Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

New player to Civ V

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SpawnMan

Hi all. After a lengthy search to find the Mac version of Civ 5 for my IMac, and with little success, I decided to simply get the Microsoft version and load it up using bootcamp. Which IS very annoying because I dislike Microsoft and their inferior software (don't hate the hater!). Anyway, for a number of different reasons, I can't connect to the internet on the Microsoft side without a great deal of pain, so how do I download all the patches and updates for the game if I'm offline? I installed the game today - do I have to do anything further or are all the updates up until now loaded on automatically? 

If not, if I DO manage to connect to the internet, where would I got to download these patches as I can't seem to find anything obvious in the Steam interface. I can certainly find the DLC for the game through Steam, but not the updates/patches. Where do I find these or are they simply uploaded automatically every time I start the game in online mode?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So you can hate, but I can't hate you for hating? =(   

All kidding aside. I'm not sure about your particular setup, but Steam does automatically update games you download through it. I'm also not 100% sure on this, but I believe that any game you download through them comes completely up-to-date, as no game I've ever downloaded through Steam updated within the first 24 hours.

I did a quick check of their website for a patch download link, and they only mention Steam updates - which happen as soon as you go online with Steam. You can check the update history in the Game's properties under the Updates tab.

Hope some of that info is useful. Cheers!

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By emem
    @SpawnMan: You don't even have to start the game to get updates, steam downloads them automatically when they are released and installs everything when you start the game, just like   animathias wrote. But I think when you are playing a game while downloading, the download is always paused.. that's why I don't have desktop shortcuts for steam games. :)
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

Simple solution, stop using a mac and UPGRADE to windows. As mentioned, steam updates all games automaticly. If you can launch the game then it's up to date.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Haters gonna hate Haters.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Chubbaluphigous
    @crusader8463: Dude is using windows.  Bbootcamp is just a way of installing windows onto a mac machine.  Windows doesn't run on top of OSX it runs instead of OSX. 

@SpawnMan: Games that use Steam have all the updates managed through them.  You can't download them elsewhere, put them on a USB stick, and update an offline machine like that.  So you have to connect just long enough to get the update.  If you bought a boxed copy, then you could have just saved yourself a lot of trouble and downloaded the Mac version through Steam in the first place.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Steam downloads all updates automatically as long as you're online. Funny though that you thought games had to be updated manually. Is this a Mac thing I don't know about? Dos all Mac users have to update everything manually and thats what they are accustomed to? Since I don't have the luxury to pay the apple premium, I guess I won't find out. 

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By SpawnMan
    @Chubbaluphigous: So you're saying that if I went on Steam and downloaded the Mac version I could get it on the Mac side of my computer and play it there??? And then NEVER have to use windows EVER AGAIN??! YESSS!!! That is what you're saying right...? How much is it on the Steam website for the Mac version?
    TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheLark

Gator aint never been bout the hate...

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Driadon
    @SpawnMan said:
    " @Chubbaluphigous: So you're saying that if I went on Steam and downloaded the Mac version I could get it on the Mac side of my computer and play it there??? And then NEVER have to use windows EVER AGAIN??! YESSS!!! That is what you're saying right...? How much is it on the Steam website for the Mac version? "
    It's currently $50, though it may go on sale at some point this week. 
    Also, I've heard that some games you own the Windows versions of will also equal a Mac version, though I do not know the details... 
    Anyway: download Steam for your Mac, dammit!
    kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By kwyee
    @Driadon said:
    " @SpawnMan said:
    " @Chubbaluphigous: So you're saying that if I went on Steam and downloaded the Mac version I could get it on the Mac side of my computer and play it there??? And then NEVER have to use windows EVER AGAIN??! YESSS!!! That is what you're saying right...? How much is it on the Steam website for the Mac version? "
    It's currently $50, though it may go on sale at some point this week. Also, I've heard that some games you own the Windows versions of will also equal a Mac version, though I do not know the details... Anyway: download Steam for your Mac, dammit! "
    AFAICT, all games released so far on Steam for Mac also has a PC version and buying one gets you both.  Look for the 'SteamPlay' logo on the game page; it means that you get a license for both, which is great!

As for Civ V in particular, i have it both on my Mac and PC for 1 price.  They work wonderfully but saved games on Steam Cloud do not transfer between platforms 
    Draco9898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Draco9898

Good luck running this game in bootcamp, it is a system hog like no other...the likes of which I never never seen in basically a board game :/

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ryanwho
    @Draco9898 said:
    " Good luck running this game in bootcamp, it is a system hog like no other...the likes of which I never never seen in basically a board game :/ "
    It runs as well as anywhere else. That is to say, it crashes as often as anywhere else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.