Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Civilize this!

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

Hello fellow Giant Bombers. To cut things short, I purchased Civilization V last Thursday and I have played for 10 + hours straight a few times, over slept and was late for work, and have been thinking about my "battle plan" on what to do next when I am away from them game. Good thing showing up late at my work isn't as serious as an average job or else I'd be boned. I was planning on making Civ V my first review here on giant bomb and thought I could have dished out a review by now, but I feel like I haven't even come close to scratching the surface of this game. So because of this, this is going to be a little  "hands on" type of article about my experience thus far with the game that is: Civilization V.  

To start off, I will list my Pros.  
    - Many Civilizations to choose from.  
    When started my very first game of Civ V, I got the civ selection part and my jaw dropped. There were tons of civs to choose from, each with their own abilities, and special units. I counted a total of 18, but if you got the deluxe version it comes with another one. Some seem over powered and some seem under powered, but i guess that determines your play style. 

- graphics are really great 
    Looks very polished and the art style defiantly makes it look like a Civilization game.  

-Wide variety of game options 
      You can change everything from the landscape you play on to how many turns it takes to research things.  

-Built in Mod support 
    You can download mods without ever exiting the game. This is great for the casual base and those new to pc games because it takes away the need to search around websites to find mods and the need to actually put the mod files where they belong in the game files.  

- A lot of Strategic depth 
    One of the most things I really enjoy about this game is that it has a lot of depth from determining which area is more viable to place your city to make it a good asset, or planning out the perfect move order to make your civ, well, civilized faster than the others. It has enough strategic depth to satisfy a hard core Strategy gamer, but also is doesn't show it to turn off people who can't take it all in at one time.  

I like more than just these things about Civ V, but these stood out more.  

CONS 
    -Multiplayer 
    I played a multiplayer match with one of my friends for a couple hours a few nights ago and I really didn't like it. A lot of the animations are stripped like when your units move from tile to tile. the interaction with other Civs lacks the screen where you actually see them in front of you thus removing the feel that your actually talking to them. 
    Overall, it just seems like the multiplayer is stripped and doesn't feel as well done as the single player . 

-Controls are a little finicky. 
    I have had issues here and there when I try to attack with air planes where they don't attack and I have to keep clicking them over and over again. It seems like I'm not clicking the enemy in the right spot.  

-Camera is irritating once in a while. 
    I have been getting frustrated with the camera when it automatically goes to the next unit you haven't given orders to yet.   
    -Dialog 
    Conversations between you and other civs aren't the best. It lacks depth and the AI seem not understand whats going on occasionally. 

-Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to build a space ship.  
    I had all the pieces built and sent them to the capital but I couldn't figure out what to do from there.. the pieces weren't combining like you'd expect.. instead they just all sat around the capital.  

Overall, I'm really enjoying Civ V despite some of the issues I'm having with the game. Not all are the games fault though. Some of them its just me being stupid. I really am looking forward to playing some more in the future and hope to have a full review up soon. :)

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

Hello fellow Giant Bombers. To cut things short, I purchased Civilization V last Thursday and I have played for 10 + hours straight a few times, over slept and was late for work, and have been thinking about my "battle plan" on what to do next when I am away from them game. Good thing showing up late at my work isn't as serious as an average job or else I'd be boned. I was planning on making Civ V my first review here on giant bomb and thought I could have dished out a review by now, but I feel like I haven't even come close to scratching the surface of this game. So because of this, this is going to be a little  "hands on" type of article about my experience thus far with the game that is: Civilization V.  

To start off, I will list my Pros.  
    - Many Civilizations to choose from.  
    When started my very first game of Civ V, I got the civ selection part and my jaw dropped. There were tons of civs to choose from, each with their own abilities, and special units. I counted a total of 18, but if you got the deluxe version it comes with another one. Some seem over powered and some seem under powered, but i guess that determines your play style. 

- graphics are really great 
    Looks very polished and the art style defiantly makes it look like a Civilization game.  

-Wide variety of game options 
      You can change everything from the landscape you play on to how many turns it takes to research things.  

-Built in Mod support 
    You can download mods without ever exiting the game. This is great for the casual base and those new to pc games because it takes away the need to search around websites to find mods and the need to actually put the mod files where they belong in the game files.  

- A lot of Strategic depth 
    One of the most things I really enjoy about this game is that it has a lot of depth from determining which area is more viable to place your city to make it a good asset, or planning out the perfect move order to make your civ, well, civilized faster than the others. It has enough strategic depth to satisfy a hard core Strategy gamer, but also is doesn't show it to turn off people who can't take it all in at one time.  

I like more than just these things about Civ V, but these stood out more.  

CONS 
    -Multiplayer 
    I played a multiplayer match with one of my friends for a couple hours a few nights ago and I really didn't like it. A lot of the animations are stripped like when your units move from tile to tile. the interaction with other Civs lacks the screen where you actually see them in front of you thus removing the feel that your actually talking to them. 
    Overall, it just seems like the multiplayer is stripped and doesn't feel as well done as the single player . 

-Controls are a little finicky. 
    I have had issues here and there when I try to attack with air planes where they don't attack and I have to keep clicking them over and over again. It seems like I'm not clicking the enemy in the right spot.  

-Camera is irritating once in a while. 
    I have been getting frustrated with the camera when it automatically goes to the next unit you haven't given orders to yet.   
    -Dialog 
    Conversations between you and other civs aren't the best. It lacks depth and the AI seem not understand whats going on occasionally. 

-Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to build a space ship.  
    I had all the pieces built and sent them to the capital but I couldn't figure out what to do from there.. the pieces weren't combining like you'd expect.. instead they just all sat around the capital.  

Overall, I'm really enjoying Civ V despite some of the issues I'm having with the game. Not all are the games fault though. Some of them its just me being stupid. I really am looking forward to playing some more in the future and hope to have a full review up soon. :)

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Yes, this game rules.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mesklinite

I bought dead rising 2. 1 hour in, I shut off my xbox to play more civ. I'm almost at 40 hours so far. I love drugs, I mean civ.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

Don't forget "no statistical breakdown postgame" and "no leaderboards or stats of any kind".

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By eldiax

Once you build the needed spaceship part, move it to the capital and then select it. On the left you have the assemble button (or something like that). The problem might also be that there is a part that needs to be built 3 times (the SS booster) and you probably didn't build it.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR
    @eldiax said:
    " Once you build the needed spaceship part, move it to the capital and then select it. On the left you have the assemble button (or something like that). The problem might also be that there is a part that needs to be built 3 times (the SS booster) and you probably didn't build it. "
    Well, id build the part 3 times that needed to be. I built like all of them in different cities at the same time so I pretty much had all of the parts already made by the  time i was ready to send them down to my capital.. Ill have to go for another science victory and see if i can figure it out.  :S

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.