Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

An icy re-imagining of the classic Silent Hill, which trades weapons for frantic chase sequences as the player tries desperately to flee pursuing enemies. It takes on more of an adventure game format than traditional survival-horror.

There is NO SHOCKING TWIST. Don't expect one. (Spoiler-free)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne
    Edit: Maybe I didn't express myself very well: I love the game. Love it love it love it. It's fantastic. The ending is fantastic as well. By all means, buy it!  I also have nothing against Brad. If anything, I'm glad about this rare instance of the GB crew trying out a Wii game and seeing its merits.

Ever since the Game of the Year awards and the bombcasts, this keeps getting brought up: People going into this game because they want to know the "huge shocking twist ending" that Brad keeps talking about. 

Now Brad might've gotten one of the "bad" ending variations that are more effective emotionally than others, but in many cases, you will not have a huge shocking revelation in the end. 

I cannot stress this enough. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Shattered Memories is no 6th Sense, no Fight Club, no Usual Suspects. 

If you didn't already guess one or both of the two "twists" the game reveals at the end (and throughout the game, really), that's fine. Must've been a nice surprise. And the ending is really, really well done and will make you play from the beginning. 

But please, don't expect a huge game changer and mind-blowing sequence. It's very much more subtle, silent and un-spectacular than you might expect.

Enjoy the ending and the game for what it is. Don't play it because Brad keeps yabbing about how completely blown away he seems to have been by the ending. In most cases, and with the seemingly most popular and most frequent ending version, this will not be the case.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

I don't know, it blew my mind. I think Brad was entirely justified in what he said. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai

Sounds like someone doesn't like Brad.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

Because you weren't blown away doesn't mean someone else won't be, let them find out for themselves =/

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

Aren't you the guy that thought that the worse ending in the game is the best one?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne
    @Ineedaname said:

" Because you weren't blown away doesn't mean someone else won't be, let them find out for themselves =/ "

No, I loved the ending. I thought it was very effective. But there seem to be a good deal of people getting into this game just to be blown away by the ending. And in many cases they won't be. People are setting themselves up for disappointment.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

Why do you hate the shoemaker? :( 

*crai*

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    @Ghostiet said:

" Aren't you the guy that thought that the worse ending in the game is the best one? "

How are different mood interpretations relevant to this thread?
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Meowayne said:

" @Ineedaname said:

" Because you weren't blown away doesn't mean someone else won't be, let them find out for themselves =/ "

No, I loved the ending. I thought it was very effective. But there seem to be a good deal of people getting into this game just to be blown away by the ending. And in many cases they won't be. People are setting themselves up for disappointment. "
    But in some cases they might be, and maybe some of the people who read this thread and don't by the game would have been blown away, but now they'll never know.

And now anyone who does read this and is playing the game is going to be skeptical about the ending, effectively meaning you've probably ruined any impact it would have had.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Meowayne: You are talking all the time how Brad got one of the "bad" endings. That's relevant. You didn't interpret the mood badly, you just did not understand the endings at all. It hardly makes you credible to talk about SHOCKING TWISTS.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

If Brad got one of the bad endings, what's wrong with saying so? I haven't played this game and I don't know how it is but it was pretty easy to know which is the good and which the bad ending in Silent Hill. In the bad, bad shit happened. In the good, it was a somewhat happy ending. I got the bad ending the first time, there's nothing wrong with saying that, it doesn't put people who get the bad ending down or anything.

SILENT HILL 1 SPOILERS:

Just the brief CG mind you, none of the in game stuff and build up, so it probably won't make sense to people who haven't played it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowayne

There's a clear line between the LL-ending and the others. That's all I'm talking about, and it's not a question how to interpret one of the preludes. 

Do you agree with the notion that Shattered Memories offers a huge, shocking and mind blowing surprise for everyone at the end? Because judging from many comments in the last week, this is the impression many people have, going into this game. "Dude, I wanna be blown away". "Dude, please tell me the ending, I wanna know".

Most people I have read talking about that game (and that's many, not only here) have guessed or suspected the twist way, way before the end. It is not a very effective "shock ending", nor does it appear to have been meant as one!

Going into this game because you want your mind blown by a shock ending will reduce many gamer's ultimate enjoyment of this game.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I thought the storytelling and the ending were very well done. Too bad the "game" part was a bit of a disaster. Definitely worth playing, though.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @Meowayne: good luck dealing with all the hate... 

I will experiment the game next week. But thanks for the warning!
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne

I added a small disclaimer to the OT. Maybe I sounded harsher than I wanted to.

Paboned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Paboned

I think anyone that hasnt played it yet will be disappointed cause of the hype from brads description of how emotionally impactful the ending is. I find that this is usually the case if i read reviews and play a game. I much rather just look at the score to see if its good and discover the actual game for myself.

AndyC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By AndyC

I beat it yesterday, I guess I was too immersed into the game to really even guess the ending cause I for some reason never came to that conclusion, but when it happened I was like, "OH COURSE!". It was a surprise, but not amazingly shocking.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By fr0br0

I dunno, I read the plot on Wikipedia and thought "Oh crap, if I had a Wii, I probably would have shit bricks."

