Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Hideo Kojima, Guillermo del Toro Working on New Silent Hill

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Sony briefly teased a new game called P.T. during its Gamescom press conference, but remained intentionally vague about it. The company published a playable demo as soon as the conference ended, and Twitch streamer SoapyWarPig discovered P.T.'s elusive secret: it's a teaser for a new Silent Hill game.

No Caption Provided

It's not just any Silent Hill game, though. Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, filmmaker Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim, Pan's Labyrinth), and actor Norman Reedus (Walking Dead) are all involved.

Kojima has confessed a desire to reboot Silent Hill in the past, and Guillermo del Toro has talked about his passion for video games at lengh. Del Toro was even developing a trilogy of horror games with THQ, but the series never got off the ground. It's unclear what involvement Kojima will have with this new Silent Hill, as he was a producer on Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, as well, but reportedly had little hands-on involvement with the development.

Most people are gonna flip out over this news. I want to flip out over this news (del Toro!!!!), but I'm not the biggest Kojima fan lately. But maybe it'll work out the same way as Lords of Shadow? Everyone wins? I guess?

SlackerMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love everything about this and will probably get burned for it.

EJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm hopeful!

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Kojima is an instant turn-off...

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By conmulligan

Prediction: Kojima will end up putting his name to everything Konami puts out. Peak Kojima.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Getting the final event of P.T. to trigger seems next to impossible. The whole "you have been chosen" bit makes me think there might be someone at Konami or Sony watching the streams and triggering it manually.

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like one of those "it's just crazy enough to work" kinda things. It could end up pretty amazing. I can see a reboot doing well for Silent Hill, it seems like it's kinda tried to be a whole lot lately, maybe this will make a a more focused and faithful entry.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

Yeah, that's awesome. I've been trying to get past this one section, and I can't find out how, so I quite, but not out of frustration, but out of being scared due to the womanly ghost walking behind me, and at times breathing over my shoulder when I stop, and I can't take it over and over as I try and figure out what to do next. This is already one of the scariest games I've played; usually games aren't this scary to me.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

YES

ninkendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but I'm not the biggest Kojima fan lately.

sounds like a personal problem!

Borp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am very, very excited!

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel the exact same way. Not a huge Kojima fan and I don't know how much he'll affect the game. I'll wait for reviews to hit. Not getting burned again after Downpour.

Seversk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninkendo said:

Agreed. Very much looking forward to this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima's style of storytelling and personal weirdness is exactly the sort of thing Silent Hill has been in need of. That franchise has basically been wasting way for a generation.

Silent Hill is arguably one of the most fucked up franchises in all of video games. If someone's uncomfortable with Kojima being involved in it because of that whole tapes debacle in Ground Zeroes, I feel like they should revisit some of the scenes of the Silent Hill series.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"but I'm not the biggest Kojima fan lately."

There are varying degrees of wrong. We urge you lesser forms of incorrectness. Not to push the bounds and cross over, into true corruption, into our domain.

For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see us Kojima fans, and on that day you will reap it.

And he will send you whatever game you wish.

Norman Reedus will always be a Boondock Saint before a Walking Dead guy as far as I'm concerned.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well then.

Crazy enough to work?

Avatar image for thefatdetective
    TheFatDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time in years I'm genuinely interested in Silent Hill. I would like it to be a real survival horror game but not an imitation of the old games. It will certainly be action based given the protagonist.

lanemartain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lanemartain

Call me cautiously optimistic. Kojima, del Toro, and Silent Hill have all burned me in the past, and yet I still love them, for some odd reason.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@seversk said:

@ninkendo said:

Patrick had a major beef with the design of Quiet in MGSV. Until then I remember him being alright with Kojima.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seversk said:

@ninkendo said:

Opinions! Patrick has them, we have them!

GDT is enough to get me hyped about this, even if I've never been a big MGS guy. But I'm on the fence for now before I know what role the different players will have in making the game, I could easily see GDT being more of a producer.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because at this point... why not?

carlfoster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fact: Suda51 co-direct Fatal Frame 4. From what I understand his weirdness didn't get in the way of making that a Fatal Frame ass Fatal Frame game. Wouldn't know as we never got over here, fucking Nintendo. My point is, maybe Kojima can put his weirdness aside and help produce a good ass Silent Hill game. and Del Toro I trust if he's writing it.

Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't even know what to say, I really don't. I NEED THIS.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If nothing else, Kojima at least knows how to release things. If everything Del Toro put his name on actually came out we'd never need another game, TV or movie director ever again. Kojima's involvement should inspire a lot more confidence than Del Toro's (and I fucking love Hellboy 1/2/Pan's/Pacific Rim, for the record, but the man has a terrible record of following through, as it were).

And how much fucking worse can Silent Hill possibly become? There's no way but up.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Great! I really like Silent Hill and my girlfriend is way into Norman Reedus, so I think I might play this with her. I'm pretty excited, especially to hear that Kojima is involved.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I know Silent Hill has been a consistent disappointment for a long time.. but I can't help but be insanely excited about this.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DannyHibiki

Now I just wonder if the full game will be in first person view just like this teaser. Definitely a new thing for Silent Hill....not since the first game...

