Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Downpour

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

The eighth game in the esteemed survival-horror franchise sees convict Murphy Pendleton escape captivity and flee into the much greater danger of the cursed town of Silent Hill.

How many of you guys excited for this game?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

I love the Silent Hill series so I'm looking forward to this game.Hopefully the developers brings some new interesting game mechanics.So how many of you guys are excited about this new upcoming Silent Hill game.What do you expect from this game?

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SuperWristBands

I am. I started with Homecoming and then went to Shattered Memories. I also have Silent Hill 2 that I need to play through but it freaks me the fuck out. I don't really care that some people didn't like Homecoming because it wasn't made by the original developers. As long as it is full of enough scares and grotesque images then I am sold.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By falserelic
    @Sasran: I like homecoming but I hated shattered memories.Shattered memories was probably the only Silent Hill game I hated.I know the developers was trying to take the series to a new direction.But to me the game lack variety and there was no scare factor.You know when the enemies are going to come and its always the same enemies.The game gets repetitive fast.But thats just my opinion for Shattered Memories.I know there's people that love this game ,and thats good for them if they got there money's worth out of it. 

I'm really looking forward to downpour aswell.The developers said there going to add a new gameplay mechanic.That hasn't been done before in a silent hill game. I'm interested in finding out what it is.  
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @falserelic: 
    I think the big thing about Shattered Memories was the psychological stuff. At least thats why I liked it. I'll admit it wasn't frightening in the traditional sense but sometimes running for my life was hectic. I also loved all the "what the fuck"'s the game introduced with the ending. I really should go back and play it again. I just need to find the time.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I just want them to bring back the kind of emotional impact and storytelling like Silent Hill 3 brought to the table.  I thought Homecoming took a fair amount of it's story from Silent Hill 2- anyone who played both knows what I mean.  That was pretty depressing, so I'd like to see a more original story, maybe some more interesting twists on the classic.  This guy was a prisoner, last I checked, so lord only knows what sorts of trauma the town could pull out of him.  If the split head dogs were mean before, imagine when they've got a full on bloodhound/guard dog aspect added to them.

DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

I haven't seriously enjoyed a Silent Hill game since 3, so there are some obvious doubts. Willing to give it a chance though.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By falserelic
    @Sasran: I will admit the story for Shattered Memories is pretty good,and the ending was a big wtf.I was very surprise how the game ended.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @Sasran said:

"I am. I started with Homecoming and then went to Shattered Memories. I also have Silent Hill 2 that I need to play through but it freaks me the fuck out. I don't really care that some people didn't like Homecoming because it wasn't made by the original developers. As long as it is full of enough scares and grotesque images then I am sold. "

You must be 13, if not, I can't believe what I just read.
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By falserelic
    @Make_Me_Mad: I know what you mean.Homecoming and silent hill 2 stories was similar.I agree with you I hope they make an original storyline for downpour. 
    neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By neozeke

I'm going to hold off on buying it for a while. I wasn't really impressed by the post Silent Hill 3 games. I did like Shattered Memories, but Homecoming and the PSP game were somewhat disappointing. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

If it plays more like the older Silent Hill games or Shattered Memories, I'm interested.  If it's another Homecoming, not so much.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By benjaebe

Wicked excited. Judging from previews, the Game Informer article, etc. it's shaping up to be a decent entry in the series.
    For the record, though, I've enjoyed all of them.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael

I'm cautiously optimistic (as usual with Silent Hill).

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Very much so! Even though it's completely separate from every other silent hill out there, including developers and even the composer, I'm just excited to see the franchise still chugging along, despite all the negatives the franchise has suffered.

Icebuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icebuncle

I have very mixed feelings. The SH games made by Team Silent are still some of my favourite games of all time. If I meet new people that haven't played them I usually try to convince them to try them out.
    The games after Team Silent is a different story. I thought Origins was ok. It didn't stray too far from the original first game, which was good, but the story was very under-developed and ended up quite predictable. I didn't expect great things from it though, as it was developed for the PSP.
    Homecoming I didn't even complete. It had so many bugs that ruined a lot of my time with it. The battle system that was based around dodging didn't work very well in all those small areas and tight corridors you spend most of the time in. It had some great boss fights though. The doll battle was fantastic. What stopped me from playing eventually was a twist in the story line that just didn't work for me. I think I'm near the end though, so I should probably complete it one day.
    Shattered Memories I haven't completed yet. I fully intend to though, but I'm living in Uni and my Wii is at home. I will hold my judgement on it until I play it some more.

So yes, after the mediocre games post Team Silent, I'm not expecting much from this. I will try it out soon after it's release, mostly because I like the old games so much that I have a faint hope that one day someone will develop a SH game that will give me a similar emotional experience that Team Silent gave me.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stete

None of the post Team Silent games even remotely excited me so not at all I'm afraid. Any remote excitement I had for this was drowned out by the "quick time boss battles" blurb.

Although im actually quite keen to see what Daniel Licht does with the score. As much as synonymous Akira Yamaoka is with Silent Hill, it felt that he kinda phoned it in Origins, Homecoming and Shattered Memories. Can't blame him really though, the guy is probably got severely fed up with the series.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Well yeah I'm interested to see what new thing they are planning for the franchise. Unfortunately without Akira Yamaoka I don't know how they can pull of the unique sound design and musical scoring the franchise treasures as its it is the very element of the game that separates it from the rest of the other horror franchises and what actually made Silent Hill what it was. So without Akira Yamaoka I don't know. Honestly I didn't find Homecoming that bad, though its really flawed, its still worth the addition for me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

I am very excited for it. I really liked Homecoming and I'm curious to see what a new developer will do. 

@VanderSEXXX said:

" Well yeah I'm interested to see what new thing they are planning for the franchise. As long as Akira Yamaoka remains as the sound designer, thats virtually enough to keep me interested in the franchise. Honestly I didn't find Homecoming that bad, though its really flawed, its still worth the addition for me. "
    Akira Yamaoka isn't working on this one.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#19  Edited By KillyDarko

Silent Hill 1 and 2 are my favorites, and if Downpour goes back to that style of storytelling and creepiness, I'd be really happy. But I don't think they'll do it.... I'll still buy it, though ^^

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By XenoNick

I am. Enjoyed Homecoming quite a lot.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

Some people haven't enjoyed a Silent Hill since 2, and they're not really fans. They'll bitch at anything that's not Silent Hill 2, so they're useless. I thought Shattered Memories did some interesting things and Im glad they seem to keep making these games for the people who actually like them and not the people who've refused to enjoy the last 5 fucking games.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By falserelic
    supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By supaman900s
    @Sasran said:
    " I am. I started with Homecoming and then went to Shattered Memories. I also have Silent Hill 2 that I need to play through but it freaks me the fuck out. I don't really care that some people didn't like Homecoming because it wasn't made by the original developers. As long as it is full of enough scares and grotesque images then I am sold. "
    Ummm what game are you currently playing through? Well whatever it is, you need to take a break form it and play through Silent Hill 2. It is so good, even this long after it came out, I played it for the first time in the past year or two and loved it. If your getting to freaked out, just try playing it during the day or with someone watching you, that always eases the tension.
    iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By iGaboru

I am excited and worried at the same time, I want the Silent Hill franchise to be relevant again, to go back to its psychological horror roots, to scare the shit out of us the Amnesia way. I'm really confident this could be the game all of us SH fans have been waiting for since SH3.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I'm still waiting for a sequel/something similar to Shattered Memories. That game was amazing.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By velucyraptor

- The music, so far as I can glean, sounds shit.
    - Said music had better not be so dominant as it appears; give me a subtle, sparing soundtrack that allows for other noise. Ugh create an atmosphere COMPLEMENTED by the music rather than RELIANT upon it
    - Speaking of atmosphere, where is my sense of loneliness &despair
    - Don't you DARE rely on boo scare tactics I will strangle something
    - Murphy Pendleton? Really? PENDLETON? REALLY?
    - OOH CONVICTED CRIMINAL OOOH REPRESSED GUILT
    - If you even so much as flash me a GLIMPSE of the pointy pyramidy TIP of Pyramid Head's pyramid head I will kill you all. HE IS JAMES'. HE IS JAMES 
     - Just me or the graphics look awful    