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I had a "Oh Snap!" moment. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By EpicSteve

How long is this game?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne
    @EpicSteve said:
    " How long is this game? "
    It will take you between 7 and 10 hours to play through once, most people play it through at least twice, a speedrun of the game can be completed in 2 hours, and you will think about it for a couple of weeks. :)
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Geno

That's good to know. I was a bit leery of Brad's enthusiasm for the ending. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By ArchScabby

Oh well, I still want to restart my gamefly account and borrow my sisters Wii so I can play it.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CommodoreGroovy
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I wasn't completely blown away, but when the twist happened I thought, "Oh, so THAT'S actually what's going on!"

AndyC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By AndyC
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27  Edited By DrRandle
    @Meowayne: I disagree entirely, I found my ending to be a complete blind-side. I think you're just a little too jaded.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, when it comes down to it, I think Ryan nailed it on the head in the podcast. I'm not sure, had I not read up on the ending of the game, that I would have ever had the slightest thought of actually playing the game. But the mere description of the ending alone has convinced me to play through the title, despite never actually having forced myself through a Silent Hill game in the past.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

i dunno it was a good game but i guessed the ending about 3 hours in.
    Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
    @Ineedaname said:
    "@Meowayne said:

" @Ineedaname said:

No, I loved the ending. I thought it was very effective. But there seem to be a good deal of people getting into this game just to be blown away by the ending. And in many cases they won't be. People are setting themselves up for disappointment. "
    But in some cases they might be, and maybe some of the people who read this thread and don't by the game would have been blown away, but now they'll never know.  And now anyone who does read this and is playing the game is going to be skeptical about the ending, effectively meaning you've probably ruined any impact it would have had. "
    not necessarily. if anything their expectations will be lowered and the ending will be that much more impactful as a result.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jakob187

I haven't played the game...just read the ending stuff on Wikipedia...and I've gotta say...my mind was blown just from reading it.  So, I don't know.

Iceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Iceland

The end totally caught me by surprise, but I wasn't guessing or thinking too hard about it. Just went through the experience... I loved it and gonna go through it 3 or 4 more times I think

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Blubba

I agree with the OP. The ending was great but nothing too shocking, but the way it was executed was great. 

Also, if you know going in that there is some sort of "twist" but not exactly what it is, you will eventually figure it out on your own. Or at least, I did.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus

Wow, why would you hate Brad? Jerk.

SolracFB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolracFB

I agree that it is better for people to not set their expectations too high because the ending may impact different people in different ways, and no matter what it is certainly not the second coming of Christ. 

In my case I thought it was great. The moment everything is revealed i was like "Oh snap", but it wasn't until a few minutes later when I started to remember everything under the light of what I now knew and the full implications of everything I did that it struck as a full "OMG this is sick". 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB

I dunno... I thought the ending was brilliant. It's a neat little twist, but yeah, it's been done enough in other mediums to where it's probably not exactly hard to guess where the game is going (I didn't, but I can definitely see where if I were paying more attention to the actual story, I'd have picked up on it). Still, I think it's all the stuff leading up to the ending, and all the different ways in which the game can play out, that really makes it special.

And I would definitely disagree with the OP. Seeing the game played through once, seeing the ending, and then looking up different playthroughs on youtube made me want to buy this game. There are other reasons to want to, of course, but it was the ending that really pushed me over. So I'd disagree completely. I'm not sure what your expectations were, but I agree with Brad.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Undeadpool

I was actually a little pissed, cause I wasn't going in expecting a "shocking twist" until Brad brought it up...then I figured it out within 5 minutes because I knew to look for a twist. Nothing against Mr Shoemaker, of course, I just wish I'd gotten to experience the game without knowing that ahead of time.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#38  Edited By AgentJ

I don't know about you guys, but I thought it was shocking, and very well handled.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Tornac

I agree with Brad. It blew me away. I was totally shocked, because the twist came out of nowhere. If you haven't picked this game up, do it now! You won't regret it. Not just because the story's so good,but also because it's just so damn fun and enjoyable, especially when you consider it's a Wii Exclusive.

FatalError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FatalError
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't want to play the game anymore since I know what the ending twist is...

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dichemstys

God, I'm so close to the end...I WANNA KNOW

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @birdflu777 said:
    " God, I'm so close to the end...I WANNA KNOW "
    Harry Mason is Tyler Durden. 
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dichemstys
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @birdflu777 said:
    " God, I'm so close to the end...I WANNA KNOW "
    Harry Mason is Tyler Durden.  "
    ...fuck.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By fox01313
    @Meowayne:
    Haven't played it yet but heard that there's a UFO ending that can happen with a replay of the game after finishing it once. Wonder if the shocking twist is in that. Thx for putting up a spoiler free rendition on how this is one of those games where they didn't drop the ball on the writing throughout the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.