Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Difference between Direct x9.0 and 11?

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I previously asked if I would be able to enjoy this game. I ended up downloading the demo and I played a small portion of it and was actually shocked at how well it run.  

My question now is pertaining to the direct x version I should play. When I started up the game it said run in Direct x 9.0 or Direct x 11 - Recommended(I think it actually said Direct x 10/11, but I don't know if that makes sense). i chose the recommended option. I'm wondering if I chose direct x 9.0 would it run even better? Is the main difference quality of graphics vs. speed of the game? 

Thanks in advance

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Zurv

I find it run faster and looks better in dx11. Others think it is faster in dx9. *shrug*... but it for sure looks better in dx11 :) 

here are some pix from civfanatics comparing dx9 to 11: 
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=381048   

random pix from me using dx11
    http://mail2.eclaro.com/wow/pix/CivilizationV_DX11%202010-09-27%2000-20-48-55.png 
    (i would have taken a dx9 pix too.. but for some odd reason, the revese of everyone else, dx9 is totally broken on my computer.  

also, a random pix of what civ4 looked like too ^_^ 
     http://mail2.eclaro.com/wow/pix/Civ4BeyondSword%202010-09-01%2022-29-08-70.png 

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lebkin

This is an issue that is extremely dependent on your computer. One configuration can run completely different than another. Both hardware and operating system can easily throw off how your installation works compared to another. The best advice I can give is try both settings to see which you like better. 

My experience has been the same as Zurv's: DX10/11 looks and runs better than DX9 mode.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

Just to let you know, the demo run in DX9, not 11, so should any problems arise if you decide to try out the DX11 version, jump back to 9 to see if it fixes it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

What gpu are you running? If it's DX11 compatible and you have vista or windows 7, I recommend you use that setting if your card can handle it.  

I don't have the game myself, however from the screenshots the DX11 looks sharper, less jaggies and has better textures on the ground, also reflections in the water.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ch3burashka

The difference is 2.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By shirogane
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " 11 
    -  9    2  The difference is 2. "

But it's 10 and 11. so the difference is actually... 
    +10 

I admit, i had to use a calculator, only to find that my initial answer before even thinking about it properly was correct. 

But yeah, on topic, 9 has some weird graphical stuff, like red spots on textures and stuff, 10/11 looks much better. Performance wise, i couldn't tell a difference. And it shouldn't make a difference unless your GPU is borderline DX10 compatible. 

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By chilipeppersman

i was able to run civ 5 in dx 9 mode with 1366x768 res. with all the other settings set to low. It ran good enough, and its pretty funtoo. i cant wait to play the demo on my home PC.... itll look awesome

Rudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Rudy

For me with a NVIDIA 8800 GTS video card the difference between DX9 and DX10/11 is that I can play the game in DX9, but I cannot play the game consistently in DX10/11 without frequent crashes :( 

Come on Firaxis.  Put out a patch for us 8800 users!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.