Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

An icy re-imagining of the classic Silent Hill, which trades weapons for frantic chase sequences as the player tries desperately to flee pursuing enemies. It takes on more of an adventure game format than traditional survival-horror.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories sound bug

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

This game is freaking awesome. I'm really into the quiet, lonely atmosphere, and the chase bits aren't half as bad as i thought they would be. Climax have WHIPPED the Wii! This game looks and feels absolutely amazing! Best bit yet has been simply handing the controllers to my non-gamer girlfriend and see her handle the look/move system almost immediately, while she has struggled with dual-stick setups in the past. I guess the addition of a pointer makes it less abstract? 

The only problem I've had though is kind of big. Early on in my first play, at the bit where you shake the cans around to find the key, at first i got lost and couldn't find the cans, so i paced around for a while. Suddenly the sound started going really weird on me, and i'm not talking Silent Hill weird, i'm talking WRONG weird. For a while i was apologizing for it to my girl, saying oh hey, you know, sometimes Silent Hill games will fuck with the sound to fuck with your head, but after it kept screaming at me even during the diner cutscene i had to admit something was definitely wrong. Like it would randomly play the sample of Harry yelling for Cheryl, pitched up, over absolutely ear-shattering bursts of noise. I have never heard shit like this come out of the Wii before. Just shrill, digital clipping, repeated looping samples played wrongly. Nuts. Pausing the game stopped it, though resuming the game kicked it right back in. I did a bunch of testing with other games to make sure it wasn't my amp messing with me, and when i rebooted the game it didn't happen again. 

Anyone else have this happen on the Wii? With this game or others? It's the single craziest sound bug I've ever come across.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

This game is freaking awesome. I'm really into the quiet, lonely atmosphere, and the chase bits aren't half as bad as i thought they would be. Climax have WHIPPED the Wii! This game looks and feels absolutely amazing! Best bit yet has been simply handing the controllers to my non-gamer girlfriend and see her handle the look/move system almost immediately, while she has struggled with dual-stick setups in the past. I guess the addition of a pointer makes it less abstract? 

The only problem I've had though is kind of big. Early on in my first play, at the bit where you shake the cans around to find the key, at first i got lost and couldn't find the cans, so i paced around for a while. Suddenly the sound started going really weird on me, and i'm not talking Silent Hill weird, i'm talking WRONG weird. For a while i was apologizing for it to my girl, saying oh hey, you know, sometimes Silent Hill games will fuck with the sound to fuck with your head, but after it kept screaming at me even during the diner cutscene i had to admit something was definitely wrong. Like it would randomly play the sample of Harry yelling for Cheryl, pitched up, over absolutely ear-shattering bursts of noise. I have never heard shit like this come out of the Wii before. Just shrill, digital clipping, repeated looping samples played wrongly. Nuts. Pausing the game stopped it, though resuming the game kicked it right back in. I did a bunch of testing with other games to make sure it wasn't my amp messing with me, and when i rebooted the game it didn't happen again. 

Anyone else have this happen on the Wii? With this game or others? It's the single craziest sound bug I've ever come across.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Weird.  I've had problems like that, one that my SO didn't like so much in a later version of Derek Yu/Black Eye Software's Diabolika.  It already had creepy music, but sometimes the music would glitch out and sound like the computer was possessed until the music cycled over again.  I think it had something to do with buffers but I'm not technically proficient enough to figure it out.  

Maybe there was a software pointer problem that you stumbled on, but if you never repeat it I guess it was just some random, misplaced bit that messed it up.  :)

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Whisperkill

It's totally just the game...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.