Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 30, 2008

This installment of Silent Hill sees a new character, Alex Shepherd, returning home from military service to find his family in disarray. To save his brother, Josh, he must enter the macabre town of Silent Hill.

When combat isn't fun (Silent Hill Homecoming)

arkadysmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By arkadysmile

So the other day I decided to give "Silent Hill Homecoming" yet another try. Thing is that all of the other games in the series are in the bag and this is the one and only not. So here I go again (on my own) playing the game and deciding that it wasn't as bad as I remember it being. I had been getting the feel of the combat and all and all was enjoying the story. Then I got to the Sewers. Long story short (to late)  I had run through all of my ammo and healing items. It seemed like the enemies just keep coming and that the combat system Double Helix had created for the game just didn't work and when there were multiple enemies on screen... forget about it. I took the disc out and there is a good chance that I will never finish it. I want to... I just guess that I am not good enough to do it.

This made me start thinking about the many games that I have just deemed to damn hard to finish and it makes me sad. Should I sit there in front of the tv until I am good or should games come with a easy setting. Something that even a regular player (such as myself) or someone with little time to learn the finer ins and out of the game. Hmmm...

PS. I think that "Shattered Memories" got it right, at least for the Silent Hill world. Story and scares over combat is a win every time in a horror title.

arkadysmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By arkadysmile

So the other day I decided to give "Silent Hill Homecoming" yet another try. Thing is that all of the other games in the series are in the bag and this is the one and only not. So here I go again (on my own) playing the game and deciding that it wasn't as bad as I remember it being. I had been getting the feel of the combat and all and all was enjoying the story. Then I got to the Sewers. Long story short (to late)  I had run through all of my ammo and healing items. It seemed like the enemies just keep coming and that the combat system Double Helix had created for the game just didn't work and when there were multiple enemies on screen... forget about it. I took the disc out and there is a good chance that I will never finish it. I want to... I just guess that I am not good enough to do it.

This made me start thinking about the many games that I have just deemed to damn hard to finish and it makes me sad. Should I sit there in front of the tv until I am good or should games come with a easy setting. Something that even a regular player (such as myself) or someone with little time to learn the finer ins and out of the game. Hmmm...

PS. I think that "Shattered Memories" got it right, at least for the Silent Hill world. Story and scares over combat is a win every time in a horror title.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Knowing that you will never get back to a game you somehow do want to finish is the worst thing in the world.

Yes, worse than war and hunger.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust
    @arkadysmile:  

I agree with you. Combat in SH5 sucks dwarven cock. And curiously enough i also quitted at the sewers. :p 

For me this game isn't a worthy title when compared with the other ones, except maybe Silent Hill: Origins.  Besides the combat, the story and even the monsters aren't testament of a good Silent Hill story, as they lack the inner meanings on all the other games.

On a quick update, the next silent hill was announced to be on production yesterday i think. More details on E3. :p
    Kralle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kralle
    @Meowayne: amen
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I'm not sure that any of the Silent Hill games have good gameplay, though Shattered Memories is definitely a step in the right direction. That series has only been notable for its story and its music; the rest is basically a nullity. The puzzles are stupid and the controls don't work.

I'm reminded by what Scott Sharkey once said about Resident Evil: It must have sucked to work at Umbrella Corp, because you have to solve a massive puzzle just to get into the bathroom. 

Those games is stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.