Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

An icy re-imagining of the classic Silent Hill, which trades weapons for frantic chase sequences as the player tries desperately to flee pursuing enemies. It takes on more of an adventure game format than traditional survival-horror.

So, which ending did you get? Was it satisfying? (SPOILERS!)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

I have just completed my second run through the game, and - again - got the "Love Lost" ending, albeit with a slightly different prelude. 

SPOILERS FOLLOW. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I WILL DESCRIBE EACH ENDING VERSION IN DETAIL.

----

So, which ending combination did you get, and did you feel that it was a fitting conclusion to the story? There are three different preludes (that I know of) and five different endings(videotapes), but I will exclude the UFO ending, as nobody will get that the first time around. 

Prelude - Bad+

Harry enters Dr. K's office and kneels down to Cheryl. She expresses her gratitude that he's been there for her, they embrace, Cheryl cries, fade to black. Harry's memory does not shatter, Cheryl continues her delusion.

Prelude - Good

Harry enters Dr. K's office and kneels down to Cheryl. She doesn't seem to know where to go from here. Harry says: "Forget me" and slowly freezes over. Fade to black. 

Prelude - Bad

Harry enters Dr. K's office and kneels down to Cheryl. He tries to go near her, but she slaps his hand back in anger, saying that she will stop blaming herself for her death. Harry says "forget me", freezes over and falls into pieces. Fade to black.

ENDING 1 - LOVE LOST

The videotape shows Harry entering his car before the crash. He and Dahlia start having a fight, but Harry turns away to Cheryl, saying that he will always love her and that her parent's divorce is not her fault.

ENDING 2 - DRUNK DAD

The videotape shows Harry coming home one night, completely drunk. He talks nonsense into Cheryl's camera then falls over, saying that with such a family, it's no wonder he drinks.

ENDING 3 - SLEAZE AND SIRENS

The videotape shows Harry having "borrowed" Cheryl's camera and about to film himself, "the famous author" in bed with a nurse named Lisa and a "prom queen" named Michelle. 

ENDING 4 - WICKED AND WEAK

The videotape shows Harry and Dahlia having a fight. Dahlia repeatedly slaps and insults Harry, saying that he is a failure as an author and as a person, and that he should "man up". He silently  looks into the camera in shame and disgust.

I myself am not entirely happy with some of the ending combinations, especially the "bad+" prelude with the "Love Lost" ending which I got in my second run (the first run was "Good" and "Lost Lost"). 
    Harry freezing over is such a powerful scene that I think it's a shame many people won't even see it in their first (and maybe only) playthrough. The same goes for the "Love Lost" videotape, which is just so tame and boring that I would guess many of the bad reviews come from reviewers who got this ending. 

I mean, it's great that if the player plays Harry as a gentleman, he actually ISN'T a failure or an embarrassment at the end, but it somehow weakens the entire point of the game. I wish I had got the "Weak and Wicked" ending in my second, more "personal" playthrough, especially since the game truthfully analyzed me as someone who "avoids confrontation"

Speaking of which, was your final assessment accurate? I have seen the game analyse myself and my girlfriend. The latter was extremely, scarily accurate, my own assessment got some very personal things very right, but was also a little off on others. (But this may be because it was my second run through the game and I did not play as I might've had would it have been my first)

I'm really interested in your outcomes, for those who have seen one.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

hey the UFO one is awesome I laughed so hard seeing it

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By mracoon

So which one of these endings was the amazing one that Brad was talking about because none of them seem as crazy as he made out.

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By yeahno

I watched my brother play. He got the good ending, but couldn't remember a videotape...
    For him Cheryl leaves Dr. K's office and meets a female (possibly her girlfriend?) and they walk away into the darkness or something like that.
    This could totally be for everyone though. I just don't remember there being a videotape sequence. (Maybe there was and I just forgot.)

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

You got it all wrong. If Harry DOES NOT freeze and shatter, it's the worst ending. Cheryl does not thank him for being with her, she just stays delusional about her father's death, refusing to believe that he wasn't a supernatural, flawless knight in shining armor, making the sessions pointless (he even says "I'm not even a ghost"). The "Good+" ending is when Harry says that he'll always be with Cheryl and then disappears, because that means that his daughter finally came to terms with his death.

