Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill HD Collection

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

The second and third Silent Hill games come to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in Silent Hill HD Collection with new high-definition graphics and voice acting.

I've never played Silent Hill before. Will this hold up?

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

I understand that Silent Hill games(at least old ones) are amazing. I don't have problems with accepting that.

But, people said the same thing about Code Veronica and I did not want to play that game after playing for about an hour because of its control.

I get it. Story is amazing therefore I should suck it up and play it. But I don't want to struggle with my controller and die because I turned my characters to a wrong direction.

Do you think the game will be "modern" enough for me to enjoy it without getting frustrated by the control?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@nohthink said:

I understand that Silent Hill games(at least old ones) are amazing.

But, people said the same thing about Code Veronica

They did? Who are these people? Punch them in the throat and break their hands; they must not be allowed to communicate.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nohthink

@Video_Game_King: lol Opinion opinion opinion.

I know someone who would defend Code Veronica to his death so.... meh. It is what it is.

JoeBigfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JoeBigfoot

you'll probably get frustrated by the controls, though Silent Hill was always much more about the atmosphere, combat is still mainly unavoidable and pretty awful.

That said I love those games and would replay them.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@nohthink:

It's , isn't it? Oh, wait, I forgot about Silent Hill. I can only speak to Silent Hill 2, which, adventure-game-ass-adventure-game nature aside, has a good (if incredibly slow) story.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Well you really need to know what you're getting into, the games have mechanics and controls that have been pretty much bred out of the industry at this point. Tank controls, fixed camera angles, clunky combat, backtracking through dark environments. But they also have some of the best atmosphere, story, and "HOLY SHIT" moments in the history of survival horror, and in my opinion at least, are totally worth experiencing if you care about the genre.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Packie

They still play well to this day. Never got the complaints about the controls from some people, I do remember the PS2 games holding up very well. Silent Hill 1 on the other hand, as much as I loved it, controls like crap.

Also if you can, hunt down a copy of Silent Hill 4: The Room. Incredible and has the best story on the franchise if you're willing to ignore some questionable design choices.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeushbien

It's worth a try, at least, if it seems like something you might be into. It has had a strong impact on a lot of people who have played it, me included. And I only finished it about a year ago.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Stealthmaster86

I'm sure it will. I played Silent Hill a few months ago and I thought it still held up. Can't see why this would be any different.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By xxizzypop

@nohthink: The game can handle somewhat clunkily, but I will defend the story of this game with an unending passion. Silent Hill 3 I can't attest for, but Silent Hill 2, with multiple endings and a ridiculous amount of care given to the design of virtually everything in relation to the psyche of the main character is just shocking. If you can appreciate good story, good characters and like reading in to what is happening, I think you'll appreciate it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just put it on easy, and give yourself a ten minute rule for wandering around with no idea before you use a FAQ.

Lenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Lenny

I'm biased I'll admit, but you've never played anything quite like Silent Hill 2. I haven't played it in years and i have had the HD version pre-ordered for months. It stays with you like a good film/book for a long time.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313
    Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Seroth

Silent Hill games usually have bad combat, puzzles that don't make any sense, and terrible voice acting. But the atmosphere and story is pretty damn good.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By aznan

I replayed SH2 maybe half a year ago. The Silent Hill series doesn't really have fixed camera angles, except for a few occasions - mostly it is a regular followcam. The default control scheme is Resident Evil style tank controls, but there's an option to make the movement relative to the camera, as it is with most games. This option combined with the followcam make the game quite playable, even today.

As for the combat, however, you mostly just swing a stick in the creatures' general direction and hope for the best. This is not completely without merit, though, as it makes you consider flight rather than fight tactics which helps make the game more scary.

One thing you might have a problem with are the puzzles. They are often, if not completely illogical, at least quite a bit more far fetched than would be expected of a game today. I never got stuck, because my memory could always nudge me in the direction of the proper solution, but I remember thinking I'd probably be stumped and frustrated if I'd gone in fresh.

Over all, though, it might not be the game it once was, but I think it held up rather well and if you are a fan of the genre it is absolutely worth a look.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@Video_Game_King said:

@nohthink:

It's , isn't it?

