Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Is this ever coming out on Mac?

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By coonce

Anybody have any idea? 

It looks like Civ IV has -- has anyone played it? Are there performance issues?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By scarace360

I played civ4 on a mac and it was ok. It ran fine. I would love civ5 to come to mac cause then i could well play it on my mac.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Wuddel

Every Civ eventually also come out on the Mac. Usually a year or a year and a half later. Performance was ok, but always worse than under BootCamp.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By elko84

here is a post on the 2k forums for an unofficial way to get it to run on a Mac 

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87584

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thaijedi
    @coonce: Went to wikipedia and they have an article from Gamasutra saying it will come to mac, they just don't know when.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

...if iI get it now, will it work with SteamPlay?  I'm not paying for this twice.

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@KaosAngel said:
    " ...if iI get it now, will it work with SteamPlay?  I'm not paying for this twice. "
    I don't know about this one, but that was the case with Civ 4.  I bought it on Steam for PC years before they started the Steamplay thing and didn't have to buy it for Mac again. 
    banzai_nl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By banzai_nl
    @elko84 said:
    " here is a post on the 2k forums for an unofficial way to get it to run on a Mac  http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87584 "
    I shall try this (with the demo) and report back!
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Addfwyn
    @KaosAngel: Most likely, every game I had on Steam for the PC that later came on mac I was able to play instantly on my Mac without having to buy it again
    banzai_nl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By banzai_nl

First Report: Managed to get some kind of black screen of the Demo, running in DX9. Including the Civ 5 cursor. Not much more though.. more to follow!

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By audiosnag

DO IT!
    DO IT NOW!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'd be interested in getting Civ IV for my Mac, is there any Mac equivalent of Will It Run? I've literally never tried to play anything more advanced than flash games on here.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By audiosnag
    @HandsomeDead: My mac mini plays starcraft 2 just fine. The settings are all on low, but still...
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @audiosnag: That's a good omen. Civ IV came out two years before I even bought this so I should be fine.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

So I just downloaded the Civ IV demo and it said that my system was below minimum requirements. How is that even possible when I bought the machine in 2008 and the game came out in 2005?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Addfwyn
    @HandsomeDead: That's surprising for Civ4, I played it on my mac laptop just fine, and those are not exactly gaming machines.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd prefer to play it on a mac, since I hate having to reboot to play certain games (oh thank you Steam, now please gimme L4D2 mac!), but I don'T think I'm patient enough to do so. At least when it DOES come to mac, it'll surely be Steam Play, everything else so far has been. I don't think valve lets you have a separate mac version. Probably why not every single game has made the jump, since it's pretty easy to make a PC game work on a mac these days. 

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By datarez

I'm hope it comes to mac sooner rather than later because civ is my favorite laptop game.  I play it while the wife is watching tv or at family vactation events while everyone else is watching football or whatever.  I was hoping to have it for this Thanksgiving.  Oh well. 

I still have Civ IV and it runs fine/ok.  Some of the 3d people would wig out but I haven't tried it since the mac opengl updates.
    InsanePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InsanePenguin
    @HandsomeDead: 

Weird. I have a 2007 MBP (2.33 C2D, 3GHz RAM, Radeon X1600) and Civ IV runs fine on OS X. Better than in BootCamp, actually, since BootCamp makes my computer run warm just idling. In fact, I can even run Civ V in Windows, though with everything on low textures.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thebeast
    @elko84 said:
    " here is a post on the 2k forums for an unofficial way to get it to run on a Mac  http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87584 "
    Has anyone tried this method with any success? How does performance compare to running it in BootCamp? 
    I really want to buy it, but a bit put off by the lack of OSX support at the moment.
    akelatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By akelatal

I live in fear of the day this comes out on Mac. The Civilization series is an albatross upon my soul. I've been able to break free of its dark gravity at times, but the recidivism rate is HIGH.

GroundCombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GroundCombo

I have a Macbook Pro with 9400M/9600M and I got Civ 5 to run with the SteamPC app mentioned on 2k forums. I had to set terrain overlay to Medium (to avoid a gray map) and everything else to Low, but the performance is still... not great, when you get into the late game with lots of cities and units. I had to frequently switch to the strategic 2D view because zooming to another unit would turn into a horrible slideshow - good thing the option exists. Surprisingly it ran even slightly worse when I switched to 9600M.

I'd love to hear some performance comparisons between the Wine/Crossover method, VMWare/Parallels and native Bootcamp.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oatz

I have a 2010 Macbok Pro 17" and it runs great on Boot Camp. i7, GT 330M.

GroundCombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GroundCombo

Throwing out some more data points... I gave Parallels Desktop 6 a shot (using the trial version), and the performance is even worse than with Wine/Crossover. I loaded the endgame quicksave and it was practically unplayable in the regular 3D view. So, I gave up and made a Boot Camp XP partition; now Civ runs beautifully. I have a mix of Medium/Low settings and everything was smooth at least up to late Renaissance Era. I didn't try to go any higher because the graphics are already good enough for me and I like smoothness. Guess I'll have to do with the dedicated Civ partition until they release the Mac version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.