@yeahno said:

" For him Cheryl leaves Dr. K's office and meets a female (possibly her girlfriend?) and they walk away into the darkness or something like that. "

It's her mom.

@mracoon said:

" So which one of these endings was the amazing one that Brad was talking about because none of them seem as crazy as he made out. "

Just look at that "Cheryl" part all over the place. It's not Harry talking to the psychiatrist, it's his daughter. That's a pretty damn good twist if you ask me - also, the execution is awfully good, because there's no making a big fuss about it and it's a bit hinted throughout the game.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne

yeahno:

Oh that's right! We saw Cheryl leaving the clinic with Dahlia in my first playthrough as well. Interesting. I wonder what determines whether you see that part or not?

But there had to have been a tape, there is always a tape at the end, showing a side of Harry / her parents that Cheryl didn't want to see. Either Harry being drunk, or cheating, or parting with his wife, or being a failure.

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yeahno
    @mracoon said:
    " So which one of these endings was the amazing one that Brad was talking about because none of them seem as crazy as he made out. "

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne

Ghostiest: I thought about that as well. I guess the "bad" effect of that particular version of their encounter was lessened by the fact that the "love lost" tape  followed.

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yeahno
    @Meowayne said:

" yeahno:  Oh that's right! We saw Cheryl leaving the clinic with Dahlia in my first playthrough as well. Interesting. I wonder what determines whether you see that part or not?  But there had to have been a tape, there is always a tape at the end, showing a side of Harry / her parents that Cheryl didn't want to see. Either Harry being drunk, or cheating, or parting with his wife, or being a failure. "

Oh it was Dahlia? Man, my memory must be worse than I thought. I will just blame it on the fact that Dahlia kept switching up on my brother.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

I got the Good and Love Lost ending on my first play-through. I started my second run, but I wish I would have answered the questions at the first counseling session different, oh well, looks like I'll finish the second and go for a third.

The final analysis of me was pretty good, but I played it safe during the game. At the end of the analysis, it was noted that the patient should restart therapy from the beginning.

I was very satisfied by the ending, but even knowing the story, I still felt compelled to journey back into the game. That's a rarity for me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @mracoon said:
    I think it's more the fact that Cheryl is the patient and not Harry, as well as the way that the whole game plays around with your head and also symbolizes the struggles that Cheryl is having.
    Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Aska

I just beat it moments ago, and had to write about it somewhere.  I got the Good prelude, and Love Lost ending.  The assessment at the end couldn't have been more scarily close.  A few parts were off a bit but oh my god, so many things hit the nail on the head for me.  What a feeling...

This game has blown my mind.  I can't actually express how I feel right now.  The accuracy at which is explained certain parts of my personality is so high that I'm actually kind of freaked out.  I also have no intention of going back for another playthrough, as others seem to.

I'm thankful that Giantbomb led me to this game, I'm certainly not going to forget it anytime soon.

ITgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ITgeek

I got a slightly different prelude; Harry kneels down next to Cheryl and says something like; "I've allways been with you". Cheryl hugs him and he then turns to ice. Is mine somewhere between the good and bad endings?

Other than that, I got the love lost ending. Which in my opinion, looks to be the better outcome from what I am reading here.

QAska; My Psych profile was also very close

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GunnBjorn

Well, i'm obviously the sexmaniac.
    SLEAZE AND SIRENS was my ending... 
    It was a fun ride, but i'm not going to play the game again just to see the other endings.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne
    @ITgeek said:
    " I got a slightly different prelude; Harry kneels down next to Cheryl and says something like; "I've allways been with you". Cheryl hugs him and he then turns to ice. Is mine somewhere between the good and bad endings?  Other than that, I got the love lost ending. Which in my opinion, looks to be the better outcome from what I am reading here.  QAska; My Psych profile was also very close "
    Yes, after watching a few more versions on youtube, it seems that the prelude itself is divided into different parts that can change, Harry's last line for example. So "I've always been with you" and "Forget me" don't seem to be tied to one particular version of Cheryl's reaction / Harry freezing.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Afroman269

