Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Still Breaks 7 months after launch.

mao16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mao16

So my game starts to crashes right after the game loads a city. This happened at launch. If the game loads up a city and cannot sync to the servers for whatever reason it crashes to desktop (no error message pops up because that would make too much sense and require effort on the part of the devs). The game's log and dump file also reflect and pretty much state this (it says it's a graphical problem but the errors are consistent with launch and you can't really read dump files without source code).

I contact EA tech support and do 2 hours of basic system diagnostics. Then I am told to re-install the game. It should be noted that SimCity doesn't download from Origin. Instead you just get a launcher and that launcher downloads the game from a separate server that's capped to 3Mbps (more like 2.5). After that i'm told to use the recovery app that comes with the game. This app just basically re-downloads everything and re-installs the game. After all this i'm told the game is "experiencing problems, similar issues have been reported and we are looking into it". Note I told them I suspected the game was having server issues but they refused to answer me. Only after wasting at least 8hrs (downloading) and 2hrs directly of my time through support do they state they know "many" people are also experiencing similar issues. Oh and no where does it state on the games website, forums, twitter etc that "many" people are experiencing problems loading cities/ playing the actual game.

Oh and a new expansion is coming out soon.

Now I can't be 100% sure it's servers but that's what all the evidence points too and it has happened before. If you're going to store all player saves on servers and almost nothing locally, you'd better be sure your system works. Especially if your game is a single player focused game with no actual multiplayer or benefits for... that's another problem entirely.

SimCity still catching fire sporadically 7 months after launch. And these are just the technical problems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.