Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Which Civilization game is the best?

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By senorfuzzeh

I am looking into trying out one of the Civilization games. I love RTS games and I don't know why I never picked up one of these games. Summer is rolling around and I'm out of school so I'm gonna be doing some gaming this summer.

So Which Civ's game is the best? I know sometimes the newest isn't always the best. So I wanted to hear the gaming communities opinion. (Since none of my friends have played these games)

Also, is the Xbox version Civ Rev any good? Thanks for the help guys! :)

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

It's not real time, if you had that impression. Out of the last 3 games, I think I prefer V the most. It's the most accessible, easiest learning curve, and most polished. I didn't spend a lot of time with IV so I could be wrong, though.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tim_the_corsair

V is the easiest to pick up by far, and was the first Civ game to actually grab me since II

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar

Civilization is turn based, not real time.  If you're looking for an RTS in its style, try Rise of Nations.  If you want to try out a Civ game regardless, go with V.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Christoffer

I would say Civ V, although I can't say much bad about Civ IV. I didn't play Civ Rev but I hear it's pretty good, as far as a console version of a pure PC experience goes.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Turambar: I guess just any strategy games I enjoy. Total war is kind of RTS/ Turned base so I am still interested in this game.

Looks like majority vote is V. So I'll go with that one. Thanks guys! :)

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By Giantstalker

I would also vote for V. I started with the Civilization II, and can say with a bit of authority that it's come a long way since then. Definitely the most accessible and fun, even if Civilization IV is a deeper game in some ways.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By viking_funeral

If you're new: Civ 5. It's fairly easy to get into.

If you want a really deep game with a ton of unbelievable mods: Civ 4. Fall from Heaven 2 alone is a mod I'd put up with many stand alone titles, to say nothing of Rhye's and Fall of Civilization or A New Dawn.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ben_H

I prefer Civ IV but Civ V is fine too, though the AI seems way more aggressive than in Civ IV. The lack of being able to stack tiles in Civ V makes it so you have to be a bit more strategic with how you lay out all your units on the field. In Civ IV you could just stack them all and steamroll everything. 

And yes, it is similar to the world map view of Total War games, rather than the battle portion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really play much of Civ before V so I guess, I'll have to go with that. Though they aren't RTS games they are turned based.

You should also take a look at the Hearts of Iron games (2 or 3) - a series of grand strategy games where you take control of any nation you want from a rather large pool of nations and lead them through World War II, the game has a big focus on both combat, research and diplomacy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Civ IV is the best, but Civ V will do fine.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB

Civ IV is the most feature-rich. Revolution is great as a more casual Civ. Civ V is a great mix between the two. I personally prefer Civ V, even if it does feel a little more "video gamey." I sunk an obscene amount of time into that game. I'm talking hour numbers that make me feel ashamed.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hunkulese

I preferred Civ IV but I got into it late after the expansions had all come out so who knows how much will change in V after the expansions. I really didn't like any of the changes they made to V except for the combat and one unit per tile.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By superpow

I haven't played V so I can't speak to its value but IV is really good. I played it today actually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.