Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Hideo Kojima, Guillermo del Toro Working on New Silent Hill

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Kojima has already proven that he can make a game that screws with player expectations in a big way with MGS2 (Anyone remember Colonel going nuts? And also how Solidus seems more like the good guy the more you think about it?) If he can tap into some of that for Silent Hills, I'm down. Del Toro being attached to this is also pretty awesome.

I just hope that this isn't a game in the vein of Outlast or Amnesia. Those are both great games, but the amount of crappy copycat games is astounding.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By mrcraggle
    @loomies said:

Ugh kojima is going to mess up this game. Phil is right'

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/499333925731598336

Phil Fish came back and the internet didn't explode <_< >_>

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By devitiffany

I've yet to be disappointed with a Metal Gear Solid game and the first Lords of Shadow was amazing. I love this news. It's two of my favorite directions working on one of my favorite video game franchises. I can't wait to see more of it.

This makes The Phantom Pain make a lot more sense in a way what with it having all those flying fire whales, flaming horses, and asylum ghosts.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Insisting Kojima's involvement means it won't be good? This is the sound of people laughing their asses off. With the last many years of Silent Hill, adding him means it has a chance of once again becoming worthy of the name not just in writing but most importantly gameplay.

Exactly, Kojima has made nothing but outstanding games...I would guarantee the Metacritic scores on games he's directed is higher than just about any other game creator out there...Silent Hill is the only thing here with a bad track record, and he's one of the few men left at Konami that can make it right.

I'm extremely excited about this there's no way this isn't at least the best Silent Hill since 4.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By spraynardtatum

Kojima means it's going to be crazy, Del Toro means the monsters are going to look amazing, and Norman Reedus means it's gunna have some heart.

I think I'm going to make it my goal to play through Silent Hill 2 and 3 this Halloween.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierg654342 said:

@mooseymcman said:

This is the most interested I have ever been, and likely will ever be, in a Silent Hill game.

That's a huge shame. For all the limelight 2 gets, 3 is a stellar game a probably the last great survival horror game ever made.

I'm super excited for and interested in this. There is literally no where for Silent Hill to go but up at this point.

I've just never been super interested in horror games, at least not ones that aren't Resident Evil. And even though, it's really only the ones that are action games (4 and 5) that I like.

But after playing PT (didn't finish it though, it gets damn obtuse, and I will all but guarantee you that Scoops does not come close to finishing it on Spookin', unless he looks up how to do it), I'm pretty intrigued in Silent Hills. I'm going to keep my eyes on this one.

That's fair. Though 3 has the best combat in the series, it's rather light, especially compared to the early Resident Evil games. Where Resident Evil falls on the "survival" side of the spectrum, Silent Hill is way farther into the "horror" side. YOu're not going to be figuring out the bullets-to-health exchange rate in a Silent Hill game.

darkest4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By darkest4

Anyways, haven't played a Silent Hill game in a long time but I'm excited for this. Some impressive talent and twisted, crazy minds working on the already twisted Silent Hill franchise could make for a hell of a game and brilliant marketing this was.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By devitiffany

If you think Kojima is a bad thing for this game, think of all the weird shit that has happened in the Metal Gear franchise before.

All the fourth wall breaking stuff Psycho Mantis did. Hell, Psycho Mantis himself could have been a Silent Hill character.

The end of MGS2 when everyone on the codec went crazy and did all that creepy meta stuff

The Sorrow and how you had to wade through everyone you killed in the game

All the sexual violence allegories within the Beauty & The Beast squad which made them twice as creepy, they might as well have been mannequins from Silent Hill 2.

As far as I'm concerned Kojima is perfect.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I hope its more like Silent Hill Shattered Memories, That was honestly the scarest Silent Hill game i have ever played, At least the first time. Running through the same paths multipule times sucked. But The tension of no way to fight, and knowing that the world just decided to fuck your day up was great.

deathinstinct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So excited for this I can't explain. 100% Silent Hill + del Toro excitement. Could care less about Hideo. New silent hill!!!!!!!

