Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Silent Hill Games. Console or PC?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

So my girlfriend wants to play through the main line silent hill games, and I see there's about a million different ways to get them. I have no experience playing these games myself so I was wondering what the best platforms to play them on are? Are the PC ports all broken garbage? Or will I need to find the old console versions? Do the PC ports all have controller support?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

The PC version of 2 (the only good Silent Hill) is fine but the fog and the shadows look worse than the PS2 version.

The PC versions of 3 and 4 have the usual Japanese PC port problems (bad controls, very selective controller support, locked framerate).

If you have a powerful enough PC I'd recommend just emulating the PS2 versions.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I played SH3 on both the PS2 and the PC, and they were both fine. The PC version of Silent Hill 3 is fantastic looking and very well optimized. SH2 I've only played on the PC, and it was also pretty much fine there; had a weird issue where it wouldn't run correctly at first but a few google searches/option changes later it ran just fine, and this was on an absolutely terrible old computer.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hassun

Might as well play them on PC if you can get them. Unless a hassle-free experience is very important to you. In that case go PS2 or Xbox (not for 3 of course).

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Atwa

http://i.imgur.com/oSJZtqG.jpg

This has some general instructions how to improve the PC versions. I would say get Silent Hill 1 off PSN, then somehow aquire the PC versions and play those with the following patches and stuff.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#6  Edited By donutfever

PC is fine, will need Xpadder to use triggers and D-Pad. HD Remakes are bad.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Thanks guys. Going to try the PC side first, but she needs a controller to play games so I may try the emulator stuff. Figured this would be the route to go but I wanted to hear from folks that have played the games since they were never my thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.