Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Silent Hill HD games to have brand-new VAs

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

IGN has reported that both Silent Hill 2 and 3 will sport a brand-new cast of actors. Link.

I don't really know how I feel about this. The first Silent Hill game clearly had very poor voice acting, but I remember Silent Hill 2's and 3's to be quite good, if not great. Heather Mason's voice in particular is quite iconic to me; if they change her, it might put me off. Well, let's not depress over this yet, as we did not see any video of the game. I'm sure Konami is taking this project at heart, if they are willing to recast the whole games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Good:

Maria/Mary Sunderland
    Heather Mason
    Vincent

Bad:

James Sunderland
    Laura
    Eddie
    The entire cast of Silent Hill 1

Ugly:

Angela Orosco

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

I kinda remember SH to have notoriously bad voice acting, in every game. Or maybe it was the dialogue, I can't remember.

But if they're changing the actors, what else is changing? I'd like to see a bigger overhaul than just the graphics; I love SH but I already have the games, I don't need to buy them again for better textures.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

Why would you try to capitalize on nostalgia and at the same time remove one of the most distinctive things about the game. It'd be like replacing the voice of Solid snake in the HD collection from David Hayter with Gilbert Godfried.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By soldierg654342

Unless Guy Chi is re-recording for James, they just lost a sale. 

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bocam

James Sunderland's voice was the best part of that game

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Riddell
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    Unless Guy Chi is re-recording for James, they just lost a sale. 
    Really? Really?
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam
    @AuthenticM said:

I don't really know how I feel about this.

Well I do: It's crap.

I actually rather have a version of the old SH2 that I can play on 360 because the Xbox is not really compatible with the 360.
    DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrBendo

It seems like a stupid move. The original voice acting was far from top-notch, but replacing it makes little sense. They'll piss off a number of fans, and I doubt they'll increase sales. 

I wouldn't mind a replacement for Heather, as I found her voice intolerable (though, in fairness, the character was intolerable, too), but it doesn't seem like it would be worth extra spending. The voice work is bad, and it may hinder the experience for the younger set, which is accustomed to higher standards and didn't play Silent Hill the first time around. I can't help but think, though, that having new voices in game's with which I have incredible familiarity could be a little jarring. The best route would be to re-cast the same voice actors wherever possible and re-record dialogue in line with today's standards.

I'll probably pick the game up despite the changes and the absence of The Room (which was incredibly under-rated), but the way Konami is treating it - the nature of the announcement, the voicework, and such - makes me question the eventual price. Neither a two game Silent Hill set nor a MGS redux would be worth full price.

Avatar image for arthursunderland
    ArthurSunderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArthurSunderland

Yeah, I just didn't like the new VA's. Maybe it's just because I was used to the original ones, dunno... but what makes me even more sad is the fact that they're probably going to replace Heather's voice actress too, and she was almost the entire soul on that game. I'll probably get it in the near future, despite these facts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.