Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jan 12, 2003

Sim City 4, the fourth iteration of the classic Sim City series, updates the graphics and expands on the gameplay systems of its predecessors.

Tickle me Suprised that this Game is on Steam

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

It's like Valve really can read my brain:

There are those that claim that SimCity 4 and Rush Hour were the last real SimCity games ever made, and those people would be correct. In fact if I can be so dramatic I would say that SimCity Societies stands as one of my personal most disappointing games ever made. Zoning was the greatest thing to ever happen to the series so why you would ever want to revert back to building dropping is beyond me. It shames me to say that I know people whose only experience of SimCity was the stupid SNES version of SimCity original. If you are one of those people you bring shame to this site and your family name. Now I'm gonna zone some high wealth/high density housing in a low income town with a contaminated water supply and no electricity. Then eventually destroy it using a monster robot and then a volcano, and if I'm feeling really excited I might just earthquake it to hell.

I should note that SimCity 4 is the densest and most complicated edition of the SimCity franchise and effectively marked the end of the zoning and city planning days of the game series (personally I blame The Sims for convincing people to dumb down the series). If you've really never played any of the PC SimCity games you should find a way to play 3000 Unlimited; I want to say 2000 but Arcologies were dumb and broke the game. In fact I'm not ashamed to admit that I still have the SimCity 3000 game guide: 
     Man That Game was Great...
    Someone somewhere must be aware that there are people like me who would pay good money for a really good SimCity game...someone somewhere somehow....
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

It's like Valve really can read my brain:

There are those that claim that SimCity 4 and Rush Hour were the last real SimCity games ever made, and those people would be correct. In fact if I can be so dramatic I would say that SimCity Societies stands as one of my personal most disappointing games ever made. Zoning was the greatest thing to ever happen to the series so why you would ever want to revert back to building dropping is beyond me. It shames me to say that I know people whose only experience of SimCity was the stupid SNES version of SimCity original. If you are one of those people you bring shame to this site and your family name. Now I'm gonna zone some high wealth/high density housing in a low income town with a contaminated water supply and no electricity. Then eventually destroy it using a monster robot and then a volcano, and if I'm feeling really excited I might just earthquake it to hell.

I should note that SimCity 4 is the densest and most complicated edition of the SimCity franchise and effectively marked the end of the zoning and city planning days of the game series (personally I blame The Sims for convincing people to dumb down the series). If you've really never played any of the PC SimCity games you should find a way to play 3000 Unlimited; I want to say 2000 but Arcologies were dumb and broke the game. In fact I'm not ashamed to admit that I still have the SimCity 3000 game guide: 
    Someone somewhere must be aware that there are people like me who would pay good money for a really good SimCity game...someone somewhere somehow....
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

You should be tickled surprised if their are Steam achievements and cloud based support.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I wouldn't mind a new SimCity, but it'd have to do something really great to draw me in for more than a nostalgic trip.  SimCity was one of the few games we were allowed to play back in my high school days (ugh, over ten years ago), and guess what I spent the majority of my free time at school doing.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Baillie

I shall not tickle you, but I'm just going to say that I really enjoyed SimCity 3000. Is 4 worth picking up?

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b

Sim City 3000 was brilliant I still play sim city 4 from time to time,  
    AoE II was and is my nostalgic pc hit of my youth though, everyone played it, Man I love that game. 
    Music was awesome
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Cramsy

Hell of a game! And yes the music is one of the best things about that game. Oh and god mode! *re installs Sim City4 *

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By mracoon

I actually bought Sim City 4 on Steam even though I already own it.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By c1337us

Can't say I ever really like any SimCity game.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @Br3adfan: You want nostalgia here's the intro sequence for SimCity 3000 Unlimited.
    @Baillie:  Yes absolutely.
    @Cramsy: The entire SimCity franchise has always had great music thanks to Jerry Martin. Personally I liked the soundtrack for SimCity 3000 the most.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm one of the people who has never played anything except the original Sim City, and that must have been more than 10 years ago. I like my games to have a little more... purpose. However, if Steam ever puts it on sale for like a dollar then I will probably get it. Yes. That's my interest level.

