Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Just one my first game: a culture victory

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Vigilance

Man, that was fun! 

I actually only had two cities, though I had quite a few puppet states from when Montezuma made the mistake of thinking I was weak. 

I really like City States, so I played as Greece. I have to say, getting resources from your city state allies makes being super small much more viable in Civ 5.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Addfwyn

Yeah, you don't want to go for more than 2 or 3 cities (maybe 4) for a cultural victory, cause getting more cities hurts your great people/social policy production way too heavily.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vigilance

Yeah, the first game I played, I adopted my usual Civ strategy, which is to be really big, like controlling Europe and Russia and Asia on the Earth map big.

This version of Civ makes that really hard. Or at least, difficult if you don' t pick the right social policies, and I didn't.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

I was trying for cultural. But i guess i expanded too much. Couldn't help it though. I started on a horrible place with crappy resources.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vigilance

Yeah, I think going for a strong city state strategy made my culture victory a lot easier, especially once I maxed out the Patronage social policy tree.

I was getting extra science, food, culture, resources and military units from my "Hellenic League" buddies.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Rehehelly
    @Vigilance said:
    " Yeah, the first game I played, I adopted my usual Civ strategy, which is to be really big, like controlling Europe and Russia and Asia on the Earth map big.  This version of Civ makes that really hard. Or at least, difficult if you don' t pick the right social policies, and I didn't. "
    I found it really hard as I expanded far too early, therefore it just made it wayyy to hard to get all the military/happiness social policies. I'm pretty sure if I started small, maxed out those social policies then went on a rampage i'd of been fine (I still won anyway but y'know), but then I fear i'd have too few units.
    JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By JammyJesus

One... 

Appart from that, good going.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vigilance
    @JammyJesus said:
    "

One... 

"
    It was 3am and I had a deep, rich tan from the glow of my monitor.

Cut me some slack :)
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

You one'd your first game?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Umm... Does that title say what I think it says? If so, I think I need to change my statement on the forum about America's education system being broken.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

I guess that would explain why I found cultural victories quite tricky to get. Then again I do have about 24 cities and I tend to expand more.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vigilance
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " Umm... Does that title say what I think it says? If so, I think I need to change my statement on the forum about America's education system being broken. "
    So, you've never misspelled something at 3am? Ever? 
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Vigilance: You didn't misspell, sir. You used a completely different word. That's a little different.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vigilance
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @Vigilance: You didn't misspell, sir. You used a completely different word. That's a little different. "
    Yes, I mistyped something at 3am, noticed it almost immediately, but couldn't find a way to edit the thread title.

I am so sorry for all the mental anguish this has clearly caused you. 
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Two cities? Really? I haven't played civ 5 yet, but I've played a lot of the others, and I don't see how you can ever manage with only two cities. How the hell do you produce units fast enough or get a decent economy?

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By raiz265

tried the utopia project thing myself... took a bit to long i guess, after 500rounds i won by score :S

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mesklinite

I did that too with ghandi and 3 cities. I was surrounded by 5 city states. It was awesome.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jkz
    @JammyJesus said:
    "

One... 

"
    Appart... 

I'm just playing. Congrats on winning with Culture; I still think it's a far more interesting path to take than the militaristic one.
    bpops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By bpops
    @JammyJesus said:
    "

One... 

"
    Irony is sweet.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vigilance
    @9cupsoftea said:
    " Two cities? Really? I haven't played civ 5 yet, but I've played a lot of the others, and I don't see how you can ever manage with only two cities. How the hell do you produce units fast enough or get a decent economy? "
    Well, in the first place, cities can get quite a bit bigger in Civ 5, and they can work more land. 

Secondly, there are City States, which are one-city civilizations that can't win the game, and by allying with them you get many benefits.

For playing with only two cities, I never wanted for Strategic Resources like Iron, Coal or Oil, because my City State allies were providing them. 

I was also getting extra food, science and military units donated to me by my city state allies. 

In fact, once I hit the middle ages or so, I never built a single military unit. I had several allied city states providing me with units. 

So while my allies were bolstering my military, my two cities of Athens and Sparta were able to concentrate on wonders and and culture, and my cities were working a lot more tiles and able to focus their production on gold and production, since I was being fed by my maritime allies. 

As I said above, without a strong city state strategy I would have been in a much tougher position and would have been forced to expand.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.