Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

An icy re-imagining of the classic Silent Hill, which trades weapons for frantic chase sequences as the player tries desperately to flee pursuing enemies. It takes on more of an adventure game format than traditional survival-horror.

Just Finished the Game

Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really liked it. I was hooked from the minute it started, the atmosphere, the phone calls through the wii remote everything I thought this game was utterly brilliant. At times I hated the monster sequences I thought those could have been better but other than that I can't think of a game that has left me thinking as much as this game does.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

It looks interesting enough (I've never played any Silent Hill games), but I don't have a Wii. Shame.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Darkstar614

(Just finished it myself)

Coming from someone who only played about 20 minutes of Silent Hill back when it first came out on PS1, I'd say its an excellent game. The story and atmosphere were really amazing, and the "psychological evaluation" stuff was pretty cool. It really makes me wonder how much different the game is for someone who chose different answers and such.

The "monster chase" sequences were sorta cool and also 'clunky'. They did their part well, making it seem more dangerous and "Oh Jesus! I need to get out of here now!" instead of the traditional RE kind of style where you're focusing on clearing rooms of enemies one by one and then investigating. Some were kind of frustrating though, like trying to pull up the map to see where you need to be going. Even opening the Full-screen map and exiting back out would still cost you a few seconds and get you swarmed.

And it's worth noting that I really got an "Alan Wake" vibe from this. Just in general feel of the game, which is pretty awesome. I can't wait for that game either. Is survival horror actually trying to be about Survival and Horror again? Let's hope.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Does look to be plenty better that both Origins and Homecoming, all the more unbearable thats its not coming out till february in the UK.
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5  Edited By Ping5000

Dug the game a lot; the game actually made a surprising amount of sense once I reached the ending. All the strangeness, all the mementos, and the rest of the surreal stuff really came together by the end of it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Can all of you give your finishing times?

Does the game display the time you used for your playthrough? Is there some sort of New Game+?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PureRok

I'll probably be getting this for Christmas. I can't wait to see what the game thinks of me psychologically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most Reveiws seem to complain about the lack of combat, but I liked the fact it didn't have any. Only one of the Nightmare sequences annoyed me, but that was because I kept going around in circles unsure where to go. The game isn't very long, but it's paced perfectly. Took probably about 6-7 hours maybe? It seems like I'll be playing this game through again soon enough, no New Game+ as far as I can tell but answering the psycological questions different will give different results in the game.

This game is still stuck in my head, I'm still thinking of what I finished playing last night. I played the game in two sittings in the dead of night, it'd seem a bit wrong to play in the middle of the day! All this and i'm not even a Silent hill fan, I'd played about 10 minutes of Silent Hill and even less of Silent Hill 2. Pick up the game, it'll stay in your head once you finish it.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darkstar614

It doesn't seem like it's a new game+, but you can save the game after the credits, and that save starts a new game. It seems like that's more of a "here you can start over without making a new file" kind of thing, more than a continuation of your previous game.

There isn't a game timer unfortunately, but it didn't seem longer than what laserfrog said. 6 hours seems about right, and that depends how long you spend on each puzzle and chase sequence.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meowayne

I've reached the 7 hour mark today, and it looks like I still have a good hour or more to go, and I am already 100% sure that I will go through this game at least twice. I cannot imagine anyone not going through this game twice. There are so many "what if..." moments.

And holy god damn at the storytelling and atmosphere. I don't know what the Nintendo Power guy was doing wrong, but this game is definatly scary. Not horrifying and wretching like the first three games, and most of the times it is more moody and unsettling than scary, and there are literally no "boo!"-scares (which is great, as these are cheap), but still. I have been  playing this game only late in the evening / at night, accompanied by the lady, and with a little, darkish light on in the room, and this game definatly gets into my head. (Though moreso into hers ;D)
    I would think the best word to describe this game is chilling, but as this would make the Konami marketing dudes' heads explode, I will refrain from doing that. 

I cannot wait to see how everything turns out. We have our little theories and images and organizing of the more obvious themes, but I don't think I have ever been anticipating a game ending as much as with this one. 

Outstanding game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

It bothered me that Gametrailers said this wasn't "real survival horror" because there wasn't any combat. I don't think people know what survival horror is supposed to be anymore. Fatal Frame never had combat, Clocktower had very little combat, etc etc. 
    Im gonna have to borrow my sister's Wii and try this out.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By agentboolen

I just hope they give correct inverted controls!!!  I'm still waiting for the Xbox 360 game to be updated with a fix to there screwed up inverted camera!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael
    @Darkstar614 said:

"6 hours seems about right, and that depends how long you spend on each puzzle and chase sequence."