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By fram

Hahahaha nothing is being "ruined" or "hijacked" here. Person is just making a (valid) point. I'm excited as fuck for this news, but I can't ignore the obvious Kojima-isms that seem to permeate through whatever game his name is on either. The best Silent Hill games strike a very delicate balance of tone/character/action, and delicate is not a word I'd use to describe Kojima's sensibilities.

That's why I'm especially excited about del Toro's involvement. Dude is a master of character and tone.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hideo Kojima is a terrible, terrible writer, and the sooner this industry leaves his shadow, the better.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This all seems cool in concept but Hideo Kojima is about the least subtle developer I can think of and every Del Toro film i've seen has been bombastic as hell. He'd be perfect for Metal Gear but Silent Hill?

I dont know, maby it will work.

Also Norman Reedus was terrible in The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. But maby it's my fault for playing that game.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really stoked about one of the people involved in this. It's not Kojima. I would be fine with Kojima sticking his name on it and letting Del Toro take the reins. Also Norman Reedus, that's cool.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Silent Hills 90210

JordanaRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is really really interesting.

Also its becoming more and more apparent that actors being mocapped and "playing" characters in games but still looking like themselves (as opposed to, say, troy baker in the last of us) is going to become a thing in a big way. Now that the tech is there the lines are being blurred between actors and voice actors in games.

SilentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hideo Kojima is a terrible, terrible writer, which will probably make this the best game ever.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was having a bad day, but after hearing this I'M SO EXCITED! I just can't hide it anymore man, I feel like I'm about to lose control...and I think I like it.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope to the gods that Akira Yamaoka is on board for this.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White_Lando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Silent Hill really need two filmmakers working on it?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#123  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Its okay Silent Hills is PS4 only, but its not okay Rise of the Tomb Raider is XONE only.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh good, i can't wait to play as another real person in my video game

Set

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uh... what's wrong with Kojima

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@viciousbearmauling said:

@spacecouncil said:

maybe Silent Hill will be good for once

Oh come on!!!! That should say "I hope Silent Hill will be good for the first time in a while"

Go ahead, say Silent Hill 2 isn't a good game and I will just set my computer on fire and crawl into a hole.

I will say Silent Hill 2 is categorically qualified to be called a videogame. A piece of interactive software designed to be entertaining.

I'm going to just walk away. I will not get into this, because it will get ugly, and nobody wants that.

You are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that.

EVEN IF THAT OPINION IS SO FUCKING WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Most people are gonna flip out over this news. I want to flip out over this news (del Toro!!!!), but I'm not the biggest Kojima fan lately. But maybe it'll work out the same way as Lords of Shadow? Everyone wins? I guess?

Unless you absolutely hate the Lords of Shadow series, anyway.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friggin'. Awesome. Don't know who that third guy is, but Kojima and del Toro? Sign me up.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By hassun

As long as Del Toro can manage to rein in Kojima's insanity it should be fine.

I wonder if anything from Del Toro's inSANE morphed into this thing.

@patrickklepek

Guillermo del Toro has talked about his passion for video games at lengh.

You seem to have cut the "t" off at the end there.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

This has me excited. VERY excited. My love of SH combined with my love of del Toro further combined with the badassery of Norman Reedus sounds incredibly promising.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it actually Silent Hills? With an s on the end? That is really stupid. I thought it was a stylized 5 at first, none of the sequels after 4 were numbed so they could pull off 5 if they wanted to, sort of like what Resident Evil did/does but if that really is an s that sounds super super super fucking dumb. Like, why did no one working for them point out how dumb it is levels dumb.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Hopefully, this news means the game will be the next step in the series that's been dying out over the last 4 years.

maccaibre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hideo Kojima is a terrible, terrible writer, and the sooner this industry leaves his shadow, the better.

It's in bold so it must be true!

hellforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spacecouncil said:

Oh come on!!!! That should say "I hope Silent Hill will be good for the first time in a while"

Go ahead, say Silent Hill 2 isn't a good game and I will just set my computer on fire and crawl into a hole.

Silent Hill 2 isn't terrible. In fact, I would say it's a very good game.

NoodleUnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The grammar in this article is even scarier than Silent Hill. Good lord.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By handlas
    @hellforce said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

@spacecouncil said:

Silent Hill 2 isn't terrible. In fact, I would say it's a very good game.

Silent Hill 4: The Room is a highly underrated game. I dare say, the best in the series. Only unfortunate thing being the American voice actor for the main character is horrible.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This excites me not at all.

Brad3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so sick of everyone talking about how Silent Hill has been shitty/dead for 10 years. It has certainly seen its ups and downs but Downpour was genuinely my favorite Silent Hill since 2. It had some mediocre monster designs and combat that felt almost broken at first, but the story, environments and puzzles were up there with the best of them. I honestly believe most of you going on about how bad it was never even played it, you just read a bunch of reviews and made some assumptions. Well the SH games have NEVER reviewed well - Silent Hill 2 got all 7s in EGM when it came out.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Kojima and Silent Hill has me excited.

Never really cared about Reedus's character on the Walking Dead, but that probably has more to do with how poorly written that show was when I gave up on it.

Del Toro is fine, I guess. I really enjoyed The Devil's Backbone but nothing else I've seen of his has really done anything for me.

Sydlanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Sydlanel

Honestly I loved the P.T. teaser but I fear for the whole game.
    Neither Guillermo del Toro nor Hideo Kojima are particularly skilful at handling subtlety or character depth, and even with as much fucked up shit that goes on in Silent Hill (particularly 2 which I think is probably the best one), the handling of emotional / psychological topics is surprisingly mature and smart, which pushed the games beyond other similar experiences in he genre.

the team seems to have the suspense building down ( probably the scariest first hour I've experienced in any game ), but I just hope they can deliver in the narrative depth area.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

shouldnt he be working on mgs?

Maybe the newly opened Konami LA will handle it? And maybe Guillermo del Toro will be directing / writing it, while Kojima provides the technology, and maybe as an adviser?

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My good sir, you now have my full attention.

Please, continue.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

Kojima is an instant turn-off...

Agreed.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By John1912

Sounds great! Glad to see the series isnt disappearing. I guess Im one of the few people of actually loved Downpour. I thought it had great atmosphere. The rain was a intelligent spin over just having the fog everywhere. It gave a nice sense of dread, a real reason to take shelter and explore the buildings when the rain started to pour.

I also really loved the side quests. It gave the town a lived in feel. I felt like a bit of a voyeur rummaging through the empty homes and learning about the people who lived there. It was rough around the edges like every Silent Hill game, but ended up being my favorite next to Silent Hill 2 which doenst hold up all that well today. Sad it was generally shit on. Looking at you Patrick! People have such weird expectations with Silent Hill and horror games in general. If it doesnt hit the right notes, they just want nothing to do with it.

Nightfang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I saw the teaser and it was great!

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#146  Edited By MudMan

That list of names doesn't even make sense. I mean, Kojima, Del Toro, Reedus, Silent Hill...

I just... it may be the highest profile set of people on any game discussed this Gamescom and Sony didn't even mention any of them. That's so weird. It barely makes sense.

I love it.

I mean, you connect the dots after the fact. Kojima gushing about Pacific Rim, both of them wanting to work on Silent Hill... but still, that's like a fanboy throwing the most famous names they know at their dream project on a comment thread. Business deals like these normally don't just fall into place.

And hey, while I'm more than willing to believe I'm not gonna like The Phantom Pain based on Ground Zeroes, that doesn't mean I'm over anything Kojima ever makes just because of that. If nothing else, the way this was revealed smacks of Kojima's showmanship, and there's literally no way to screw up Silent Hill more than it currently is.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P.T actually made me uncomfortable and creeped out. With these guys involved it seems like this can be something. Might get me to actually buy a Silent Hill game that isn't Shattered Memories.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vincentvendetta said:

Hideo Kojima is a terrible, terrible writer, which will probably make this the best game ever.

Don't play the games. People like us will continue to play and enjoy them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know how to beat this? I'm at the end and don't get it. I don't know how to get all the pictures or whatever I have to do.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By xyzygy

I wonder if this will go multiplatform. I really hope so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.