Hurry for Beta Keys

Avatar image for funkydupe
#1 Edited by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -
Avatar image for funkydupe
#2 Edited by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

That. Was. Quick.

The keys are GONE.

We will be releasing 1000 free keys for the SimCity Closed Beta each day for 5 days.
If you miss out today, make sure to check back daily.
January 21, 2013 08:00
January 25, 2013 23:59
- http://www.facebook.com/NVIDIAGeForce

Hence: "Beta Weekend play valid from January 25th-27th 2013." So the key will let you test this weekend.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#3 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Funkydupe: What time will you be releasing the keys tomorrow?

Avatar image for funkydupe
#4 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: I'm not the one releasing keys, I'm sorry I'll correct that. I've just been copy & pasting the info as I got it. The keys came up 9AM PST today and the day before so I think you can expect something similar tomorrow.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#5 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Cool, thanks!

Avatar image for paulwade1984
#6 Posted by paulwade1984 (493 posts) -

It'll take me all weekend just to download it. Damn you British Telecom.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (5746 posts) -

Fuck

Avatar image for fattony12000
#8 Posted by Fattony12000 (8322 posts) -

@paulwade1984: Seems fine. Give me your keys. ALL YOUR QIS.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for funkydupe
#9 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

A comment from a current "tester":

A one hour slice is a promotional demo, not a "beta". Fuck you, EA.

:)

Still. Some consider one hour better than nothing, no?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#10 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

A comment from a current "tester":

A one hour slice is a promotional demo, not a "beta". Fuck you, EA.

:)

Still. Some consider one hour better than nothing, no?

It's only one hour? Ah screw that then.

Avatar image for bollard
#11 Posted by Bollard (7686 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@paulwade1984: Seems fine. Give me your keys. ALL YOUR QIS.

No Caption Provided

If only I had a key...

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#12 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

I thought they were giving keys away for five days, but apparently all the keys are gone now. Sad, there better be some let's play videos for this or I'ma be hella pissed.

Avatar image for marz
#13 Posted by Marz (6072 posts) -
@RollingZeppelin said:

I thought they were giving keys away for five days, but apparently all the keys are gone now. Sad, there better be some let's play videos for this or I'ma be hella pissed.

there's an NDA so i doubt it.
Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#14 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Marz: Aw man, as with most shitty things in life, I blame EA.

Avatar image for saft
#15 Edited by SaFt (604 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@Fattony12000 said:

@paulwade1984: Seems fine. Give me your keys. ALL YOUR QIS.

If only I had a key...

If only...

No Caption Provided

Wait, never mind.

Avatar image for stimpack
#16 Posted by Stimpack (1004 posts) -

DAMNIT!

Avatar image for bollard
#17 Posted by Bollard (7686 posts) -

@SaFt: I remember when I used to have 0.3/0.5

Bad times.

Avatar image for saft
#18 Posted by SaFt (604 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: Yeah, the real sad part though, is that it's supposed to be an 8Mbit Connection.

Bad times indeed.

Avatar image for funkydupe
#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Funkydupe said:

A comment from a current "tester":

A one hour slice is a promotional demo, not a "beta". Fuck you, EA.

:)

Still. Some consider one hour better than nothing, no?

It's only one hour? Ah screw that then.

and they leave a lot of buildings out of the beta as well, so I guess the demo comment isn't far away from the truth at all.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#20 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Funkydupe: wow, seems this "beta" is more of a curse than a blessing, especially considering the legal document wherein EA demands you report bugs lest they take your other EA games away. So pretty much EA wants to put in minimal effort in making a decent beta and have its customers do their QA for them, nice.

Avatar image for funkydupe
#21 Edited by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: That was a misunderstanding apparently and they've corrected it to not be the case anymore.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#22 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Ah, well then, now instead of being actively awful, its just mediocre and boring. Still excited to play the game though.

Avatar image for elrond1999
#23 Posted by elrond1999 (21 posts) -

I somehow got the Beta key, probably because I signed up ages ago and pre ordered. Now I've played my allotted hour and it really feels more like a demo than a beta. No online stuff as far as I can see, but perhaps they are gathering stats under the hood. Many buildings are locked out "Not in Beta". No neighboring cities to interact with, except for tutorial. It was just getting interesting when the hour was up. The roads were getting congested, more complaining. Higher density buildings. So someone should get on cracking the hour limit, this can not stand.

That said, it looks damn nice. Feels really polished, all down to the little plings and bells that pop off when you give them power and water, happiness increases. Ran smooth as silk, but this was a small city..

Avatar image for buft
#24 Posted by buft (3409 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@paulwade1984: Seems fine. Give me your keys. ALL YOUR QIS.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

<50 miles from liverpool, im not even in the same country but i would love your upload speed for youtube videos, would save me about 10 minutes

Avatar image for time_lord
#25 Posted by Time_Lord (793 posts) -

@elrond1999 said:

I somehow got the Beta key, probably because I signed up ages ago and pre ordered. Now I've played my allotted hour and it really feels more like a demo than a beta. No online stuff as far as I can see, but perhaps they are gathering stats under the hood. Many buildings are locked out "Not in Beta". No neighboring cities to interact with, except for tutorial. It was just getting interesting when the hour was up. The roads were getting congested, more complaining. Higher density buildings. So someone should get on cracking the hour limit, this can not stand.

That said, it looks damn nice. Feels really polished, all down to the little plings and bells that pop off when you give them power and water, happiness increases. Ran smooth as silk, but this was a small city..

Pretty much my exact feelings on the game so far I will pre order it now the after playing the Demo I just hope we can have massive cites these feel to small and cramped to be able to play the way I want.