6 hours? Looks like I won't buy it for quite some time... the game seems great, but I'm not paying anywhere near full price for a 6 hour game. 

By the way, a question: Do you have to use the Wiimote speaker in this game? Most Wii games switch speaker audio to TV output when you turn the Wiimote's volume all the way down, but this didn't seem to do that in the Quick Look. I play with headphones, and it would be really annoying if I missed out on certain audio because the developers are too lazy to program stuff like that. 

@ryanwho said:
    " It bothered me that Gametrailers said this wasn't "real survival horror" because there wasn't any combat. I don't think people know what survival horror is supposed to be anymore. Fatal Frame never had combat, Clocktower had very little combat, etc etc. Im gonna have to borrow my sister's Wii and try this out. "
    To be fair, the Fatal Frame games have combat. Really unorthodox combat, sure, but combat nonetheless. Gametrailers are still wrong though. Survival horror isn't about combat. It's about... well, survival horror.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
    @Icemael said:
    " @Darkstar614 said:
    "6 hours seems about right, and that depends how long you spend on each puzzle and chase sequence."
    6 hours? Looks like I won't buy it for quite some time... the game seems great, but I'm not paying anywhere near full price for a 6 hour game. 

By the way, a question: Do you have to use the Wiimote speaker in this game? Most Wii games switch speaker audio to TV output when you turn the Wiimote's volume all the way down, but this didn't seem to do that in the Quick Look. I play with headphones, and it would be really annoying if I missed out on certain audio because the developers are too lazy to program stuff like that. "
    I don't see how its lazy for them to insist on the experience they consider most ambient.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne

---> "I've reached the 7 hour mark today, and it looks like I still have a good hour or more to go, and I am already 100% sure that I will go through this game at least twice. I cannot imagine anyone not going through this game twice."

Do you have to use the Wiimote speaker in this game?

Nope. You can switch the phone audio to normal game audio output.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darkstar614

Maybe 6 hours is a bit short, but honestly I don't think just making this game like say 12 hours would help it at all. Doing more than 6 hours of that gameplay/storytelling doesn't seem like it would work at all. It seems like the game itself is just the right length. But for Price per hours, this game is definitely at a bad ratio if that's how you want to look at it. Still a great game regardless. 

And technically if you want to factor in the 4 different endings and and the bonus 5th one that requires a 2nd playthrough, the game's length increases quite a bit.

Edit: seems like the wiimote speaker question was already answered. I kind of agree though that its the way it should be. It makes it feel like an actual phone most of the time.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

I would say insisting this game is "just 6 hours long" is like saying Way of the Samurai is only a half hour long. Assuming these choices have as much impact as they would appear.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icemael
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "By the way, a question: Do you have to use the Wiimote speaker in this game? Most Wii games switch speaker audio to TV output when you turn the Wiimote's volume all the way down, but this didn't seem to do that in the Quick Look. I play with headphones, and it would be really annoying if I missed out on certain audio because the developers are too lazy to program stuff like that. "
    I don't see how its lazy for them to insist on the experience they consider most ambient. "
    TV output is just an option. Forcing players to use the Wiimote's janky speaker and thereby preventing them from using headphones(which allow for the most ambient sound by far) would have been very lazy.

@Meowayne said:
    "  

---> "I've reached the 7 hour mark today, and it looks like I still have a good hour or more to go, and I am already 100% sure that I will go through this game at least twice. I cannot imagine anyone not going through this game twice.""
    7-8 hours is still far too short. I'm all for quality over quantity -- I was more than satisfied with the 12 hour long Dead Space, which I purchased at full price -- but there's a line, and if a game is shorter than 10 hours, it crosses that line. 

Great to hear that there's an option for regular audio output, though. Had that not been possible, there's a possibility I would've completely lost interest in the game.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunExplosions

Does it keep that awesome original Silent Hill creepiness? That's all I care about.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowayne
    @Icemael said:

7-8 hours is still far too short. I'm all for quality over quantity -- I was more than satisfied with the 12 hour long Dead Space, which I purchased at full price -- but there's a line, and if a game is shorter than 10 hours, it crosses that line.  Great to hear that there's an option for regular audio output, though. Had that not been possible, there's a possibility I would've completely lost interest in the game. "

I don't understand that sort of thinking. The impact of the game and the hours it stays "with" you should count into that. I don't know how many hours I've put into Halo3 or Oblivion, but those games I feel are less "worth" the money than a really good and well-written piece of interactive drama such as this game, even though one actual playthrough might not be more than 6 hours. Portal is 3 hours, and each of these hours is easily worth 15 bucks.  Silent Hill 2 wasn't significantly longer, but I've had fun with playing this game and with having played that game for many years now.
    And again, I don't see how anyone could not play through Shattered Memories at least twice. 