No, it wasn't me. Also I'll have you know that when it came to me defending Code Veronica, it was more so about me trying to explain how ludicrous it was to say it's a worse game than Survivor. I'm not some Code Veronica cultist or anything. I think it's probably the worst out of the main entries in fact.

@Seroth said:

Silent Hill games usually have bad combat, puzzles that don't make any sense, and terrible voice acting. But the atmosphere and story is pretty damn good.

Bad combat? Sure. Puzzles that don't make sense? On the normal difficulty for both SH2/SH3, all of the puzzles I think were very manageable. Hell, I was able to get through 'em when I was I think 10-12, so they must of been. Some of the original SH's puzzles were strange (like the one in the Otherworld near the end with the morgue list or something), but they're never too difficult that they'll leave you stuck for hours on end I wouldn't say. Unless you're talking about them not fitting in the context? Which I also think is unjust since Silent Hill is often a purposely strange and abstract place after all, so all the strange and arbitrary puzzles only add to the appeal of the franchise's eerie effect.

The voice acting is definitely hit or miss, but for as much as everyone loves to shit over it, Homecoming has some really solid voice acting. Brian Bloom, guy who voiced Varric in DA2 and Jackie in The Darkness 2, voices the protagonist in Homecoming. Maria in SH2 is fantastic as well, and one of the high points of the entire game, Hell she damn near makes the game; it's the one reason why I'm so glad that the original VO is in the HD collection. Heather, the protagonist for SH3, is another standout as well I'd say. Everyone else, though... yeah, it's pretty rough. Especially the original, but it's also brilliant! It has a David Lynch kinda vibe to the dialogue. But quality-speaking, it's almost reaching the depths of 'the original Resident Evil' bad.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Abyssfull:

What about in my original blog on the game?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yummylee

@Video_Game_King said:

@Abyssfull:

What about in my original blog on the game?

What about it? I said my thoughts on why I enjoyed it and rallied against your insanely aggressive stance as to why people who do enjoy it are stupid. Even now ''they must not be allowed to communicate''... I know it's all jokey hyperbole ha-ha-blah, but the hatred you have for Veronica far outweighs my attempts to defend it.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By katanalauncher

No in my opinion.

The mechanics are not great, even in their times.

The atmosphere still hold up well, but not enough to make up for the mechanics.

There are much better horror games now you should play instead of that.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Silent Hill 3 is my favorite entry in the series, but I can't tell you how it'll hold up with the redone voice acting. A large part of the game worked because the V.A. for the protagonist in that one was incredibly convincing. I think they'll both hold up pretty well, but 2 definitely feels a little too game-y at times.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Silent Hill 3 is my favorite entry in the series, but I can't tell you how it'll hold up with the redone voice acting. A large part of the game worked because the V.A. for the protagonist in that one was incredibly convincing. I think they'll both hold up pretty well, but 2 definitely feels a little too game-y at times.

Douglas was incredible as well. I mean, he was the worst, but he was the kind of bad that would of done well in a lot of B-movies and games even. His VA's voice had a great, husky style to it that sounded pretty distinctive.

Avatar image for pescado_auf_deutsch
    pescado_auf_deutsch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you're having problems with the controls, just switch to "2D style" in the options menu. It plays much better that way. This goes for SH2, btw. I don't remember if you can do this in 3.

Avatar image for theartofbalance
    theartofbalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By theartofbalance

Like everyone above has said, the Silent Hill games always handled atmosphere beautifully. They all contain very creepy areas to explore and include atmospheric sound design. While the series has a set of quirks that may be hard to adjust to, it is completely worth it to soldier through the games on the easiest difficulty just for the great experience that these games offer.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StrikeALight

They're pretty dated classics, and should be regarded as such. But nobody has managed to recreate or out-do the slow-burn pyschological horror of SH 1-3 (but 4 came close).

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By RawknRo11a

Really enjoying SH2 right now. I don't remember the lighting being as good as it is, but man, the lighting is creepy as hell! As others in here have said, the atmosphere is like nothing else, you just have to put up with some slight issues. Regardless of those issues these two games are well worth it.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Omega

@pescado_auf_deutsch: How does 2D mode change the controls?