Some Del Toro cinematography and design on Silent Hill sounds fantastic, and I hope he puts a lot of himself into this game. :D

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Norman Reedus will always be a Boondock Saint before a Walking Dead guy as far as I'm concerned.

On this, we can 100% agree.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Even as someone who recently played Metal Gear Solid 4 and disliked it on a multitude of levels, I am totally into the idea of Kojima making a Silent Hill game with Guillermo del Toro. Because: A. That sounds like a super bonkers crossover of creative talent (even if Kojima is just producing, Del Toro is a guy I'd like to see a game from) and B. It's not like this can be any worse than say... the last 8 or so years of Silent Hill games. The last game in that series anyone can agree on being great is SH3. Even Resident Evil has a better track record than Silent Hill.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpgeist said:

@seversk said:

@ninkendo said:

Patrick had a major beef with the design of Quiet in MGSV. Until then I remember him being alright with Kojima.

That wasn't his only problem. Patrick just seemed to think that Kojima was putting in controversial issues and not following through with them. He even said that there isn't anything wrong with the basic design (or even those tapes mentioning rape) but the context shown in the game wasn't enough to excuse them/explain why they should have been in the game at all.

This also wasn't the first time that Patrick mentioned his issues with Kojima's story-telling (I remember him mentioning it very early into joining Giantbomb in a conversation about the 4th/PS3 Metal Gear Game)

maccaibre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand you were deeply upset with Quiet's design, but I don't see how that will impact the quality of this game. It's sort of like the Chinatown dillema; Polanski was a sleeze but that doesn't mean Chinatown isn't a great film. I feel bad for Kojima with all these people hoping he has nothing to do with it, he always struck me as passionate about what he does and I'm sure he'll try to make the best game he can.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima has been putting me off for perhaps much the same reason he(and MGS) intrigued me before. This may be what Kojima needs to escape the MGS universe And it's tropes.

Meanwhile I am waiting to be profoundly crushed for what I think of Silence or Quiet, (never get her name right). Or perhaps, I'll be whipped!!!

Heheheheheyesyesyesyes.

christilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if he isn't hands on, Kojima will certainly have a hand in crafting various Silent Hills' sure to be totally ludicrous plot twists, for better or worse.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ThunderSlash

Color me interested, although footage of it looking like an Outlast clone makes me wary. Please don't be one of those first person horror games where your field of vision is a circle of light in the middle. Getting Guillermo and Reedus involved is an interesting choice though.

Please have Akira Yamaoka music.

maccaibre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash: rumours are floating around that some old team members might come back, namely Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AMyggen

Even if he isn't hands on, Kojima will certainly have a hand in crafting various Silent Hills' sure to be totally ludicrous plot twists, for better or worse.

The one thing I'm sure he'll do well if he's actually directing is the joke endings.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I can dig it.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash: rumours are floating around that some old team members might come back, i namely Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka.

I will be a very happy Silent Hill fan if that gets confirmed.

SigmaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to hope that Junji Ito is going to be involved with this in some way.

Murdoc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really hoping Silent Hills logo is real, because I love when there is nonsensical pluralization to things. Ground Zeros, Silent Hills!

More than one Silent Hill? Maybe they go into the hills of Silent Hill?! Who knows, either way, sure, this could be cool, everything is 50/50 these days no matter who is attached.

SolidOcelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I know this is probably going to be terrible in the end. But I can't help but get stupidly excited by this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Color me interested, although footage of it looking like an Outlast clone makes me wary. Please don't be one of those first person horror games where your field of vision is a circle of light in the middle. Getting Guillermo and Reedus involved is an interesting choice though.

They've got his music at the end when the title comes up. SH1 theme.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima makes me worried, Del Toro makes me excited, and I'm mostly indifferent to Norman Reedus.

I think ideal situation for me would be Kojima directing cutscenes and such (he's fantastic at directing scenes, it's just his writing that I don't like) and Del Toro designing the monsters/environments. Actually, Del Toro as writer would also be great, but I really don't think he's got the time for that given the million different things he seems to be involved in at any given moment.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even like horror games and I want this

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am excited but at the same time skeptical. I love Kojima, but I am not sure if he masters subtle underlying horror. What I base that on I am not sure. Still looking forward to this though! good news.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ThunderSlash

@theht said:

@thunderslash said:

They've got his music at the end when the title comes up. SH1 theme.

Alright, I'm fully invested in this!

shatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been a huge fan of the franchise ever since I spent a wide-eyed-in-terror sleepless night on my friend's floor at a sleepover after playing the original in 1999. I instantly went from "Let Silent Hill rest in peace" to "Unquantifiable excitement." Such creative potential here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
    deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

maybe Silent Hill will be good for once

carlfoster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@murdoc_: It's a reboot. The S stands for solid. Silent Hill Solid

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

maybe Silent Hill will be good for once

Oh come on!!!! That should say "I hope Silent Hill will be good for the first time in a while"

Go ahead, say Silent Hill 2 isn't a good game and I will just set my computer on fire and crawl into a hole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.