And in the end, if you play a short game and feel like you're really done with it when you've seen the end - sell it. It was a short game, it's good as new, it hasn't lost much of its value, and you get a good deal of your money back.  It's like buying a ticket for a 8-hour theatre production that allows infinite replays and people attending and can be sold after you're done with it.

I wish there was a payment model that automatically transfers money to the developers depending on the quality of the experience you have. :D
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By demontium
    @laserfrog said:
    " I really liked it. I was hooked from the minute it started, the atmosphere, the phone calls through the wii remote everything I thought this game was utterly brilliant. At times I hated the monster sequences I thought those could have been better but other than that I can't think of a game that has left me thinking as much as this game does. "
    I had similar impressions, except I wished it was longer.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meowayne
    @FunExplosions said:
    " Does it keep that awesome original Silent Hill creepiness? That's all I care about. "
    No - and yes. More moody, less creepy, though still great for the same reasons and design choices.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Driadon
    @Icemael: Sorry to say, but you have to use that speaker. It's one of the few complaints I had with the game.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowayne
    @Driadon said:
    " @Icemael: Sorry to say, but you have to use that speaker. It's one of the few complaints I had with the game. "
    Not true. Press 1, options, the last option lets you use the normal audio output instead of the Wiimote speaker.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Driadon
    @Meowayne: ...wait... I missed that option throughout the whole game?! Goddammit.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:
    "I don't understand that sort of thinking. The impact of the game and the hours it stays "with" you should count into that. I don't know how many hours I've put into Halo3 or Oblivion, but those games I feel are less "worth" the money than a really good and well-written piece of interactive drama such as this game, even though one actual playthrough might not be more than 6 hours."
    I know exactly what you're talking about, and I agree with you... as long as the game in question is more than 10 hours long. I feel a bit hypocritical seeing as I can't understand people who say things like "long RPGs are the only games that are worth full price", but I just can't be completely satisfied with a full-priced game that's less than 10 hours long, regardless of quality.

@Meowayne said:
    "And in the end, if you play a short game and feel like you're really done with it when you've seen the end - sell it. It was a short game, it's good as new, it hasn't lost much of its value, and you get a good deal of your money back."
    I never, ever sell games unless they are complete garbage. Sooner or later I'm just going to regret it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Hailinel
    @Icemael said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "By the way, a question: Do you have to use the Wiimote speaker in this game? Most Wii games switch speaker audio to TV output when you turn the Wiimote's volume all the way down, but this didn't seem to do that in the Quick Look. I play with headphones, and it would be really annoying if I missed out on certain audio because the developers are too lazy to program stuff like that. "
    I don't see how its lazy for them to insist on the experience they consider most ambient. "
    TV output is just an option. Forcing players to use the Wiimote's janky speaker and thereby preventing them from using headphones(which allow for the most ambient sound by far) would have been very lazy.

@Meowayne said:
    "  

---> "I've reached the 7 hour mark today, and it looks like I still have a good hour or more to go, and I am already 100% sure that I will go through this game at least twice. I cannot imagine anyone not going through this game twice.""
    7-8 hours is still far too short. I'm all for quality over quantity -- I was more than satisfied with the 12 hour long Dead Space, which I purchased at full price -- but there's a line, and if a game is shorter than 10 hours, it crosses that line.  Great to hear that there's an option for regular audio output, though. Had that not been possible, there's a possibility I would've completely lost interest in the game. "
    There are games that use the Wii Remote speaker to great effect.  Sylvia's phone calls in No More Heroes were fantastic in their hilarity, and holding the remote up to my ear like a phone made was both engrossing and amusing.  Even Red Steel, as poor a game is it was, made some inventive use of the speaker in multiplayer by occasionally sending the players calls and telling them which player they were tasked with killing.  I think that the way the remote is used in Shattered Memories is both a good use of the speaker and appropriate for the context of the game.

And as for the game's length, it may take 6-8 hours to beat, but then again, you're not likely to experience the exact same game twice if you continue to make different decisions throughout in multiple playthroughs.  I have yet to dig deep into my copy, but I'm looking forward to seeing how much difference there can be.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meowayne

Icemael: Eh, can't argue with that, but I really, really urge you to give this game a chance as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. :) Listen to the latest Bombcast as well.  Bradley had some interesting things to say about his experience with the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.