Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Hideo Kojima, Guillermo del Toro Working on New Silent Hill

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Well I'll be damned, that is one beautiful looking... teaser?

I have to say I'm rather optimistic about this. Kojima and Del Toro working on the same title could produce results that are, quite frankly, effin' bananas.

If everything Del Toro put his name on actually came out we'd never need another game, TV or movie director ever again.

While I understand the criticism, I don't think it's particularly fair in this case. The only difference between Del Toro and any other director in Hollywood is that he answers questions when asked. Most projects with his name attached to them are mirrored all across filmmaking but, again, other directors don't really publicize their existence.

I mean, sure, he could tighten his lips a bit, but then again I kinda like knowing that he's trying to get At the Mountains of Madness made, for instance. Even if it fell through, the fact that someone out there was trying lifted my spirits for awhile.

HassaniSabbah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

You thought there was just one hill? You thought wrong.

I don't really like horror games, but goofy reveals like this are why I still like video games.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Draxyle

It seems like this'll be the first time since Silent Hill 4 that they're putting a modicum of effort into the franchise, but I can't help but feel annoyed that Kojima is tied to it. It's like Konami can't release a game without his name on it anymore, completely forgetting that they have (or had) other amazing talent on the sidelines.

Either way, still somewhat excited to see a big budget horror game, but I'm still gonna be cautious about it.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By gaminghooligan

This was a really cool way to reveal this.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill on PS4 and directed by Hideo Kojima sounds like the greatest fucking most insane things I've ever heard. Fuck this news because it is almost too good for the internet.

...Guillermo Del Toro and Norman Reedus....Holy Moses....They're really trying to nail this reboot...That is some serious clout.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Silent Hills will just be a teaser for Frog Fractions 2.

Calling it now.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

Remember the Dog ending from SH2? Considering the plot to Metal Gear, I'm guessing that the Dog ending will be the canon ending for all Silent Hills from here on out.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Insisting Kojima's involvement means it won't be good? This is the sound of people laughing their asses off. With the last many years of Silent Hill, adding him means it has a chance of once again becoming worthy of the name not just in writing but most importantly gameplay.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By GaspoweR

@patrickklepek said:

@loktarogar said:

Norman Reedus will always be a Boondock Saint before a Walking Dead guy as far as I'm concerned.

On this, we can 100% agree.

I was about to say THIS as well...BUT YOU BEAT ME TO IT LOTAROGAAAAAAR!!!!!!

Also we can finally get that Silent Hill + D12's Purple Hills/Pills Mashup that I've been waiting for.

Loading Video...

It'll be name "Purple Silent Hills" ofcourse.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draxyle said:

It seems like this'll be the first time since Silent Hill 4 that they're putting a modicum of effort into the franchise, but I can't help but feel annoyed that Kojima is tied to it. It's like Konami can't release a game without his name on it anymore, completely forgetting that they have (or had) other amazing talent on the sidelines for decades.

Either way, still somewhat excited to see a big budget horror game, but I'm still gonna be cautious about it.

Even if it's just his name on it, it gets people talking. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a complete reinvention of the series but barely anyone talked about it or played it (being Wii exclusive didn't help), and that's a goddamn shame. Downpour was another game that took a fresh approach to the series and nailed plenty of aspects key to a good Silent Hill title (which, granted, was also mired in bugs and crappy combat), and again, everyone took it as some sort of D-tier terribad title not worth wiping your ass with.

Konami has been serious about Silent Hill during the last generation, but nobody was paying attention or, more succinctly, nobody wanted to pay attention. Slapping Kojima's name on it, involving Del Toro, and even hiring Norman Reedus who plays the most popular character on all of TV right now to star is just Konami finally standing up and saying "pay attention to these games goddamn it!"

And I have to say, it's working.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I am so into this.

Fuck. Yes.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is the most interested I have ever been, and likely will ever be, in a Silent Hill game.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By biospank

Seriously PK??

the P.T teaser demo was quite good had the atmosphere that I wanted from a Silent hill game.

I am wondering if its going to follow the Silent hill lore that's would mean 1-4 since the rest was garbage in that department. Or is it going to be something new?

Even tough I love the Cult soap opera from 1 to 4, I hope its not going to feel like the idiotic cult from 5 and onwards.

Seversk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Insisting Kojima's involvement means it won't be good? This is the sound of people laughing their asses off. With the last many years of Silent Hill, adding him means it has a chance of once again becoming worthy of the name not just in writing but most importantly gameplay.

I'm just hoping every Kojima related piece of news written by Patrick won't end with "Oh and I also don't like Kojima so there".

GRIMREEFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By GRIMREEFZ

shouldnt he be working on mgs?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ThunderSlash

@d_w said:

Remember the Dog ending from SH2? Considering the plot to Metal Gear, I'm guessing that the Dog ending will be the canon ending for all Silent Hills from here on out.

UFO ending or bust.

Silent Hills will just be a teaser for Frog Fractions 2.

Calling it now.

It's gonna be an Animal Crossing style game where people create and visit each others' Silent Hills.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Metal Gear fan I say, fuck yes... But..

Why was this PT longer than ground zeroes...: (

Kinggi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And like that Silent Hill is saved. Long live Kojima god of all

megatonnes legit~

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the same thing that was teased during the press conference with the really bad "here are some clips of totally real people actually honest-to-god scared"? Because that didn't really paint a good picture for me... When I think "Silent Hill", I don't think "scare cam" and "jump spooks".

TimeLeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Kojima made some questionable decisions recently, but the amount of good shit he's put out far outweighs this.