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrBendo

It holds up rather well. It feels dated at times, but far from unmanageably so. Both games allow you to select your control scheme. The 3D setup (stick controls relative to character) could be difficult if you've not played in that style before, but the 2D (relative to screen position) is the same standard used by most games now.

The camera angles might take a little getting used to, especially with 2D, but they're well worth it. Most games don't even attempt to factor camera angle and movement into their presentation, but it makes a hell of a difference; you get not only a bit of variety, but the right angle at the right time sets the mood and carries implications.

Combat can feel awkward at times, but it's not hard to get the hang of it. Furthermore, you set combat and puzzle difficulties independently; you can keep things simple on the combat end without sacrificing some of the best puzzles to be found in a game (the SH3 bookstore puzzle on hard is fantastic). Easy mode is hard to fuck up, and beginner is generally impossible to botch (you pretty much cannot die). The frustrations that come with control issues tend to hinge on frequent deaths and restarts, but that can be avoided in these games by looking at the options screen or setting the right difficulty.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Willtron

Shitty controls/clunky controls were a design choice. Or that's how I look at it. I know it sounds as an excuse, but the characters in Silent Hill were never supposed to be good at combat. They're regular-ass people. If you can accept that the movement is a bit clunky, then you need to play them, especially for HD Collection price. SH2 is my favourite game ever. And the story is god-damned amazing. And 3 is up there, too.

But if you're really going to have the pretense of frustration, then... yeah, don't play it. Or give it a chance, keep the clumsiness in mind, and don't be a butthole and rage. The possible clumsiness is worth the atmosphere alone. I still can't play SH2 for more than a half-hour at a time. It creeps me out that much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Omega: It's direct control with the left stick, left moves James left relative to the camera, not relative to his facing.  I actually switched to 2D mode because I'm having weird issues with my controller.  Either my buttons are sticky or they fucked up something in the translation, but James is running in a stuttery way and not turning when I press turn.

Tell you the thing I notice about the HD stuff; smooth framerate!  Actually getting to see those animations in a fluid framerate is awesome.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I was thinking about playing a SH for the first time too. 

Is it necessary to play the first game to enjoy 2 and 3?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FancySoapsMan 2 is a self-contained story. 3 is kind of a followup to the original, but you can just read a synopsis on Wikipedia or whatever.

If you like 2 or 3, maybe try the original out on PSN, it's 6 bucks.
    BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Video_Game_King said:

@nohthink said:

I understand that Silent Hill games(at least old ones) are amazing.

But, people said the same thing about Code Veronica

They did? Who are these people? Punch them in the throat and break their hands; they must not be allowed to communicate.

Well, i really want to do that to you right now...

Code Veronica was amazing when it came out on the Dreamcast, definitely one of the best old school Resident Evil games.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BPRJCTX said:

definitely one of the best old school Resident Evil games.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Video_Game_King: Well, i don't know you, but i'm going to assume you loved Resident Evil 5, if so, we have nothing else to talk about about.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BPRJCTX:

I'm not sure how that's relevant, but I remember it being OK. Yea, it's been a while since I've played it, and I do remember it trying to justify its racism with science, but I still remember having a pleasant experience with it.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Video_Game_King: Yeah, like i said, we have nothing else to talk about.

You're not a fan.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BPRJCTX said:

You're not a fan.

Which isn't exactly relevant to the discussion of Code Veroncia X's quality, unless you wish to turn this into a false dilemma.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By cornbredx

That's a shame. Code veronica was awful when it came out (its one I've always said only the crazy fans can appreciate it and maybe some people who just happen to like it for their own reasons). 
    Silent Hill 2 has a fantastic story. The game play has always been considered "bad" but that's subjective. I've always been fine with how Silent Hill played.  

Silent Hill 3 has a great story too, but I don't know how much of it is understandable if you haven't played SH1 (I do remember them explaining a few things though). There is some crazy things said in that game that were ever explained and are kind of mind blowing. To be clear, though, its great they have never been answered.

