Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

What is your favorite map type and why?

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheChaos

I love playing on a small continents map. I think I'm just better at building maritime empires. 
    Whenever I settle on large land masses I always get steamrolled by aggressive AI because I can't protect everything. 
    But at sea I just keep churning out military ships and station cannons/artillery on my cities and it's smooth sailing from there.

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By StupidGamer

I like playing on a larger Pangea type map. My naval game is pretty weak, so I like having a big land empire and then paying off all the city states to be solid allies. The only miliatry units I have are usually gifted by the city states which I put around my borders. After that I just do what I can to keep the other Civs happy and I generally don't worry about war too much. If I'm going for a domination victory, the larger map can complicate things, but it is nice to have some breathing room in the larger continents earlier in the game.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mason

I think I like plain ol' continents type map the best, although I also like "fractals". Don't remember if that type is listed in the game but it's in the map editor.  

@StupidGamer Lately I've been playing with a large earth map. I do find that large continents make a diplomatic victory much easier. Civs are so spread out that they rarely hate you. All the Civs seem to like me and give great trading deals, even the really aggressive ones that are constantly fighting over Asia while I relax in South America. If I was on a smaller map, I guarantee those same Civs would hate my guts but instead they love me. Only problems is that it takes so long to travel anywhere and Barbarians are always spawning, even in the year 1920. So much unclaimed space that isn't worth getting.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Kohe321

I like the continents. I like the mix of islands and bigger landmasses.

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By StupidGamer
    @mason That is true about the Barbarians late in the game. I lost a great person that was traveling over water to a barbarian boat that had spawned without me knowing.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude

Random because random is awesome.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Joru

Continents, although it's more interesting to pick random - different map types lead to different play styles. 

Earth map is too predictable, when you find out where you are you kind of know the geographic situation you are in and what you should be doing. 
    Pangea is too dangerous with the aggressive AI when you're not going for domination. 
    Islands is nice, but I usually don't tend to get many ships which is why I prefer continents. It puts pressure on me from the other civs on the same continent and it allows me to go towards both land and sea armies. It's pretty much the all-rounder map type.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Onno10

A huge island map or random because I really like exploring and colonizing new lands.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Brenderous

Continents, cause if I play on earth I know the layout.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.