4 for the computer, and wait for the price to drop for this one.

badlands27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By badlands27

Absolutely worth the price in my opinion, but Civ Rev is actually my first attempt playing a Civilization game.

I will certainly be getting 'Civilization IV: Complete' for the PC because of this game, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.