Goal: Express current thoughts on Downpour in sane &rational manner
    Reality: Rapidly deteriorating crazed monologue treating Downpour like multi-sentient being which has wronged me personally
    I apologise     

Edit: Just read the article, no PH. 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By handlas

^ you seem to be concluding a lot from what very little has been shown about the game

Downpour looks like a step in the right direction after how terrible Homecoming was.  (I don't count Shatter Memories because I don't have a Wii to play it...i did play 30 or so minutes on my brother's Wii but I still have a hard time counting it as a true Silent Hill game simply because it seemed so different).

I just want it to go back to what it was in Silent Hill 2/3.  Or, hell, even 4...I enjoyed that game as well; still was survival horror and had very creepy moments even tho I know must SH fans look down on it for not being a "true" SH game.  There are no more games like this it seems (on consoles at least).  Every game must take RE4's formula now with action action action and no suspense.  I was semi-hoping Alan Wake would be more Silent Hill-ish but it wasn't.  Tho I was still very pleased with Alan Wake.  Homecoming fits that category; just another mediocre action 3rd person game.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's anything like Shattered Memories, definitely.  I REALLY wanted to play Shattered Memories but never got to since I had sold my PS2 and don't have a Wii.

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jaycee13

I'm really exited for this game. I've been playing through homecoming for a few hours and I havn't noticed anything absolutely terrible about it yet. Sure it isn't as good as the first 3 games (and maybe 4th but that is the only one of the original 4 that I havn't played) but I think it's quiet decent. I just really hope the sound and atmosphere will be adequete for a Silent Hill game.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Lautaro

Really excited, I have enjoyed the past few so I can't wait.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen anything about this game, but sure I'm always down for more Silent Hill.

sussmeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sussmeyer

I'm zizzling    for this game, that being said  ...  

i've been trying to beat Homecoming for about a week now ... i don't find it difficult ..just not that interseting when it comes to game play ...i only have two more chapters left .. but i don't know ... i feel a little disappointed that it took so long to get to Silent Hill and before getting to the Island??? when the  worlds would cross over it was only for a couple of minutes .. god, i want to like Homecoming  !!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like i'm watching the movie all over again .. it started out like shit .. pulled me in .. and then fucked up side the head with bad wrtting, acting, and a who cares twist that you saw coming b4 act 2 .......i miss my Silent HIll
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By phantomzxro

I need to see more of it.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shadows_kill

I'd be willing to try the series out. The last wii one looked cool. I wouldnt mind having another horror game not named Dead Space.

dark_being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By dark_being

So far it looks better than any other "western" Silent Hill game, so you can say I'm a wee but excited. 
    I played all of the Silent Hill games (except the arcade game, but seriously...), and ever since 4 (included) I haven't really felt like I was playing a SH game. Sure, 0rigins nailed the presentation, and Homecoming was fun and everything (I refuse to acknowledge Shattered Memories as canon) but there was always something missing. 

I don't have too great of expectations for Silent Hill: Downpour, but I am intrigued, and that's good enough for now.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By falserelic

I was hoping to play this game in October. But it looks like it got pushed back until next year. From what I heard from people who played the demo. They said it has some technical problems. Hopefully the developers will fix them before the game is released.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By kingzetta
    @Icemael said:
    I'm cautiously optimistic (as usual with Silent Hill).
    me too
    plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By plasticstars

Yes. I'm a huge fan of Silent Hill, and even though the past few games have ranged from tolerable to complete garbage I'm still looking forward to playing Downpour and seeing how it turns out.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CptBedlam

When I read that Korn is doing the main theme for this game, my excitement levels went below zero.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By The_Nubster

Spare me the head-dogs and tit zombie nurses. Seriously. Silent Hill is a representation of repressed guilt and psychological horror, there's no excuse for there to be recurring enemies. That's what bothers me about the newer games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.