I personally think that he's a great choice, Silent Hill's been in need of something fresh for so long and Kojima's brand of weird storytelling should fit perfectly!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: My jimmies get rustled by that too. If there's anything wrong with Ground Zeroes it's that the campaign is shorter than the learning curve. The story beats were genuinely horrifying. Hideo Kojima cannot be silenced!

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if even Kojima can top this:

Loading Video...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@blacklagoon: yeah I was stuck for about 40 minutes earlier. I could get different things to happen but nothing that triggered the cutscene. Definitely about peed myself on the stream earlier.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MooseyMcMan

FRIENDLY REMINDER:

Comments with unmarked spoilers in them will be deleted. I understand wanting to reference Ground Zeroes here, but do not spoil the game here.

EDIT: This includes quoting other comments with spoilers in them that may have missed deletion, or whatever.

There is already a thread about what you are talking about in relation to Ground Zeroes. It's a few months old, but you can go there to discuss this to your heart's content.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@spraynardtatum: I'd also add that after the whole brouhaha of the rape-by-proxy tape (which is in itself a small segment amidst a much more horrifying chronology), I was a bit confused as to what people were so up in arms about. The whole thing is handled with utter delicacy. All of the nasty business people don't want in their videogames is heavily inferred but not outright stated. Someone could mistake the scene for someone getting beaten/tortured and I could see it from that perspective.

I did not enjoy listening to those tapes, but it definitely contextualized both the villain and the plight of supporting characters that, for many MGS fans at least, were rather close to the heart. Both Paz and Chico were (are?) highly endearing characters from Peace Walker, and it was really difficult to hear them suffer the way they did.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a thread on why the rape tape is good or bad, so we should probably end it here.

Ignore the above if you don't want spoilers for Ground Zeroes. Missed Moosey's post while typing it.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@beardyduck:

Spoilers for Ground Zeroes

Plenty of films tackles rape as a subject smartly and with finesse. You're playing on words here, what @brasshi said was that depiction of rape in Ground Zeroes was sleazy (and I kind of agree with him). It is not because you tackle a subject like rape that you have to resort to cheap, incredibly explicit depictions of it. Curiously enough, Polanski's Repulsion is one of those good film. You wouldn't argue that a film like I Spit on Your Grave is smart about how it tackles rape. Ground Zeroes is about on the same level.

I'm excited for that project though, as I am for MGS 5, even if I don't always like Kojima's work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
    deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@spacecouncil said:

maybe Silent Hill will be good for once

Oh come on!!!! That should say "I hope Silent Hill will be good for the first time in a while"

Go ahead, say Silent Hill 2 isn't a good game and I will just set my computer on fire and crawl into a hole.

I will say Silent Hill 2 is categorically qualified to be called a videogame. A piece of interactive software designed to be entertaining.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By spraynardtatum

^^^^^^^^MARK WITH SPOILERS QUICKLY!^^^^^^^

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If PT is an indication of what these two brought to the table, bring it on. The best jumpscares and flat out disturbing horror I've had in games ever, done without the screamo-Hollywood style that gets so old and tired that it ruins everything. Outlast was a a pain in the ass gimme-a-break-gtfo experience where the scary monsters got in the way of me trying to read the interesting story. PT already beat that.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loomies said:

Ugh kojima is going to mess up this game. Phil is right'

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/499333925731598336

You can't mess up a franchise that has been dead for more than 10 years.

If your expectation for a new Silent Hill game is "it needs to be as good as one of the greatest games ever made (SH2)", then you're obviously going to be disappointed.

Arcloxs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would pay to read a review written by Patrick, for a game made by both Hideo Kojima and Tetsuya Nomura.

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By WrathOfGod

I AM A KOJIMA GUY.

KOJIMA'S CLIENT, GUILLERMO DEL TORO, IS THE ONE BEHIND NINE-AND-ONE, THE ONE THAT WILL BREAK THE STREAK OF POOR SILENT HILL GAMES.

No but really, I love Kojima and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Avatar image for digitaldiatribe
    digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well, time to play Silent Hill games to get brushed up on the lore and junk.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

One of my favourite directors.

One of my favourite game makers.

One of my favourite game series.

Sa da te!

countrybumsbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By spraynardtatum

@somejerk: FUUUUUUUDDGGEE you have me so excited to play that darn thing. I'm at 80% downloaded and just want to see what the muck it is! ANTICIPATION IS KILLLIIIINNNNGGG MMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited to see Kojima and Del Toro collaborate on something. They are best (twitter) friends.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By soldierg654342

This is the most interested I have ever been, and likely will ever be, in a Silent Hill game.

That's a huge shame. For all the limelight 2 gets, 3 is a stellar game a probably the last great survival horror game ever made.

I'm super excited for and interested in this. There is literally no where for Silent Hill to go but up at this point.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@soldierg654342 said:

@mooseymcman said:

That's a huge shame. For all the limelight 2 gets, 3 is a stellar game a probably the last great survival horror game ever made.

I'm super excited for and interested in this. There is literally no where for Silent Hill to go but up at this point.

I've just never been super interested in horror games, at least not ones that aren't Resident Evil. And even though, it's really only the ones that are action games (4 and 5) that I like.

But after playing PT (didn't finish it though, it gets damn obtuse, and I will all but guarantee you that Scoops does not come close to finishing it on Spookin', unless he looks up how to do it), I'm pretty intrigued in Silent Hills. I'm going to keep my eyes on this one.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@hassanisabbah: I made a comment earlier about how unmarked spoilers will be deleted.

EDIT: You quoted another comment that DID have spoilers in it, which got it deleted. Sorry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.