If you played Deadly Premonition, well the combat is very similar actually to that, and if that bothers you it may not "hold up" but the story will if you are into psychological horror. I still think they are fantastic games, but hard to say if you would too. They hold up just fine for me.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By Seroth

@Abyssfull said:

Puzzles that don't make sense? On the normal difficulty for both SH2/SH3, all of the puzzles I think were very manageable. Hell, I was able to get through 'em when I was I think 10-12, so they must of been. Some of the original SH's puzzles were strange (like the one in the Otherworld near the end with the morgue list or something), but they're never too difficult that they'll leave you stuck for hours on end I wouldn't say. Unless you're talking about them not fitting in the context? Which I also think is unjust since Silent Hill is often a purposely strange and abstract place after all, so all the strange and arbitrary puzzles only add to the appeal of the franchise's eerie effect.

I'm talking about stuff like making a door handle out of a waxdoll and a horseshoe. That's weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played the Silent Hill games, I've watched a friend play them though, one day I'll get round to playing them myself.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Video_Game_King said:

@BPRJCTX said:

You're not a fan.

Which isn't exactly relevant to the discussion of Code Veroncia X's quality, unless you wish to turn this into a false dilemma.

Code Veronica X...

Lol, if you had played it on the Dreamcast when it came out, and you were a fan of Resident Evil, you would have loved Code Veronica.

If you played the rehashed PS2 version years later, or just played it when it came out on PSN/XBLA...

Well then, i don't even know why i'm responding to you.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BPRJCTX said:

Lol, if you had played it on the Dreamcast when it came out, and you were a fan of Resident Evil, you would have loved Code Veronica.

So what you're saying is that I'd like this game if I was predisposed to liking the game? That's a fucking terrible argument.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Video_Game_King said:

@BPRJCTX said:

So what you're saying is that I'd like this game if I was predisposed to liking the game? That's a fucking terrible argument.

So, it's true huh, you probably played when it came out on PSN XBLA, and you're judging it by todays standards.

Look, last thing i say to you, when Code Veronica came out on the Dreamcast, it was DA SHIT!!!

And every Resident Evil fan loved it.

If you aren't a Resident Evil fan, or didn't play it when it came out, it's simple, just don't talk about it.

I don't like a lot of "great" games, that's my opinion, but i don't come on forums an try to make ppl believe that they're crap, cos i know they aren't, i just don't like them.

This is what you're doing, "I don't like this game, and if i don't like it, it means it's crap, and eveybody else is wrong! Wahhh!!!"

C'mon...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BPRJCTX:

...Ignoring the immediate launch into an presumptuous strawman argument...

@BPRJCTX said:

So, it's true huh, you probably played when it came out on PSN XBLA, and you're judging it by todays standards.

Who the hell said that? Although yes, I did play it today, although I do not judge my games by timed standards. I don't believe in that crap. Would playing it in 2000 make me ignore how the CG graphics are noticeably worse than the in-game graphics? Or how the atmosphere and the puzzles make absolutely no goddamn sense? Or how the story is riddled with more holes and stupidity than a botched lobotomy? Or how Steve Burnside is a horrendous, absolutely unlikeable character whom the game, without any irony, sarcasm, or reason, readily assumes that I will love from the get-go? Would playing it with a butt-cord controller change any of these factors in any way?

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Video_Game_King said:

@BPRJCTX:

...Ignoring the immediate launch into an presumptuous strawman argument...

@BPRJCTX said:

Who the hell said that? Although yes, I did play it today, although I do not judge my games by timed standards. I don't believe in that crap. Would playing it in 2000 make me ignore how the CG graphics are noticeably worse than the in-game graphics? Or how the atmosphere and the puzzles make absolutely no goddamn sense? Or how the story is riddled with more holes and stupidity than a botched lobotomy? Or how Steve Burnside is a horrendous, absolutely unlikeable character whom the game, without any irony, sarcasm, or reason, readily assumes that I will love from the get-go? Would playing it with a butt-cord controller change any of these factors in any way?

Again, that's all "your" opinion, nothing but that.

It's not right or wrong, it's not a fact, just your opinion, can't you understand that, and continue on with your life?!

Do you really have to change my opnion, to be happy again?!

BTW, just tell me your favourite games of all time.

I can play that game too.

It's easy, try me.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BPRJCTX said:

Again, that's all "your" opinion, nothing but that.

Would you mind arguing against it, then? Or are you content in that being your argument?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.