Unfortunately, I doubt they will ever make another one *in the foreseeable future*. The Sims and Spore are the profitable husks of Will Wright's creative management games, and EA will cash whore the hell out of both (as if the Sims hasn't already been cash whored enough). Is it sad? Certainly.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Sim City 2000 will always be the greatest Sim City to me. I played and enjoyed 3000 and 4, but 2000 will always hold a soft spot in my heart.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Maxis should be making Sim City 5 instead of Darkspore.  Sim City with some of the tech from Spore would be rad.  I want a building/road/etc. creator, like the Spore character creator, and the content sharing tech they already built for Spore.  Not necessarily because I want to design a bunch of crazy buildings, but the combined audience would create tons of awesome content.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JaredA

I saw this. Was going to buy it. Then realized I was broke:(    

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aronman789

ah yes, simcity...i have fond memories of killing everyone in my cities over and over and over and over and over and over and over 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Oh man, I easily put 100+ hours into Sim City 4, and also added about 3 gigs of mods. The modding community for that game is still alive and active, proving that there is money to be made in city planner games.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Dalai

I have that same guide... never be ashamed for owning it. 

Seeing as I was a moderator for the largest SimCity community site for a few years, it wouldn't be stretch to say that I love everything about the SimCity franchise pre-SimCity Societies.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB

I actually own Sim City 4 but have never played it.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By EquitasInvictus

SimCity brings back a lot of good memories. I was really drawn into my own copy of SimCity 3000 Unlimited myself (after a few encounters of SimCity 2000 on other PCs at school and at relatives') and spent countless amount of hours immersing myself in everything about it that made it so complicated. I remember being a kid struggling to have his first R$$$ high-rise built, messing around with disasters, playing with some interesting scenarios (some downloaded) while trying my had at making my own and even messing around with cheats to be able to build anything I wanted. 

SimCity 4 was rough for me. I never bought the expansion proper and so I just had such a hard time simply breaking even. 

Seeing SimCity 4 Deluxe on Steam, however, was a pleasant surprise. I ended up buying it and once again tried my hand at city planning for several of days practically straight (and I also picked up some amazing mods, primarily the traffic improvement one, NAM). By the time I had played myself to exhaustion I had filled almost an entire region of a well-networked and predominantly high-value cities.  

I'd like to say these kinds of games stand the test of time as even several of years later I can still play them thoroughly as if it were any contemporary game!

Max422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Max422

@MattyFTM said:

Sim City 2000 will always be the greatest Sim City to me. I played and enjoyed 3000 and 4, but 2000 will always hold a soft spot in my heart.

Never play SimCity 2000 before, but I prefer SimCity 3000 better than SimCity 4.

btw, SimCity 5 is coming. :)

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By xymox

Bought it during the steam sale and felt that I had gotten my money's worth (got exactly what I wanted out of a simcity game) within the first two or so hours. The... tutorial was a bit confusing though, as you can kind of screw yourself over by closing the tutorial mid-tutorial. So at first I was like "oooookay? what do you want me to do, game?". My first "flirt" with city simulation was simcity 2000 for the PC. I loved that game, but I hated how it would randomly cause disasters and break my shit (at least, that's what I think was what happened). But I sucked at that game. I couldn't play it without "callcousinvinny" (that was S2000 right?) because it was unplayable for my feeble mind back then. I come back to the series in SimCity 4 with a term/semester's worth of university level spacial planning under my belt, having read stuff like Putting Women In Place by Domosh/Seager and The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jacobs. Also spent a lot of time working with programs like ArcGIS. From a city planning perspective, SimCity is easymode ;). I kicked Simcity 4's ass, so I feel good about that. First time I've ever been able to hold a positive income in a simcity game (I've tried some demos over the years and have been equally horrible at them).

RagingBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RagingBrain

I'm glad you figured it out. I can't help but waste money on shiny universities and giant medical institutions. :D I'm always skint within a few hours.

Can't wait for the new game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.