UFO ending is the greatest.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turbomonkey138

It Doesn't came out until next year ?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Driadon
    @ITgeek: Welcome to the forums! Yeah, I got that same prelude and the Love Lost ending as well with a psyche profile that was eerily close, with some aspects ripped straight from my childhood.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman

I got the regular good prelude if I remember right. I know for sure he froze over. and I don't remember her slapping his hand away. To be honest I don't remember much of the end video. If I had to guess I think it was the Love Lost ending though. I don't think any of the other endings sound familiar at all. I was somewhat satisfied with the ending. I didn't think it was a mind blowing moment though like Brad.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aska
    @Meowayne said:
    " @ITgeek said:
    " I got a slightly different prelude; Harry kneels down next to Cheryl and says something like; "I've allways been with you". Cheryl hugs him and he then turns to ice. Is mine somewhere between the good and bad endings?  Other than that, I got the love lost ending. Which in my opinion, looks to be the better outcome from what I am reading here.  QAska; My Psych profile was also very close "
    Yes, after watching a few more versions on youtube, it seems that the prelude itself is divided into different parts that can change, Harry's last line for example. So "I've always been with you" and "Forget me" don't seem to be tied to one particular version of Cheryl's reaction / Harry freezing. "
    I thought it was weird that I didn't remember Harry saying "Forget me".  He said "I've always been with you".  That was the version I got.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

*running away from all the spoilers*

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#22  Edited By vigorousjammer

I got the bad prelude and the Wicked and Weak ending... the ending analysis was extremely accurate for me.

I also didn't think the twist was all that crazy... and before Harry walks in the door at the end, I totally saw it coming.
    I definitely agree with Brad's 4/5, but Wii game of the year? I just don't know about that.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Enns

I got the ending where Harry Kneels down and says " I've always been with you" Then freezes. I got the Love Lost prelude but they didn't argue, she says to be careful. 
     The ending was great, things were rapidly put in place for me was a great experience. 

Also didn't anyone else connect the fact that the Doc's creepy looks and smirks might be because you were a young woman the whole time?
    I mean if you think about it his tone and looks were always weird and creepy right?
     Think back to his tone when you answered questions about your ideals or views. Think back to his expressions and tone when it was about sexual stuff
    I wonder if we had a disconnect and just thought of him a s creepy guy when in fact it's an older man interacting with a younger woman.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowayne

After a little bit of research, I found that Ghostiet is right, of course: Harry not freezing over is a bad ending and meant as a continuing of Cheryl's delusions, as emphasized in the fact that the "She leaves the clinic with her mother" scene is missing, and the fact that she does not look at any of the mementos in the very last scene.  

Though I still think that scene could've been done better and more elaborate. The whole therapy session was pointless and Harry continues to exist in that way - this is a huge deal.

What determines the version of the prelude you get is how much you call phone numbers and explore the environment and collect mementos during the game. 

So depending on how much interest and time you invested in discovering Cheryl's memories will influence whether Harry freezes over and on what terms that happens (I've always been with you vs. Someone has to take the blame / Forget me)

The Harry-not-freezing-over ending (bad+) you only get when you show the least interest in Cheryl's memories, rarely call phone numbers etc. 
    I like that because the smallest number of players will get that ending in their first playthrough.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Blubba

I got the part of Harry kneeling saying "I've always been there." and then freezing over. Dahlia does not leave with Chery or appear at the office.  

I got the sex fiend ending with Michelle and Lisa in bed with Harry, which I thought was really well done. The therapist says something to the effect of "...your mother is actually a good person.", which makes sense because in Cheryl's fantasies, Dahlia is made out to be a whore, while Michelle and Lisa appear to be the good people.

Iceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Iceland

The way the preludes / endings stuff works out, it feels like the game has multiple multiple endings. (If that makes any sense, we might need a new concept page) I got the "I've always been there" and freezing over prelude followed by the "Love Lost" ending and her putting away the mementos. I was really moved by it and didn't figure out it was Cheryl talking to Dr. K until I was outside the lighthouse. 

It really shocked me and almost brought me to tears, which then turned into a cold feeling of self-realization when the game spat out a detailed character profile of me. It was one of the most satisfying endings to a game that I've experienced and in that aspect it beat out Silent Hill 2 which I got the "Good" ending and felt a little underwhelmed. (Although I thought the "twist" in SH2 was better) 

What is the deal with the glasses though? What does it mean if Dhalia takes them off you or leaves them on?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowayne

She leaves them on for some people? I don't think I have seen or heard of a version where you keep your glasses.

Doubt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Doubt

i got the the good prelude(?) where dad comes in reaches for her she doesnt slap the hand away but doesnt accept it and then harry says "forget me"  then shatters.

then i got the drunk dad in my first ending....., i think ill maybe play it again even though it feels like a one time thing... 

The final profile analyzes was pretty damn accurate, im really curious on how that works and if the analyzes are completley different each time or just a general personality traits...really interested on how that all works..... maybe they measure how u play the game ... :\ 

good game good game i understand why its wii goty.

dastly75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dastly75

Got the Good Prelude with the WIcked and Weak Ending...game makes you think....

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowayne
    @sidescroller said:
    " I got a prelude that I don't think anybody else got? 
    Yeah, my OP isn't quite correct, there are all kinds of different combinations of the last conversation, Harry (not) freezing over, Cheryl (not) leaving with Dahlia, and Cheryl (not) putting away the mementos, all depending on how and how much you showed interest in Cheryls past (mementos, phone calls, numbers, comments) and, of course, how you played Harry.

Brilliant, brilliant game.
    fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By fuzzyponken

I just finished it. I thought the ending was pretty boring. I had already figured out hours ago that it probably wasn't Harry with the psychiatrist, but most likely Cheryl, so that came as no surprise. I hadn't really realized until now that all the mementos and phone calls and stuff had to do with Cheryl's life - kind of makes me wish I had payed more attention. But I suppose another playthrough is in order. 

My ending was as follows: 
    Harry just walked in and Cheryl said something along the lines of "Why did you have to die?" and Harry turned into ice and broke apart. Then a cut scene where he was leaving his wife and told Cheryl not to film them.  

Slightly disappointing, to be honest. I was hoping there'd be something absolutely horrific that had happened. Cheryl just not wanting to deal with her father's death seemed kind of tame compared to the foul shit I was imagining. 

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Kr3lian

Just finished...wow.  Along the lines of fuzzyponken, I was expecting something truly creepy (eg. Harry killed his daughter by brutally raping her or something like that), so the real ending had a very unusual twist for me.  I didn't guess it was Cheryl until the final reveal, although I suspected that Harry did actually die at some point. 

What a fantastic game, and it is truly a shame that so few people have played it.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By AURON570

I haven't personally played the game but I did watch a playthrough of it on Youtube. The person who uploaded it got the wicked and weak ending. For the prelude he got: Harry enters and kneels to Cheryl. Cheryl says "you've been with me for so long". Harry says something like "I'll always be." Harry stands up and freezes. Cheryl beings to cry and fades out. 

Such a great ending. The analysis at the end didn't really hit me as hard since I wasn't the one playing it ;D. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By AndrewB

It was Earth all along!!

As much as I love all the multiple ways in which things can play out, it feels a little weird never having a "true" and happy ending. Each one of them is depressing in their own way, so a little part of me that is so used to the way things are usually done in Video Games (having many multiple "bad" endings, and one "true" ending), makes me sort of hate all of them. But then, it's also what I love about Shattered Memories. That, and the twist that it's Cheryl in the psychiatrist's office, while not being a particularly groundbreaking style of plot twist, was still pretty awesome.

I really hope Climax gets to make another Silent Hill game, because I'd really love to see where they take things. First awesome Silent Hill game since... well, I never played 3, but I hear a lot of good things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.