Avatar image for fattony12000
#26 Posted by Fattony12000 (8322 posts) -

The whole thing about me showing my speednet test was about the fact that I'm on BT as well

In happier news, EA did bestow unto me a shiny new beta key this very morning. Yay! However, is anyone else finding that it takes a goddamn life-age to "Decompress Updated Data"?

Avatar image for paulwade1984
#27 Posted by paulwade1984 (493 posts) -

best thing is. I get dipshit speeds, you get hells fast lightning speeds. We all pay the same price. Its about time somebody came down hard on these fuckers.

Avatar image for fattony12000
#28 Posted by Fattony12000 (8322 posts) -

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand can't log in, servers busy. Been trying for the past hour and a half.

Thanks EA.

Avatar image for philipduck
#29 Posted by PhilipDuck (667 posts) -

Ha, this thread has turned more into people trying to show off that they have internet... Fantastic! :)

Avatar image for snail
#30 Posted by Snail (8898 posts) -

Shit.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#31 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

So I got into the beta because I think I signed up for it months ago, and now the servers are down, hooray.

Also anyone interested, they are giving away beta keys on SimCity's twitter page.

Avatar image for sackmanjones
#32 Posted by Sackmanjones (5548 posts) -

Are we allowed to talk about the beta or did they throw an nda in the terms of service?

Avatar image for funkydupe
#33 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: It is a closed beta in that they limit access, but I've seen YouTube videos stay up and I guess this is more of a PR tool than a real test at this point. I think the game looks great and it has been "The Sims" 'ed up quite a bit in the way it looks and presents menus etc. It is easy to send Feedback or bugs just by clicking a button from inside the game, I've entered a few things, I don't know if they actually read it but still. I'm looking forward to a nice time with the full version.

Avatar image for divina_rex
#34 Posted by Divina_Rex (368 posts) -

@Funkydupe

I'm having a difficult time with $. Are you?

Avatar image for funkydupe
#35 Edited by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@Divina_Rex: What makes you say that? Use the option to take up loans. It helps speed things up, as was the case in the other games.

Avatar image for subjugation
#36 Posted by Subjugation (4970 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

So I got into the beta because I think I signed up for it months ago, and now the servers are down, hooray.

This is what scares me. I'm not looking forward to being locked out of what has always been a single player game for me because of server issues.

Avatar image for funkydupe
#37 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@Subjugation: True, but how often does that happen? Minutes after Rolling posted that I went and checked and I got to play, so I don't know, it is a test for more things than just the demo version we've got, probably servers etc. It is an issue with some Steam games as well, the nature of this type of approach to DRM.

Avatar image for divina_rex
#38 Posted by Divina_Rex (368 posts) -
@Funkydupe lone help for a while but then I run out of money to pay the overhead
Avatar image for divina_rex
#39 Posted by Divina_Rex (368 posts) -

it might be just a time limit

Avatar image for subjugation
#40 Posted by Subjugation (4970 posts) -

@Funkydupe: @Funkydupe: Well that's good to hear, but I'm just afraid of another Diablo III debacle. No one ever seems to get server infrastructure right, especially at launch. I mean, who can forget error 37?

Loading Video...
Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#41 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Divina_Rex: You need a large population base so you can get that tasty tasty tax income. Don't build all of the services right away, low income citizens dont mind living in squalor, as long as there is power and water they'll be fine. Once you get some good positive income and enough capital then you can start building things like sewage pumps and garbage disposal. Once all the vital service are in then start building services like health care and education. You don't really need fire or police stations until problems start popping up. I didn't even need a fire or po po station until >50 mins in the last game I played and I was expanding like crazy. The point is that the citizens will be content with a lot less then you'd think so you can build up your population and make enough money to satisfy their higher needs.

Avatar image for funkydupe
#42 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: and in addition to that remember to don't build beyond your means. At the bottom center of the screen you are always told what your income is. When you enter the bonds/loans tab you will see how much of that income is going to be spent on maintaining the loan; so don't loan unless you can afford the rate they ask for. A larger loan will naturally be tougher to pay back over time, but that's the trade-off. You get a fast boost of cash to make important investments that needs taking care of. At the start of a city it can be nice to get a few services up and running.

Avatar image for yothatlimp
#43 Posted by YoThatLimp (2368 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

@RollingZeppelin: and in addition to that remember to don't build beyond your means. At the bottom center of the screen you are always told what your income is. When you enter the bonds/loans tab you will see how much of that income is going to be spent on maintaining the loan; so don't loan unless you can afford the rate they ask for. A larger loan will naturally be tougher to pay back over time, but that's the trade-off. You get a fast boost of cash to make important investments that needs taking care of. At the start of a city it can be nice to get a few services up and running.

Man, city sizes are kind of tiny, I can't see not filing them to the brim within an hour and a half. This game is really addictive. Just made a casino slum and was netting like 8K a month in income, was great.

Avatar image for jimbo
#44 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

"You only have an hour, so make the most of it!"

Was where I said 'Fuck you' and turned it off.

Avatar image for funkydupe
#45 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@YoThatLimp: Yeah they do seem tiny, as you've probably filled half the building area within the hour they allow us to play. What do we do when its filled up? Find ways to improve it I guess, even though that means tearing stuff down and redesigning, but I don't know. I guess they mainly want us to mass produce cities, hehe.

Avatar image for funkydupe
#46 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

I lost my connection to the internet and origin closed the beta on me a minute after. I'd be pissed if this was the finished version and I hadn't been able to save.

Avatar image for mister_v
#47 Posted by Mister_V (2356 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Look at some of the trailers. I bet the city's in the retail game as way bigger.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#48 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

@Funkydupe: Look at some of the trailers. I bet the city's in the retail game as way bigger.

Yeah, Sim City 4 had the same thing where there were some small areas and some larger areas. Hopefully there will be bigger territories available in the final retail game, I don't see why they wouldn't include that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.